sideloading adventure

old guy

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have read sideloading was coming to my Atrix this month. So far, nothing. Then I read I can call ATT and have them download (I guess) the capability to my phone.
OK, I'm getting frustrated. Chatted with ATT twice - trying to get the capability to download from unknown sources. Thought this would be easy.
First rep said it was possible and sent a file to my PC to update the Atrix software. Told me to wait up to 72 hours for it to appear on the phone. 5 days later . . . nothing.
Second rep told me she would send a text message containing instructions/file? telling me how to get the capability. I was to wait up to 90 minutes. That was 16 hours ago. He also told me, if I received no text message from ATT, to call Motorola and have them help me. Did that this AM.
Motorola rep says Motorola has no ability to allow unknown sources to a phone and I should contact ATT - right back where I started.
Please, will someone here give me some guidance on how to get this capability?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
http://m.androidcentral.com/sideload-android-apps-all-you-want-sideload-wonder-machine
use this link to download Sideload wonder machine on your home computer, then on your phone goto: settings/applicatioms/developement, check USB debugging. connect your phone to your computer with usb cable. and select."none" on your phone from usb notification popup message. you have to have an apk file of the app ready. browse to the file's locations from SWM and follow the prompts to installl the file.
there is another a bit more complicated way it involves rooting and running a script to activate sideloading on your phone permanently. but SWM is the easiest way.
also, ATT and Motorola will NOT help you with this issue. so its a waste of time calling them. this (supposedly) will be available with upcoming gingerbread update but for now rooting or SWM are the only two choices.
goodluck!

Last edited:

old guy

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. 1 followup.
1) Any eta for gingerbread? Since I'm not in crisis mode, I wouldn't mind waiting - assuming the July 11 upgrade date is realistic. I see no reason to get swm if gb is relatively close.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
there is no definite date of GB ota.
SWM does not change your phone in anyway. it just helps you to install soft. you want. I se no reason for not using it for the time being....
after all gingerbread may or may not come with sideloading enabled.
any specific reason as to why you dont want to use SWM?

velvetelvis

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
the amazon store is the reason i want sideloading. gb should be out within 1-2 weeks. the soak emails went out and if there is no problems with that it should be released soon after.

old guy

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
elch seems to have answered your question . . . SWM apparently doesn't support Amazon's store.
If GB doesn't come with sideloading, I'll try SWM and see what I get.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
you can root your phone with Gingerbreak and apply Gladenable script then unroot using gingerbreak again. your phone will retain the ability to sideload (unless you do the factory reset) and it will not be rooted. thats what I have right now.. its a 5 minute job...
btw im not using amazon app store anyway

Copernikus

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-atrix/95771-how-do-i-get-amazon-apps.html

Follow the above link to a previous thread I started. I wanted to get the App of the Day but do not want to root. Got all the info I needed and all is great now. You do have to install the app and get the silly message about unknown source. But even tho you get the message it is on your phone. You just have to use the SWM to actually install it.

ISS2

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I hope GB is worth the wait. Something that should be a native feature shouldn't be left out, that's the whole point of android IMO. Anyway, rooting it is a breeze and full control of your phone is what you really want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ijulnesia