Going from the Epic to the Photon

jmiller0519

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Good idea or bad idea?

Pros vs. Cons?

Looks like the root methods are fairly straight forward and easy so that's a plus. Seems to me from all my reading and personal experience that Samsung is halfassing their Android software, especially any updates because they just keep pumping out new phones (that aren't any better) instead.

The last motorola I had was a Krzr and I loved that thing. I also like the feel of the photon as far as quality goes, and they seem to stay on the bleeding edge as far as android is concerned.

What should I be aware of before I switch?

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
The photon doesn't have much roms to play with if you're into changing roms. Also their ruins
roms break 4g. On the other hand Epic Touch doesn't have any ROM either. Most roms are just themes. I have both phones at the moment. The Epic have a much nicer screen and is faster but poor receptions. The Photon has excellent receptions but screen isn't as nice.

jmiller0519

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the photon is for me.

I could care less about roms. I like it simple. I only root so I can tether and remove sprints stupid memory hog apps. That's all I want. So really ROMS don't matter.

As far as screens go, the Galaxy screens are fantastic, but frankly I don't need it. I don't game or watch video on my phone nearly enough to care. If the photon is getting better quality data/calling/etc. Then I guess I'll go with motorola.

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I could care less about roms. I like it simple. I only root so I can tether and remove sprints stupid memory hog apps. That's all I want. So really ROMS don't matter.

As far as screens go, the Galaxy screens are fantastic, but frankly I don't need it. I don't game or watch video on my phone nearly enough to care. If the photon is getting better quality data/calling/etc. Then I guess I'll go with motorola.

Good choice. The Epic is a beautiful piece of eye candy, but the Photon's reception and call quality are just amazing. I was using Google maps in an area, that I would normally get zero reception on my old Evo, and the Photon didn't even hiccup. The only thing I don't like about it is the overly sensitive touch screen. When you're scrolling, u have to press hard or u will inadvertently select something. I'm sure it doesn't bother everyone though, you'll get used to it, and it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Btw, I agree about roms, and the great part about the Photon is it doesn't need em. It works great outa the box. I just recommended using Go Launcher or Launcher Pro. Moto Blur sucks.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
The only thing I don't like about it is the overly sensitive touch screen. When you're scrolling, u have to press hard or u will inadvertently select something. I'm sure it doesn't bother everyone though, you'll get used to it, and it's definitely not a deal breaker.

I have heard using a screen protector helps this. While I don't use an actual screen protector, I use the Otterbox Defender, which has a SP built in, and I find it helps with the sensitivity.

aoswald86

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
i went from epic to photon. i loveee my photon!!! for tethering i just figured out how, easy tether app, its free. using it right now!

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If you're talking about the original Epic and not the Epic Touch, I just did the same thing. I'm less than a week in but I'm enjoying the phone and being able to use GPS again :) Definitely a pretty impressive phone. The screen does take some getting used to, as does the camera. Those are the two things I miss so far.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I just went from the Photon to the Epic Touch. Though I loved the Photon, I have to say that the GS2 Epic Touch is a much better phone in almost every way... except the fact that the GPS can be a bit wonky. I'd go from the Epic to the Epic Touch and skip the Photon at this point, all things being equal. And the white version is pretty slick.

andoman

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I came over from a OG epic because I was sick of getting jerked around with updates to software glitches in the epic. Motorola has done a good job staying up on updates to fix user identified problems, and good at working with you on the moto forums. The biggest thing has been reception with the Motorola compared to the Sammy. Some people complain about blur but I really don't see the difference, just a few tweaks to where items are placed in different menus but I don't mind it at all, but I will say I hate sense so maybe I'm odd.

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

You may jusl for want to go get yourself a lapdock 100.
It allows you to turn the Photon into a very usefull tool since it has a 10 inch screen and a physical keyboard to boot. the best feature is that it automatically uses your phones 3G/4G signal for internet access. No tether app required. no worry about data usage.
btw it is also rootable to run full linux

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Good idea or bad idea?

Pros vs. Cons?

Looks like the root methods are fairly straight forward and easy so that's a plus. Seems to me from all my reading and personal experience that Samsung is halfassing their Android software, especially any updates because they just keep pumping out new phones (that aren't any better) instead.

The last motorola I had was a Krzr and I loved that thing. I also like the feel of the photon as far as quality goes, and they seem to stay on the bleeding edge as far as android is concerned.

What should I be aware of before I switch?

I came from the EPIC 4G. Yes, the screen isn't as great, but it's still great. I left the EPIC in mid September, and I'm glad I switched. The EPIC Touch looks great, but I would get FCs from time to time on the original Epic, so I'm staying away, plus they took forever to upgrade the OS... I use to think that this was normal for Android, but now that I own the Photon.... I know it's not true.

heymista

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I switched to a Photon from an Epic last September. It was a great move for me. One Photon advantage I rarely see discussed is the screen visibility in daylight. I found the screen on the Epic is great until you walk outside. The Photon is much more visible outdoors. The camera is the only thing I miss about the Epic as it took better pictures especially in low light, I have a lapdock and it's nice to have a firefox browser. It cuts down the amount of times I travel with a full laptop by by over half. Since it is 30% the size and weight of a laptop, this has been a very practical device. I also don't have to worry about whether or not there is Wifi. Samsung always has great specs, but they ignore their existing handsets when it comes to providing fixes. I am glad I switched.

msglsom

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I came from the Epic 4G nearly two weeks ago. I agree that the screen may not have the quality that the Epic 4G had, but other than that, I can't believe what an upgrade this phone is.

The battery life is what makes me love this phone the most. I charged my Epic overnight and then had to charge it again every afternoon in order to make it to bed time. Now, I only charge the Photon overnight and still have plenty of battery life left when I go to bed.