I'm really torn, maybe a few opinions can help ease my mind.

DeathBringerZero

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Atrix now for about three days and I gotta tell you guys...I'm not really digging it. The screen is sometimes fairly unresponsive and the battery isn't that good either. I know smartphones aren't supposed to get a ton of battery life, but barely a day is pretty abysmal. I know I can root and and stuff, I've done it before, but this phone just doesn't excite me like when I got my OG Droid. The Bionic and maybe the Galaxy S2 would, it's just God knows when they appear in the US. I am also just recently coming from Verizon and the ATT service seems to be hit and miss. I have 30 days to take it back so what should I do? Should I wait for a phone, get something that is out now? I kinda miss Verizon. As an android user is it wrong to maybe consider an Iphone 4? I'm really digging my Ipad 2 so maybe that's the way to go. Any feedback would be nice.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hard to say, best service provider varies a lot from area to area. Battery life to me is huge, and is by far the best on this phone IMO. I had the EVO and it was only about half as good, so the Thunderbolt is out for you if you think the Atrix is bad. The Infuse is coming in a few days, that might be of interest to you, hard to say. What matters to you? Network, screen size, rooting and ROMing, etc. For me the performance of the Atrix outweighs being able to do true ROMing.

DeathBringerZero

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Well I only truly root and mod when I almost have to in order to make the phone feel as I want. I wouldn't mind if there was a phone that was sweet out of the box. I want a full day with high use out of my phone. I'm pretty sure Verizon is my best way so ATT phones are pretty much out of the question.

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
You will have a hard time getting a full day from the thunderbolt on verizon. I just ported back from there after using the thunderbolt for a month and let me tell you the battery life on it sux and the extended battery makes it big and fugly.

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
....The screen is sometimes fairly unresponsive ...

An unresponsive or erratic screen is a known hardware defect for which there is no software patch, at this time.

If you do decide to keep the Atrix, return it for an exchange, because the screen defect may get worse over time. The Atrix hardware quality is inconsistent, and it may take you more than one return to get an Atrix which is without defects.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
By all means the Atrix is a great device. I never had any screen unresponsiveness with it. But In the short 3 months Im getting tired of it and am thinking about the Infuse 4G. Love Super Amoled, plus the screen size. I was loving the 5" screen on the Dell Streak so I know this will compliment it well on the Infuses 4.5" screen. It will be more phone like.

DeathBringerZero

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow! A few returns in order to get one that is normal? Sorta lame if you ask me. It sucks that I only have a brief period to get a new hpone cause of that remorse period. I'm hoping for the Galaxy S2 even though I know it won't come out anytime soon. If I get a 3G phone for two years, will I be ****ed? Is full 4G around the corner? No one has really answered whether I should defect to the iPhone. I have an ipad2 so is there any point to that?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
It is all about priorities and preferences. If you are really satisfied with your ipad2, if your ipad does evrything you need to do on a daily basis, if you love the UI of the ipad the simplisity of the iOS and so on. Then you definetely should opt for iphone 4 as you will find the same experience there. Like i said its all about personal preferences. For me iphone/ipad is not an option because: no flash, no replaceable battery, the requirement to use itunes to sync etc (thats the biggest one prolly) and no microUSB.
What is it for you? You have to decide that yourself... good luck!

Last edited:

DeathBringerZero

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
My priorities are battery life, build quality, call quality, and speed. I'm comfortable with any OS so that isn't an issue. A decent camera also never hurt anybody. As for flash it just slows down the browsing experience on android so I don't really care about that. A lot of websites I visit are html5 so that's good for me.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Atrix has a very good build quality but i think iphone 4 is better because its all made from glass with metallic edges My atrix' s bbattery lasts for like 20 hours the most with the minimal use as possible so i have a spare battery with me just in case. Camera is just like anyother camera on the smartphone makes decent pics but when you shoot the video there is an awfull discoloration. Speed of the phone is awesome i have not had any freezes or lags so far. Atrix is known to have a problem with call/voice quality.... mine is ok but i had an issue once when i called to paypal and it was very frustraiting cuz i had to solve a serious issue and both reps were asking me to repeat things... but i havent had that happend for a long time anynore so i dunno.. anyway... i think yuor best choice would still be the iphone.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Get the Iphone 4 it meets the requirements that you are looking for in a phone and if you like your IPad2 then you will feel right at home with the IPhone4. As far as 3g data the IPhone 4 was kicking my Atrixs ass in the data speed department until the last software update. The IPhone 4 is not a true 4g device and not capable of true 4g, but is plenty fast and more then capable of fast data speeds on the AT&T network with backhaul added. Besides all of us that bought our 4g phones won't be getting 4g any time soon with AT&T so it's just worthless. I'm afraid that we will be all on 3g for years regardless if our phone says 4g or is capable. AT&T has admitted that their network is not capable of supporting the smartphones they have now, so even if they have the hardware in place don't think they will be flipping that switch any time soon. This is one of the reasons the Iphone 5 is probably not going to be 4g why make it when the network that supports it is not there.

The Atrix is a capable phone it has its quirks but so does the Iphone, I have owned bith and like the Atrix better. With the Iphone I had to hack the phone to set it up how like i liked and not how Apple thinks I should like it with the Atrix I don't have to hack my phone to make it mine.

DeathBringerZero

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your opinions. I'm still deciding whether or not and gt the iPhone today. Maybe I'll come back to android later once th OS is caught up with dual core.

phatboy-p

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
My priorities are battery life, build quality, call quality, and speed. I'm comfortable with any OS so that isn't an issue. A decent camera also never hurt anybody. As for flash it just slows down the browsing experience on android so I don't really care about that. A lot of websites I visit are html5 so that's good for me.

I don't think think you'll see much of a battery improvement with the I4. The biggest battery consumer is smart phones is the screen. The bigger/brighter it is the more juice it takes. Of course there is always exceptions but that is a good rule of thumb. The I4 has a 4" screen which draws at about the same rate as the Atrix.

I disagree with the person who said you will need 2-3 returns to get a working device. I, and most other people, have had no issue from day one. I have had my phone since they were first released and have never had a problem. If you do need to return the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of getting a working model.

The latest update for the Atrix has significantly improved call quality for me. And my experience has been that unless you are in a week signal area you are going to have faster data speeds than Verizon (not counting LTE of course).

A custom launcher will remove any lag or hesitation you see with Blur (again another problem I have never had) and the latest update is supposed to address this issue as well I believe.

So, my suggestion is to hold onto the phone until you're near your 30 days. Play around with all the features and customizations. Put it to the test. If you still don't like it switch to something else. Nobody should be stuck with a phone they don't like.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

From the sound of it, you want the iPhone. Out of the box it gives all of those things, even though the same can be had with a rooted and ROM'd android. One big thing for me would be having the iPhone and iPad. I have an iPad(b/c when I bought it, there was no Android options), I would not like the redundancy of seeing the same thing on 2 different screens, maybe that is just me. I like that there are different apps and a different feel to my phone and tablet. There is nothing wrong if you like the iPhone, my wife loves hers, and honestly it is a very polished device and OS. I personally like open nature of android, and the iPhone screen is way to small for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress