AT&T sniffed me out.....

Gato.Negro16

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Folks, newbie here. The Captivate is my first Android, my phone prior to this one was a Nokia E71. I used the nokia with a voice and text plan, not the mandatory smart phone plan. The nokia was unlocked, the Captivate is not. So I changed my SIM into the Captivate and next I know is that AT&T sent me a text that they upgraded me to the "smart phone plan" which I don't really need and will probably not use.

The E71 was really good with WiFi and I figured that the Captivate would be too, but I didn't count on AT&T and the mandatory change of plan and extra fees.

Is there anything I can do to make it appear as a "Dumb phone" and only use WiFi?

Just when I was starting to get the hang of the phone, lol.

Regards,
GatoNegro

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
They know by imei I believe, so the only way to get away with it is to buy a non-att branded phone.

Gato.Negro16

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
IMEI.

Just my luck. I am in the middle of a CM7 install. I figured that by replacing all the ATT files I could solve my problem. Oh well...

I don't really want to give up my Captivate, but I have no use for a data plan. I am going to finish the install of CM7 and put my SIM in, and if I get another text from AT&T then I am going to get an unbranded phone.

About 5 days ago I had no clue what Android was (still don't have a clue, lol) today I rooted my phone, installed Rom Manager, and I am doing the install. A lot to learn in this place.

Thank you all for your answers

GatoNegro

Gato.Negro16

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
The install of CyanogenMod 7 is done. Boy oh boy! what I was missing!
If the IMEI still registers, I am going to buy an unlocked phone and install CyanogenMod 7.

I can't believe how quick this thing is, and everything works. I am off the forums and going to play with my toy!

GatoNegro