How to Group Text?

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
My g/f just upgraded from an iPhone 4S to an AT&T Note 2. She loves it. Or did, until she realized that she can't group text like she could on her iPhone and like I can on my HTC Rezound.

The stock messaging app doesn't work. GoSMS works just like stock. And we tried Handcent, which works a little better. In Handcent, when she receives a group text, it at least shows the whole recipient list in the From area. But, when she replies, it sends individual SMS messages to each recipient, instead of one MMS to all the recipients at once.

Is there any fix for this? An app that she can install to be able to do group texting?

I've seen some posts of using an AOSP ROM, which does support group messaging. But, needless to say, she doesn't want to hack her brand new phone, nor does she want to lose all the S-pen functionality.

Help?

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
My g/f just upgraded from an iPhone 4S to an AT&T Note 2. She loves it. Or did, until she realized that she can't group text like she could on her iPhone and like I can on my HTC Rezound.

The stock messaging app doesn't work. GoSMS works just like stock. And we tried Handcent, which works a little better. In Handcent, when she receives a group text, it at least shows the whole recipient list in the From area. But, when she replies, it sends individual SMS messages to each recipient, instead of one MMS to all the recipients at once.

Is there any fix for this? An app that she can install to be able to do group texting?

I've seen some posts of using an AOSP ROM, which does support group messaging. But, needless to say, she doesn't want to hack her brand new phone, nor does she want to lose all the S-pen functionality.

Help?

Yes, use Go SMS Pro and make that you go to settings (under advanced menu) > send settings > check box under MMS Group Chat (support MMS Group Chat with iPhone and android, useful for US mobile networks...)

Go SMS will process the group texts. You just have to wait a few seconds when the text comes in so it can process the group texts properly.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I did get it working with GoSMS Pro. If I recall correctly, the MMS Group Chat box was already checked. But, there was some other setting I changed also, and then it started working.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

rankar7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I did get it working with GoSMS Pro. If I recall correctly, the MMS Group Chat box was already checked. But, there was some other setting I changed also, and then it started working.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

nice. feels better when you can communicate.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
No doubt! My girlfriend was thinking about switching back to her iPhone if I could not get group text to work for her.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
In Handcent, there is an option under Application Settings at the very bottom for Thread Group Conversation that configures it to do group messaging.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I tried Handcent. It would thread the received messages for the group. But, when I would send a reply, if there were 3 (other) people in the group, it would send 3 individual SMS messages, instead of 1 MMS message.

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean by Group Text? I assume you mean sending a SMS/MMS to more than one person. Doesn't the stock app allow you to do this? Or do you want to setup a multi user group and click once to send?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by Group Text? I assume you mean sending a SMS/MMS to more than one person. Doesn't the stock app allow you to do this? Or do you want to setup a multi user group and click once to send?

MY definition is:

Group Text - you select multiple recipients and send a message. They all receive it as an MMS, and they can see who all the other recipients were. When any of the recipients sends a reply, it goes to the sender and all the other recipients.

Mass Text - you select a Group that is defined in your Contacts - or multiple groups or multiple individuals - and send a message. The message is sent as an SMS message, with one copy of the message sent to each recipient. Each recipient only sees the sender, but none of the other recipients. Thus, any replies only go to the sender.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Funny. I'm just the opposite. No use for Mass Texting.

But, it's pretty normal for me, my g/f, and 2 - 4 of our friends to be group texting each other for making plans. Say, for going out somewhere that night for drinks, as one example.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
MY definition is:

Group Text - you select multiple recipients and send a message. They all receive it as an MMS, and they can see who all the other recipients were. When any of the recipients sends a reply, it goes to the sender and all the other recipients.

Mass Text - you select a Group that is defined in your Contacts - or multiple groups or multiple individuals - and send a message. The message is sent as an SMS message, with one copy of the message sent to each recipient. Each recipient only sees the sender, but none of the other recipients. Thus, any replies only go to the sender.

I should add that a lot of the texting programs you can download from the Play store say they support group texting, but what they actually MEAN (using my definitions) is that they support Mass Texting, not Group Texting.

nic nap

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What are the settings to have it send mms as mass texts, then? I sent an mms to multiple people and their replies went to everyone. I am using stock msg app.

Murray Brown

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I have set up a group on my Android Smart phone (family) all 4 in my group are at a valid email address - BUT, when I press the send button the txt fails to go. Error message reads "The Contact does not exist" - WHY - How do I fix?

Bob Sugar

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am about fed up with this issue. I have had an AT&T note 2 for several months and have recently ffigured out how to fix it using handcent, however the fix is far from seamless. I will post up the exact settings tomorrow sometime as i don't have them memorized and i am studying for a final.

What further irks me is that my dad and sister recently got the s4,and the same messaging app works group text without an issue. To add salt to the wound, a good friend got the note 2 after my recommendation, but on verizon, and you guessed it, group text works perfectly on that too. I'm about ready to go into AT&T and pitch a fit, but I'm sure it won't do anything. So I suppose my only other options are deal with it or chuck this and snag an s4.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
As I posted above, I got it working on my g/f's AT&T Note 2, using GoSMS Pro. Once I got it working, it seems to have been working just fine ever since (2 months?).

It DOES suck though, that it doesn't work correctly using the stock Messaging app. But, I'm glad to hear it works correctly on the S4! I'm thinking about replacing my Rezound with one. Possibly on AT&T, even.