2.3.6 Browser Overscroll Glow (Minor Issues) - Video

Wookiee

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks,

As I posted in the "Update today" thread, I've found that the blue overscroll glow in the recent 2.3.6 update isn't behaving quite as well as it should be. A couple of notes before you watch:

1) I am not complaining. This is a minor cosmetic bug and I can live with it. That being said, if Samsung decides to look into it and implement a more polished version of the glow, I would be quite pleased.

2) "Come on, Wookiee, nobody uses their browser like that! You'll never see it under normal circumstances! Learn2Scroll!" I know, I know. Humor me here. Most bugs are found by way of unconventional methods. This is no exception.

3) Sorry for the rambling and redundancies. I've never made a video like this before, and I did this in one take, so I was nervous. Heh.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W6jDAKxjDmE[/YT]

Last edited:
Reactions: j-bo

j510

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
tried to do what you did exactly multiple times and i couldnt get the same results. i loaded up android central and everything, tried to copy exactly what you did and i couldnt get mine to do that. Im thinking this bug isnt on everyones sgsII. still sucks you have that bug hopefully they could roll out another fix sometime in the future if more users have this same problem.

SoreAintya

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same, drives me crazy.
The top and bottom I can live with, the side however really bothers my left eye. Hate it.

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Yea that left side is a real eyesore. Every time you read a line and scroll to the left, you have to wait for the blue bar to clear because it shoots out over a quarter of the screen over everything except the notification bar.Even when swiping vertical it still quickly pops out then disappears if the screen is zoomed out.....

hurley81388

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I have this SAME exact problem I just noticed with the update. I thought I was the only one it was driving absolutely nuts. Before I saw this post I had already complained to Samsung directly using the link on the XDA website:

Found a bug or a problem in your SGS2? Tell Samsung... - xda-developers

Everyone who is experiencing it please do the same! Hopefully Samsung will fix this extremely annoying problem. Until then it's Dolphin HD browser for me even though I like the stock browser better that left-sided blue-glow is driving me insane.

j-bo

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Welp... just did the download... this blue glow is not even close to being obnoxious or obtrusive for myself. I mean.. who scrolls all the way and holds it there on the edge? As soon as you let go from scrolling it goes away.

Wookiee

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Welp... just did the download... this blue glow is not even close to being obnoxious or obtrusive for myself. I mean.. who scrolls all the way and holds it there on the edge? As soon as you let go from scrolling it goes away.

I like to double-tap-to-zoom on articles all the time. Most of them are aligned left on the page.

Since the browser is no longer locked to a vertical or horizontal plane when scrolling, it's very easy to accidentally make the glow pop up on the left side. Additionally, since Android's scrolling is very "slippery" (compared to, say, an iPhone), you often have to "catch" the page if you scroll too hard. Since the glow stays up until you let go and the page completely stops moving, it gets in the way very often.

I'm glad it doesn't bother you as much, but some of us absolutely scroll all the way over to the edge, intentionally or otherwise.

j-bo

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I like to double-tap-to-zoom on articles all the time. Most of them are aligned left on the page.

Since the browser is no longer locked to a vertical or horizontal plane when scrolling, it's very easy to accidentally make the glow pop up on the left side. Additionally, since Android's scrolling is very "slippery" (compared to, say, an iPhone), you often have to "catch" the page if you scroll too hard. Since the glow stays up until you let go and the page completely stops moving, it gets in the way very often.

I'm glad it doesn't bother you as much, but some of us absolutely scroll all the way over to the edge, intentionally or otherwise.

I understand what you're saying, but the glow goes away pretty quickly.

Sorry it's bothering you, and maybe sammy will do something about it somehow to help those it does bother.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I hate it ... Looks like that on the skyrocket too (played with one @ att store.) .. Also noticed that the bounce was gone as well (apple anyone?) ... So I decided to go the custom rom route and the current rom I am using got rid of the side over scroll glow and brought back to the browser bounce as well.

Kiel

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just wish I could turn off the glow or re-lock the scrolling to a pane. It's really getting to be irritating having it take up the left side of the browser every time I move up and down. The glow is minimal and totally fine in system menus, I have no idea why it was made SO much bigger in the browser.

Wookiee

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I just wish I could turn off the glow or re-lock the scrolling to a pane. It's really getting to be irritating having it take up the left side of the browser every time I move up and down. The glow is minimal and totally fine in system menus, I have no idea why it was made SO much bigger in the browser.

Exactly. If it behaved the same way as the rest of the UI, I'd have no problem with it. I'm no coder, so I can't be sure, but it seems like the glow in the system menus utilizes some kind of physics/momentum process that makes it feel natural. The browser, by comparison, feels chunky and unnatural.

If you want, take a moment to do what hurley81388 did and visit the following link to send Samsung a message about it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...mkey=dGpvcjVmcTd4Y2ZuZFgtcV9WM3lvZ2c6MQ#gid=0

hurley81388

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
this lack of vertical axis locked scrolling plus the annoying glow feature is leading me to put on a custom ROM. i'm probably going to run the unnamed ROM found on the XDA forums here:

[ROM][2.3.6] UnNamed v2.2.1 - (12/22/2011) - Improved battery life and performance - xda-developers

i've never put a custom ROM on my phone before (first android phone ever) so i'll let you know how it goes. from reading the forums this ROM sounds pretty stable and is based on the stock ROM so nothing should look too different. the most important feature for me was the one mentioned here:

v2.2.0 Changelog:
-Enabled overscroll bounce and axis locked scrolling within the browser

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
this lack of vertical axis locked scrolling plus the annoying glow feature is leading me to put on a custom ROM. i'm probably going to run the unnamed ROM found on the XDA forums here:

[ROM][2.3.6] UnNamed v2.2.1 - (12/22/2011) - Improved battery life and performance - xda-developers

i've never put a custom ROM on my phone before (first android phone ever) so i'll let you know how it goes. from reading the forums this ROM sounds pretty stable and is based on the stock ROM so nothing should look too different. the most important feature for me was the one mentioned here:

v2.2.0 Changelog:
-Enabled overscroll bounce and axis locked scrolling within the browser

I was using 2.3.6 completely stock and I just installed UnNamed V2.2.1 and its night a day difference. I am very pleased. The browser is awesome and now I don't mind the overscroll glow with the menus. I really love the ICS animations.

aldog3

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely,
the browser glow after upgrade to 2.3.6. on sg2 is nauseating, especially when i was used to using the bounce. They need to fix it yesterday.That's just crazy, it makes no sense, and very frustrating.When i reached out to samsung they were bewildered, confused, surprised.yea sure they are.It's all because of litigation with apple. That just shows how much apple gets copied. Apple needs to let go of the bounce. Bring the bounce back, bring the bounce back.Now everybody together....btbb,btbb,btbb!!!!!!!

Last edited:

aldog3

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
hey wookie,

Your not redundant, and your video was right on.Been looking for this thread since i upgraded or downgraded depending on how you look at it.I feel exactly how you eloquently expressed the glow issue on your video, but it's all litigation. Try out dolphin hd or, opera it helps.:cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699