Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    I'm considering trading my Note for an HTC One X. I absolutely love my Note but I always want the latest and greatest when it comes to gadgets. I went to an AT&T store and played with the One X for awhile and I was impressed by the screen and build quality. It looks and feels like a premium handset. The screen is not as large as my Note's but it is really nice. My question is should I make the trade? Are there any other Note users out there considering making this move also?
  2. #2  

    Default

    Since your only reason for buying a phone is to get the latest and greatest, as you put it, i don't think you have a choice. The reason most people buy the note is that its a phone/tablet device. That does not seem to be your reason. Go for it.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Trade the Note in and get a magnifying glass. No way I could go back to a tiny screen.

    (sarcasm intended)

    On a serious note, I don't think you will notice a speed boost once ICS hits the Note.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, Centro(AT&T), Palm Pre Plus(AT&T), Nook Color, HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note(AT&T), Nexus 7 (32), Nexus 4 (16)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    Since your only reason for buying a phone is to get the latest and greatest, as you put it, i don't think you have a choice. The reason most people buy the note is that its a phone/tablet device. That does not seem to be your reason. Go for it.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

    I love the screen size of the note but I rarely use the S-Pen. It's a nice addition but they need to develop more apps to improve it's functionality. The phone/tablet thing is overblown to me. A 5.3" screen, while humongous for a phone, can't truly give you the same overall experience as a 7,9,or 10" screen can.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aewatsonsr77 View Post
    I love the screen size of the note but I rarely use the S-Pen. It's a nice addition but they need to develop more apps to improve it's functionality. The phone/tablet thing is overblown to me. A 5.3" screen, while humongous for a phone, can't truly give you the same overall experience as a 7,9,or 10" screen can.
    Seems like your mind is made up.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Hey if you don't think going down to a 4.8 screen isn't a bad thing, I say go for it. Its a better phone spec wise, the camera is noice and Sense has gotten ALOT better with ICS.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Honestly, it kinda can. I havent used my ipad 2 since I got the Gnote.....just sayin.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  

    Default

    I completely agree with the above post -- my ipad has not gotten any use since i got the note. It might when i am going out of town for weeks or months but for day to day use i find the note to fill both needs quite nicely

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Wait a month and the the Galaxy S3.
  10. #10  
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    DAS's Avatar

    Posts
    969 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aewatsonsr77 View Post
    I love the screen size of the note but I rarely use the S-Pen. It's a nice addition but they need to develop more apps to improve it's functionality. The phone/tablet thing is overblown to me. A 5.3" screen, while humongous for a phone, can't truly give you the same overall experience as a 7,9,or 10" screen can.
    I don't understand why you don't use the S-Pen? It's like buying a car with a sun roof and never opening it. I'd question why buy it in the first place?

    The phone/tablet thing is not overblown. That's exactly what Samsung had in mind when then developed the Note. They built a device that a person could buy who needs all the functionality of a smartphone, but wants the added screen size to enjoy the tablet experience.

    They knew there was a market for people who didn't want to spend money on a smartphone, and an additional $300-$400 for a dedicated tablet. The Note is an all-in-one device that gives an adequate user experience in both areas, yet is portable & lightweight.

    As far as apps for the S-Pen I'm sure you are aware that Sammy is introducing the Premium Suite with the ICS upgrade. This suite of S-Pen apps will take the Note to another level.

    In the end, no one in a forum can answer your question because which device we use is a personal decision based on our individual needs. For me, there is no way I could use a screen smaller than 5.3. I like my phone/tablet way too much, and no mere smartphone can give me the overall user experience of the Note.



    Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    I don't understand why you don't use the S-Pen? It's like buying a car with a sun roof and never opening it. I'd question why buy it in the first place?

    The phone/tablet thing is not overblown. That's exactly what Samsung had in mind when then developed the Note. They built a device that a person could buy who needs all the functionality of a smartphone, but wants the added screen size to enjoy the tablet experience.

    They knew there was a market for people who didn't want to spend money on a smartphone, and an additional $300-$400 for a dedicated tablet. The Note is an all-in-one device that gives an adequate user experience in both areas, yet is portable & lightweight.

    As far as apps for the S-Pen I'm sure you are aware that Sammy is introducing the Premium Suite with the ICS upgrade. This suite of S-Pen apps will take the Note to another level.

    In the end, no one in a forum can answer your question because which device we use is a personal decision based on our individual needs. For me, there is no way I could use a screen smaller than 5.3. I like my phone/tablet way too much, and no mere smartphone can give me the overall user experience of the Note.



    Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!

