question about storage

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
now everything says the photon has 16gb internal. My question is all phones i have checked say 8.7(not exactly but near there) space free. Is there really 7 gigs of **** taken up by moto or whatever?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
This has been answered here.

This has been discussed a bit in various threads, but lets put an end to this revolving question.

1)Does the Photon have 16GB?
Yes

2)when I check it only says 8.91GB available
Not all of the photon's memory is user accessible and the available memory is partitioned. 8.91 is available for internal storage. Music, video and most other user downloaded files(non apps) go to this partition. an additional 2.5GB is available just for apps. so that's 2.5+8.91=11.41gb of user accessible and useable space.

3) where's the rest of the memory
The rest is allocated to system memory and security. Keep in mind that motorola has gone far above and beyond what most other manufacturers have done in regards to security. Motorola has implemented hardware and software based security to really make the photon function as a business device. Seriously check out how through a job motorola has done by looking at all of the security settings, user accounts, admin capabilities.

Also take into account formatting! Hope this helps!:D

As well as in these topics :)

Last edited:
Reactions: |-KGB-|CaptHowdy