Anyone with new LTE device in Chicagoland area?

eddieras

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
anyone's time change with 4G?? often when i hit a 4g area my clock jumps ahead an hour! happens in Lake Bluff and happened last in Arlington Heights!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
anyone's time change with 4G?? often when i hit a 4g area my clock jumps ahead an hour! happens in Lake Bluff and happened last in Arlington Heights!
Sounds like a goof in the network. Do you have your Time setting to get your time updates from network? I stopped using that myself because it seems very wonky last few months.

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah mine jumped an hour when 4G hit my phone to. I just refreshed my PRL & Profile and it seems ok now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

This morning while on my way to work, I was on the corner of Harlem and Cermak/22nd st. waiting for the light to change. I noticed on my SIII that the 4G indicator was on. So I ran a speed test and was pleasantly surprised.

View attachment 41062

Not sure if they were simply testing but the 4G inidicator was on from Harlem-Cermak/22nd street all the way to the I-294 overpass in Oak Brook and it went back to 3G. I'm starting to get excited!

I be on 22nd st i stay on Roosevelt (12th st)

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch using Tapatalk 2

mattsterful

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Chicago a lot. And I always have 4g lte when I'm there. It's spotty though.

sent from my crappy thunderbolt. patiently waiting for the note 2...

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Was getting a great 4G signal signal last night on North Avenue on the border of Oak Park and Chicago.

speedtest.png

Unfortunately when I got home which is just south of the Eisenhower near Roosevelt Road (border of Oak Park and Berwyn), my phone switched back to 3G. But Sprint is finally making some great progress in the near west burbs!

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah hopefully they can get these towers in Oak Park, Berwyn and the near Westside lit up within the month. Would be nice to have LTE in my home so I don't have to rely on WIFI.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Seems like they're taking care of the interstates first. Guess that's as good a a way as any to test tower hand offs.

I live less than a mile south of I-294/I-80 so that makes sense that I'm picking it up at home.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Yes I agree its very obvious they are hitting the major highways and interstates first for solid coverage as you drive and then start filling in the rest of the puzzle as time goes on...

It's not that they're taking care of interstates first. It's just that Sensorly's data is crowd-sourced, and most people turn the app on while they're driving home from work along the expressways, so that's where the signal shows up the most on the map.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
LTE is a battery hog there is no denying that. But it's the price you pay to enjoy high speed internet the way it was meant to be ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Nothing near Navy Pier. It's like the freaking Cone of Silence here.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
On my EVO I can see no difference in battery use with LTE on or off.

HTC EVO 4G LTE

Same on my S3. I've had my wifi off at all times for a few weeks, taking advantage of the NV 3G speeds, and I didn't see much difference in battery life during the week I had a consistent LTE signal compared to the weeks I had it on 3G at all times.

Nothing near Navy Pier. It's like the freaking Cone of Silence here.

This post and the first line of your signature make it sound like Chicago's the last market to get LTE, and everyone everywhere else already has it. Don't be so negative. We'll most likely be the very first market to reach 100% completion in the LTE rollout, and that should happen sometime around December or January. I'm willing to bet you'll have LTE at Navy Pier within the next month.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what the SoftBank buyout will do to this. Hopefully it speeds everything up. I would REALLY like sprint to be a viable competitor here so that i can finally ditch Verizon.