    You should work for Samsung because that sounded like a commercial promoting the Note. The phone/tablet argument is overblown to people who can discern the difference between a 5.3" mini-tablet and a full fledged full sized tablet. We've been waiting on the ICS upgrade for awhile now and still haven't received it. The S-Pen is still too limited at this point to really matter. I forget the damn thing is in the phone often times. I don't have an allegiance to any manufacturer or device therefore I can offer an honest and unbiased opinion on all things tech. The Note is a conversation piece and I love the attention I receive from my co-workers but that is only due to the screen size. Once you get past that it just seems like a big *** phone. Not a phone/tablet hybrid.
    Rev2010 likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default

    I've been contemplating a move to AT&T just for the note. Sprint is always last when it comes to innovation. Will make a decision in next week or two.

    sent from Evo4G using Tapatalk
  13. #13  
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    DAS's Avatar

    Posts
    969 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

    Default

    @aewatsonsr77: I don't work for Samsung and have no intention for doing so.

    Like you, I am not married to any OEM, and I'm fully capable of being objective in my assessment of a product or service.

    When this device was announced in September 2011, I was watching J.K. Shin pull the Galaxy Note from his jacket pocket and I knew right then that finally a manufacturer had developed the one device that made sense for my life.

    I did not buy the Note because of an upgrade to ICS, so in my case, if the Note never gets ICS I'm good.

    My whole point to you is that if you don't want the Note or it does not fit into the way you live your life, or even better, you discover another phone that better meets your needs, then do what's best for you. No one in a forum is living your exact life, and so no one in a forum can really answer your question. All we can do is give you our experience. If that experience is good, then to you it will sound like a commercial, I suppose.

    Like you, I visted the At&t store and played around with the HTC One X. I don't know if we're the same in this regard, but I actually took it home last week for a real world tryout. I knew I wasn't going to get the device, but I like shiny new things and wanted to use it for real and knew that a few minutes in a store would not provide adequate time.

    I returned it in 48 hrs., but I had a chance to use it in my world. I knew when it was announced at 4.7 inches that as my main device it was simply too small, but I wanted to see what all the fuss about this phone was all about.

    In my opinion, that's the only way you can get your questioned answered. Take it home, kick the tires, and see if it fits in your garage. If all is well, go back to your salesperson and sign the contract.

    If all does not go well, keep what you have and wait for the next model.

    Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!
  14. #14  

    Default

    I absolutely love my Note and the only way I could see myself switching to a different device is if/when the "Note 2" comes out. This phone is awesome and has taken away my need to carry around a tablet. I have walked into best buy and played around with the One X and it is a quality device but I believe the Note to be of better quality even without the ICS OS (I'm sure ICS will be on the Note very soon). Stick with the Note!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    I did kinda waver on possibly selling my Note and getting the S3 tbh but since I've installed a really stable, blazing fast ICS rom, I couldn't find a reason why I would even want to get a S3 aside from the Quad core processor. I'll probably be content with my phone for the next year at the very least (I was content with a HTC Inspire 4G for a year so this should be easy haha). Maybe if the next Nexus is any better I'll make the move because of pure Android.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    I knew when it was announced at 4.7 inches that as my main device it was simply too small, but I wanted to see what all the fuss about this phone was all about
    Let's see:

    One X - 1/2" less than the Note in screen size
    Virtually identical screen resolutions with the Note only being a hair higher
    Note screen is lower quality Pentile type whereas One X is Super LCD

    .... and you knew instantly it was too small?? 1/2" less is a dealbreaker?? And a lower quality display to boot... sorry but your argument doesn't make sense to me at all.


    Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech
  17. #17  
    DAS
    DAS is offline
    DAS's Avatar

    Posts
    969 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    Let's see:

    One X - 1/2" less than the Note in screen size
    Virtually identical screen resolutions with the Note only being a hair higher
    Note screen is lower quality Pentile type whereas One X is Super LCD

    .... and you knew instantly it was too small?? 1/2" less is a dealbreaker?? And a lower quality display to boot... sorry but your argument doesn't make sense to me at all. Rev.
    @ Rev: The 1/2 inch difference in screen size is an absolute deal breaker for me. The size of the Note is perfect for what I need/use it for. Any other single device, available on the market today, is either too small or too big for my business & personal needs.

    You appear to be knowledgeable, so I will take it at face value that when you actually put the Note and HTC One X side by side you can clearly discern that the difference in screen sizes is very noticeable? That noticeable difference makes a huge impact on the user experience.

    If I recall in some of your other post in a different thread, like the OP, you very seldom used the S-Pen. I suppose that you, and OP, found no use for this feature (and that's okay by me)? However, in my world, I use it everyday, and quite extensively.

    But all of this is a non-issue. I am not defending the Note to you, or to anyone else. The OP asked whether he or she should trade in the Note and get the HTC One X. I only shared my experience with the Note. How I find the device to my liking and why and how I use it in my world. The OP chose to suggest that the phone/tablet suggestion is overblown, and that my comments sounded like a commercial? It was then that I submitted a response to those suggestions.

