Sad News Guys: 18th Will NOT Be The Release Date

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an inside source, or someone who know's 100% fact on this matter. I'm simply putting 2 and 2 together. I pray that I'm wrong here, trust me.

Spent a good chunk of my morning on the phone with 8 different AT&T corporate stores in my area. I spoke to the General Manager of every single one of these stores and got the same, depressing answer: "We are doing a reset of our stores on Saturday, and have a new line up of phones releasing on Sunday and the Galaxy S II will NOT be one of them."

They all seemed pretty confident when saying this, and also noting that from what have heard it won't be released for a few more weeks.

I still wasn't convinced. I dropped this info I had just received on a very well known tech site. (Would rather not mention the name, don't want them getting bombed with emails) and I got a response back in minutes. The response was that they had contacted a PR person on the inside of AT&T and the 18th release date was some sort of mix up, and it was never intended to release on the 18th.

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, because this upsets me just as much as the next person, but after this short experience today I finally accepted Sunday will not be our day.

On a brighter note, they've made us wait this long for it... I guess a couple more weeks couldn't hurt.

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Not to discredit you, but I sure hope you're wrong. Thanks for the info though.

Edit: I just called one of the places around me and the guy said that they be releasing 3 new phones on Sunday and they won't know what they are until Saturday night. He said he assumes that it will be released because that's what they have been hearing and to try to come into the store Sunday morning. So frankly I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I just need a new phone.

Last edited:

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
But wouldn't the stores be getting shipments by the end of the weekday, which is today Friday ? Not on a Saturday afternoon. I am sure they come to them from UPS or FedEx, and they don't usually ship on weekends unless special order stuff, but big orders like this would be done during the week.

Time will tell

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
But wouldn't the stores be getting shipments by the end of the weekday, which is today Friday ? Not on a Saturday afternoon. I am sure they come to them from UPS or FedEx, and they don't usually ship on weekends unless special order stuff, but big orders like this would be done during the week.

Time will tell

Not necessarily, they sometimes do get shipments in on Saturdays. But like you said, only time will tell.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Not to discredit you, but I sure hope you're wrong. Thanks for the info though.

Edit: I just called one of the places around me and the guy said that they be releasing 3 new phones on Sunday and they won't know what they are until Saturday night. He said he assumes that it will be released because that's what they have been hearing and to try to come into the store Sunday morning. So frankly I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I just need a new phone.

Oh trust me, no offense taken. I hope I'm wrong too. I played with the Epic Touch 4G in the Sprint store about an hour ago. I fell in love. If they still had that return policy I'd have one in my hand right now, trying it out to see if Sprint is any good around here.

On a side note, from what a couple of the managers told me, they get phone shipments EVERY day but Sunday. So the only way to find out for 100% sure is call before the store closes tomorrow and see if they got the shipments in. I'm not going to get my hopes up. Hopefully I won't cave and buy one from Sprint. The look of the AT&T one is still my favorite especially after reading this Galaxy S2 Review | Ubergizmo

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I know my old local store got some iPhone's in on a Saturday. I plan to try to at least stop by one on Sunday and hope for the best.

travis442

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I stopped by the store right next to the office I'm working in to ask if they knew anything, one of the ladies didn't even know what the phone was and the consensus between the three of them was "soon". In other words I put no stock in anything that they had to say.

I will have to bid my time by reading the review that was linked to though, that will help me get through the day.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Good info thanks for doing the leg work. I also stopped by a spint store to check out their model and it was pretty sweet! You can be sure I checked the gps and it was better than the Nexus S model right next to it...

Since I have a ATT company store a mile from my house I will probably stop in at noon on Sunday just to check in...I can however wait a few more weeks if needed.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Good info thanks for doing the leg work. I also stopped by a spint store to check out their model and it was pretty sweet! You can be sure I checked the gps and it was better than the Nexus S model right next to it...

Since I have a ATT company store a mile from my house I will probably stop in at noon on Sunday just to check in...I can however wait a few more weeks if needed.

No problem! I work enough to where the weeks will fly by, but I use my phone so much for work/play that it would definitely be nice to have it sooner than later.

I'll be popping into my local AT&T store regardless if we hear anything or not just to be sure. What better way to spend my day off!

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
My disposable income this pay period is earmarked for either a GSII or a new TV for the second bedroom. If the GSII comes out Sunday, it'll be because I purchased the TV on Saturday and will have to wait two weeks to replace my phone.

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So I stopped into my local store and the lady told me to stop back by on Sunday and that it was very possible that it would be the 18th. I was told on the phone by a different person that they were coming out with 3 new phones (previous rumors stated just 2) and that I should stop by on Sunday as well. Needless to say, I'll be going by with crossed fingers.

Reactions: Statusnone

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
OK, I figured I'd play the game as well and give my two closet local stores a call. The first one - no answer both times I called. The second store I spoke to the store manager and he said he had not heard anything but "expected them soon". So I inquired about Sunday and he paused for a minute and said the best thing to do is call Sunday morning but he did say normally he would have gotten them today for Sunday unless "they were holding them back from us".

So I'll call Sunday but it's looking grim.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Could this be AT&T trying to blow out the Infuse's to make room for the Galaxy S II? Anything is possible!

61988285.jpg

kevinchaos

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy (dot com) has the Infuse listed for $149, so it looks like they're dropping the price by $50 to make room for the GSII at a $199 price-point.

whatNoHttps

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
My disposable income this pay period is earmarked for either a GSII or a new TV for the second bedroom. If the GSII comes out Sunday, it'll be because I purchased the TV on Saturday and will have to wait two weeks to replace my phone.

For our sake, please buy the TV Saturday. We can all chip in to get you the GSII

whatNoHttps

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps they think that since the phone is so fast, we can just do all of our waiting up front. Imagine this time being the sum of all the time you could be waiting for apps to run and pages to load.

OK, so that doesn't really help. I really wish we could know if it'll be days, weeks, months, ...

mpazevedo

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I talked to a Frys guy this afternoon and he said he talked to an AT&T rep and he said it will be there tomorrow. Since AT&T is releasing 2 other phones and the launch of LTE in select markets tomorrow , I believe it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa