Unlocked Skyrocket on T-mobile question...

siratfus

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello All!

We are going to leave at&t for t-mobile this year. Got a Galaxy Note unlocked, but realized it can only access 2g edge t-mobile. I've also heard that with the international unlock galaxy s2, you could only get edge with t-mobile.

1. So the question is, what about skyrocket? Will I be able to get the faster speeds on t-mobile if I'm using an unlocked skyrocket?

2. Lastly, can someone tell me what I need to look out for when shopping for unlocked phones and seeing whether or not they can access a carrier's higher speeds? I'm a bit confused. I always thought if they were unlocked, then you're good to go.

Thank you in advance!

eregon73

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I too am a victim of same situation. NO PLACE did I ever hear if you unlocked your AT&T Skyrocket for 19.99, 24.99, or 29.99 you would NOT be able to get 3G or 4G speeds. I have tried everything from APN, to *#2263# to change data speed. Either I simply lost connection or just got the "E" for EDGE (2G). Heck, here is what speedtest.net gave me as my test results! Ping = 430ms, Download = .20Mbps, and Upload = .10Mbps I mean everything "works", sorta, you can get to like YouTube, but try to play what you want to see and times out every time.
My suggestion is to buy a phone straight out from T-Mobile. I KNOW its hard in todays economy, trust me, I lost my job due to cancer and went from $2000 a week to $956.00 a MONTH! I did the unlock procedure because I couldnt afford another phone. Like I said it does work but very very slow data.
BTW I only used theUnlocker to unlock my AT&T phone to use on T-Mobile.
Thanks and I hope I can help anyone who is stuck making a decision.
Eddie
409-457-7119

KeiranSolaris

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
T-Mo uses HSPA+ on 1700 and 1900 MHz.

AT&T uses 850 and 1900 MHz. For LTE AT&T uses 700MHz.

If you want a phone to work on both networks it must have a radio for a frequency that both networks use.

Galaxy Nexus has 900, 2100, 1700, 1900, 850 support so that would be the phone you want to work on both.

Do not buy a skyrocket, it will be the same as the GS2 and your Note, will only get Edge on AT&T.

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
The Skyrocket is, to my knowledge, the ONLY AT&T device that can get T-Mobile 3G service, and to do so requires flashing the radio firmware from a T-Mobile Galaxy S II. (See post above.)