    My only point was that no one in a forum can decide whether a person should buy a particular device or not. Most readers will only offer their personal experience (as I did). That's why I went and picked up the One X for a few days to see what the phone was all about. I knew the smaller screen size, and lack of a dedicated stylus/pen would not personally work for me (deal breaker as you put it). But, there are other nice things about the One X that I wanted to experience so if asked about it I could speak intelligently (If I recall you did the same with the Note).

    In my last post I suggested the OP do the same and try it out for themselves.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    I messed with the One X at the ATT store plus a fellow coworker has one.
    Nice phone, but the half inch or so difference is huge to me. Just got
    my son the GSM Nexus with 4.65 inch screen and it along with the One X
    looks tiny next to the Note plus the lack of a removable battery plus
    limited memory is the deal breaker for me.

    Maybe i am just blind but the screen quality from the Note and the One X
    are the same. Or i could not see a difference. Both are excellent.
    Now the Google Nexus i got my son has a dim/not very bright screen.
    The only thing future proof in electronics is the electricity itself.

    dmmarck "I love wiping myself!"
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    The OP asked whether he or she should trade in the Note and get the HTC One X.
    I also find such posts rather pointless, there's never any correct answer as it's all preference. It would also be better placed in the One X section so he could get responses from those that have switched from the Note.

    Your comments about using the S-Pen are a good basis for your choice in the Note as there is nothing comparable in the One X. As for the size though I just don't honestly see how 1/2" larger diagonally makes that huge a difference. I can read just as well on a 4.7" screen as on the Note's 5.3". Sure if you go down to something like my Droid 2 or an iPhone there is an appreciable difference there, but with similar resolutions and a higher pixel density on the One X I don't see why that size difference would matter all that much.

    Anyhow, wasn't arguing about your choice of device, not at all. I really did enjoy the Note and still do recommend it to others.


    Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    Wait a month and the the Galaxy S3.
    agreed
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaLaLa View Post
    I did kinda waver on possibly selling my Note and getting the S3 tbh but since I've installed a really stable, blazing fast ICS rom, I couldn't find a reason why I would even want to get a S3 aside from the Quad core processor. I'll probably be content with my phone for the next year at the very least (I was content with a HTC Inspire 4G for a year so this should be easy haha). Maybe if the next Nexus is any better I'll make the move because of pure Android.
    I also have been using an HTC Inspire for the last 15 months, and am soooo ready to use the Note; however I believe I shall await the Note 2. Does anyone have an idea of when Note 2 will be released? And does anyone know for certain that AT&T will have Note 2?
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    at this point samsung has not said anything about a note2,it's just speculation that samsung will come out with a note2,so if your ready for a note you might as well get one of the notes that are out now.
    Titanium Note 2
    prior phones(note,skyrocket,vivid,atrix,aria,backflip)
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Frankly, just reviewing the tons of posts on the One X forum from disgruntled, frustrated owners, is enough to keep me away until HTC fixes the many bugs in the device. Regardless, I agree with the others here in that in order to know whether something makes sense, you take it home and kick the tires. I don't have either of these devices and still haven't decided which direction to go. I figure the Sammy announcements and the Apple conference should be illuminating and may help make my decision.

    Meantime, I'm staying away from kicking the tires on a One X.. My $.02
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Well I have to say that one single thing deterred me from buying the HOX. The fact that it does not have sd card bothers me. It means I must rely on data transfer to view movies or stream music, which i do anyway, but my nearly 3 year old daughter uses my current phone to watch a few movies and listen to music on her own. It would get rather expensive over time to use dropbox as a back up for storage. The removable battery may not be a big issue, as all ICS based roms I have used have had a huge improvement on Battery life.

    To me the deal breaker was the lack of sd card, but I have to say that in 3 separate occasion i pulled the trigger on the hox...but for some reason amazon wireless did not process my order. I saw this as a sign to rethink my position. Ordered the Note, and it got processed immediately. At this point There will be three devices in the market of the hox type by july (htc, SG3, LG). And if I am not mistaken, there will also be a couple of Note competitors also coming from LG and htc.

    right now on paper the hox is the best device....but the note was that device just 3 or 4 months ago.....now the hater relegate it to junk/old/lethargic status...Please!!!!
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Galaxy Note for HTC One X?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crey23 View Post
    At this point There will be three devices in the market of the hox type by july (htc, SG3, LG). And if I am not mistaken, there will also be a couple of Note competitors also coming from LG and htc.
    Crey, please advise me on the source(s) of ANY info you have on the Note competitors, particularly from HTC, coming soon! I've been wishing but have had no reason to believe my wish would be reality till I read your post . . . And, if necessary, I can wait for the Samsung Note 2; I'm just partial to HTC over Samsung.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B