mystery battery drain?

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
for the past two days i've been noticing a serous battery drain on my phone. due to my class schedule my usage has been essentially the same everyday and nothing has really changed these past two days. I have noticed that with the battery drain is a serious shift in battery usage percentage. Normally, its like 40% screen, 25% android OS and 15% android system...and then a little bit of everything else. The past two days however, its been 60% android OS for the day... I haven't downloaded any new apps...so whats going on? I've tried restarting my phone and such...no change...

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It might be the AP widget. Lot's of complaints about it running in the background causing battery drain. Suggestion is not to load the widget. It can't run then. I don t know if that's your problem, but thought I'd mention it.

buirus

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I suggest you download Better Battery Stats and CPU Spy. These will let you know if there are any processes wake locking your phone and whether or not the phone is being allowed to go into sleep mode.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I downloaded cpu spy, what kinda splits should I be looking for on that? Like what would indicate that something is going wrong? Also, I couldn't find better battery stats in the market. Do you know the developer name for that app? Thanks again

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My friend has the same HTC Shift that I have. His battery life was much less than mine. We found out that the magnetic catch on his case was turning ON his phone! I didn't have the problem because I turn my phone face in and he kept his face out near the magnet.

I played around with a magnet and found out some phones are magnet sensitive and some are not bothered by a magnet! Check this out on your phone

Reactions: Jonneh

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Run traffic monitor and see if it is the AP widget. If it is the widget eating battery by using data, do a factory reset and do not configure the widget at all. If it is the OS, toggle the wifi sleep timer from never for an hour or so...

JonDeutsch

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I have found that I get massive battery drain in my office at work, and have no such problems in other areas. The difference? Cell signal. This happened on my Captivate as well. It seems to me that with Samsung phones (perhaps others as well?), they go battery drain central when they have to work overtime to keep the cell signal alive for things like text msgs and incoming phone calls.

I wish Sammy recognized this and resolved it with some firmware updates, and I do wish they found this out before they released the GS2!

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I have found that I get massive battery drain in my office at work, and have no such problems in other areas. The difference? Cell signal. This happened on my Captivate as well. It seems to me that with Samsung phones (perhaps others as well?), they go battery drain central when they have to work overtime to keep the cell signal alive for things like text msgs and incoming phone calls.

I wish Sammy recognized this and resolved it with some firmware updates, and I do wish they found this out before they released the GS2!

Me too, I have taken that into account though. I know that I get uniformally poor service at school, but at least with that it's consistent on a day-to-day basis so I was able to norm it out more or less with how my battery and android OS usage has spiked recently.

Also, for those wondering if poor cell service is the reason for bad battery life, I'm pretty sure that shows up as "cell standby" under battery usage stats.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Run traffic monitor and see if it is the AP widget. If it is the widget eating battery by using data, do a factory reset and do not configure the widget at all. If it is the OS, toggle the wifi sleep timer from never for an hour or so...

Thanks. used traffic monitor and it's not the AP widget. And what was that about the wifi sleep timer? 90% of the time I have wifi off, does that matter with that second piece of advice?

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
under settings>wireless and networks>wifi settings>menu key>advanced look for WiFi Sleep Timer. Toggle it from never to one of the other 2 for an hour or so then back to never. see if that helps.

78Staff

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
As someone who has worked in a building with ZERO cell coverage for over 14 years not, I can say that every phone I've owned had exhibited the same behavior. When the phone is constantly searching for a signal, battery usage goes through the roof. From an old candy bar, a Treo, a BB, 3GS, and now G2S. It's just a fact of life it seems...

Most at the "office"either keep their phone on a charger all day, or go into airplane mode. I use MyProfile app to schedule airplane mode from 8am-5pm M-F so I don't have to think about it...

Dawgsoverrebs

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I may have found the issue with this. Skype or similar messaging apps will keep waking the phone while it is supposed to be asleep and it has been showing as Android OS. I have been running Skype and have been having this issue I uninstalled it and i will see how it goes today. Anyone else using IM apps like this?

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
if something like that is waking the phone, it will also be using data. Use a traffic monitor type widget to track apps that use data. You will find it. Take screenshots every hour or so during at first to see what is going on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo