Two questions re ICS

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
So after getting ICS, I noticed I'm getting a lot of "Low memory" messages on my NS4G.. I haven't checked today after rebooting, but that leads me to my next question.

I use Exchange e-mail on my phone, and ICS suddenly is REQUIRING to encrypt my phone.. Which is a pain in the ass because now I have to constantly unlock it with a PIN #. Why would I HAVE to encrypt my phone just because I'm using Exchange mail? Is that a requirement of my company's Exchange server?

If I want to get rid of Exchange mail and "decrypt" my phone, I know I have to reset it to Factory Defaults.. Will it reset to ICS or Gingerbread at this point, and will I need to save my data on the SD partition first?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So after getting ICS, I noticed I'm getting a lot of "Low memory" messages on my NS4G.. I haven't checked today after rebooting, but that leads me to my next question.

I use Exchange e-mail on my phone, and ICS suddenly is REQUIRING to encrypt my phone.. Which is a pain in the ass because now I have to constantly unlock it with a PIN #. Why would I HAVE to encrypt my phone just because I'm using Exchange mail? Is that a requirement of my company's Exchange server?

If I want to get rid of Exchange mail and "decrypt" my phone, I know I have to reset it to Factory Defaults.. Will it reset to ICS or Gingerbread at this point, and will I need to save my data on the SD partition first?

Well there is an option... If you need to reset your device you can use the tool below to backup your device...

[BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)

Then head over to the NS4G Rooting and Hacking forums and there is a sticky for Restore to Stock which now has an updated app in there to reset it straight to stock 4.0.4.

Once your done with that you can use the Backup Wonder Machine to then restore your data back to the new setup.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So what's the difference between BWM and my "old" backup method of mounting the phone to my laptop at home and rsync'ing it? The rsync only got /mnt/sdcard, but that's where all the stuff I care about being backed up is, right? All my app settings and whatnot?

Grey_girl

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Jeffrok, I'm not savvy enough to help with the backup, but I can tell you that the encryption is due to your company's exchange server. When I got my S 4G, I went through that to connect to my company account. It came up with the prompts saying it was required, but never actually forced the encryption or the setting of a PIN - again probably due to how the exchange server is set up. I got the same prompt last night when I installed the OTA, and the same thing happened again. Warning about encryption, then nothing actually forcing me to do it. YMMV.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I couldn't even get past the prompt to enable encryption, so I bit the bullet and did it. Whenever I clicked on the mail icon, I got the "required" screen.. So I did it.

I don't think being encrypted has anything to do with my Low Memory errors, but you never know.

Grey_girl

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, I couldn't even get past the prompt to enable encryption, so I bit the bullet and did it. Whenever I clicked on the mail icon, I got the "required" screen.. So I did it.

I don't think being encrypted has anything to do with my Low Memory errors, but you never know.

Who knows? It might be related, if the process prompting for the encryption was still running in the background (I could be wrong). Will be interesting to see if this clears the problem.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So what's the difference between BWM and my "old" backup method of mounting the phone to my laptop at home and rsync'ing it? The rsync only got /mnt/sdcard, but that's where all the stuff I care about being backed up is, right? All my app settings and whatnot?
Your sdcard holds information but not everything. Some people like to be able to backup and save say Angry Birds & their game data... You need to be either rooted to make a proper backup or use this BWM. Simply syncing/backing up your sdcard will not cover Angry Birds and other apps in this situation.

Basically many apps and their important data are found on "root level" access part of the device and not the sdcard.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Your sdcard holds information but not everything. Some people like to be able to backup and save say Angry Birds & their game data... You need to be either rooted to make a proper backup or use this BWM. Simply syncing/backing up your sdcard will not cover Angry Birds and other apps in this situation.

Basically many apps and their important data are found on "root level" access part of the device and not the sdcard.

Alright, good to know. Dangit, I was hoping that wasn't the case. Ah well.

Now we just need an OS X version of that. ;)

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
BTW, the IT guy at our company just told me that in order to use my company's Exchange mail on an Android phone that supports encryption, is to encrypt the phone. Because GB didn't support encryption, I never had to enable it. Dang.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87