Be careful with the phone. Sad Day.

prim8

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
That's fantastic news you two.

I never buy extended warranties, or service plans or whatever anymore. For two years now if I'm offered a warranty on something I just set aside what the warranty cost in another savings account.
I have over $1200 in that account now. It's sort of like my rainy day insurance fund. If anything in the house breaks or I need to replace something I'll just dip into that fund.
It takes some discipline to not dip into it for other things though.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Ouch....I had my first drop in the kitchen this weekend and it hurt watching it fall but no physical damage. Makes me want to get a hard case even more now.

Hard cases just protect against scratches and transfer the impact right to the phone. A rubberized case will soften an impact... and combination of the two (like with Otterbox) really protects the thing, unless it lands just right hitting the screen on something.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
SquareTrade also offers good plans. The iPhone4 plan I just got for my wife was $99 for two years of coverage. $50 deductible for replacement/repair.

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

I never buy extended warranties, or service plans or whatever anymore. For two years now if I'm offered a warranty on something I just set aside what the warranty cost in another savings account.
I have over $1200 in that account now. It's sort of like my rainy day insurance fund. If anything in the house breaks or I need to replace something I'll just dip into that fund.

Nice! That's a good plan...

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site

I do the same thing, except it's an imaginary fund, and we dip into it all the time. :p

atlkr5

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to the Body Glove!!!!!

Ok, sorry for your loss and I hope it works out for you.

I do have to say that I got the BodyGlove case the day I bought the phone and it makes a difference when holding the phone and it does not stick in the pocket like the "jelly" ones.

I dropped my phone last night.
I thought it was in the holster that I got from the Mall Kiosk that has the bad looking "beJeweled" cases.

As I stepped out of the car the phone fell out of my holster (which was not closed) and hit the ground, AHHHHHHHHH!

It landed on the corner and took a bounce and landed on another corner.

The sound alone was like a knife in my heart.

Needless to say, that the phone is fine. The case protected it and the case does not even have a scratch on it, Thanks to the Body Glove!!!!!

It was worth the $10.00.
:D

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the body glove when I exchanged the cracked phone. I was actually surprised its a fairly decent case for being sold at the AT&T store. Glad to hear it provides some decent protection. I also picked up the Microcell and man its awesome. So nice going from 0-2 bars of service to a consistent 4-5 all the time in my house. Its just too bad the network requires such a workaround.

Jay_eS_Iye

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to post update on this as I was able to get the AT&T store today. The store was nice enough to let me exchange the device based on the GPS, lag and MMS issues I was experiencing even though the screen had a crack. I had to be extra nice and after they checked my account history, made an exception.

I am very happy with a nice new phone that seems to be running a bit snappier and the colors look a little less blue as well.

do you have the AT&T insurance? I may try this route if you don't or may have to order the insurance and wait a bit

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
do you have the AT&T insurance? I may try this route if you don't or may have to order the insurance and wait a bit

I did have the insurance on my account when I went in to the store (I added it a couple days before). I don't know if that had anything to do with them letting me exchange it or not.

All I can say is if you had a similar tragedy befall your phone you can talking to the manager at a local store. What worked for me was being very nice, not demanding, and also understanding that this would be an exception to their usual rules. Also helps if you have a fairly long history with them I think. Although my history showed that while I account started with them a long time ago I have no issue porting out and leaving them when not happy (ported out twice and joined the carrier I got for free with work before porting back in when changing jobs).

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I guess that proves it is tempered glass and not gorilla like being said in another post. Unless I am wrong the gorilla glass is not suppose to crack or shatter.

nyeark

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
It's meant to resist scratches, it's def. not invincible. Search youtube for Galaxy S durability testing and you'll see; it's nigh immune to surface scratches but if you drop it and it hits hard enough it can still break.

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
i dropped my phone the other day and it just happened to fall on one of the only parts of my phone that isnt covered by the full body skin i put on it.

img010q.jpg