My experience with roms

Jonna09

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have always liked the S2 the way it is, and honestly, I really do like Touch Wiz and what Samsung has done with it. But I was getting bored of seeing the same thing and I really wanted a change.

So I rooted the phone. Backed up the original rom, downloaded CM 7 and tried installing it. Didn't work.

Turns out, I was trying to install the I9100 rom :D . I then got the correct I777 rom, installed it, and it was great. I was trying out various combinations of screen locks and.........I got locked out of the phone :-| . Nothing I did helped, every time I tried opening the lock, the phone would reboot.

I Got annoyed, downloaded the ShoStockRom and installed it. Returned to the comfort of TW with enhancements. I really did like the ROM a lot, it was zippy and had great transition animations. However, the battery was draining majorly - nearly 10% per hour. So I gave CM7 another try(this time stayed away from the screen locks).

I have now settled down with CM7, I like it, but I must admit, there is a difference in the QA that goes into a build that comes from a corporate and one from the outside. CM7 is buggy, specially evident when using the Market(phones hangs up), and sometimes, the camera doesn't respond and other such things. But I love the customizations and themes etc.

Sorry for turning this into a blog post, but I really did want to share and I also wanted to know what others here run on their phones.

sdmark

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been using shostock for a few weeks (the one with Siyah) and my battery life has been really good...with light usage I see about a 1-3% drain per hour. It's been great for me.

I used unnamed prior to shostock, but seems it wasn't getting updated anymore and I felt an urge to flash another rom :)

zero.

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
i have ShoStock with the ICS theme for it, and it's pretty darned good. battery life is hit or miss. really good on idle and calls, like mentioned above, but drains fast on Data or Wifi. but the Rom is not very buggy at all, aside from some issues i have the i suspect are Rom-related, but cannot prove now and don't care. ICS will be here before i can upgrade this phone, so i'm good with it for now.

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I am unnamed since it is pretty much stock minus bloat. I like it and plan on hanging out with that ROM until the ICS stuff rolls out, err the not quite as buggy ICS stuff anyways ;)

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, the QA process (in general) of the Cyanogenmod team is vastly superior to Samsung+AT&T's QA process. AT&T's releases are consistently plagued with well documented long-fixed bugs. Even Samsung's ICS kernels have a bug that I fixed back in OCTOBER! - https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_kernel_sgh-i777/commit/fc9eb85807302583259e27013ed184a43107bb67

The problem is - Samsung hacks up their firmwares to a great degree, and those Samsungisms are undocumented. The end result is - people doing AOSP/CM bringups have to deal with a pile of closed source "binary blob" libraries which don't always have the standard Android interface to the rest of the system because Samsung mangled it.

If you want to see a proper example of Cyanogenmod quality control when the manufacturer isn't going out of their way to make their job difficult - try Cyanogenmod on a Nexus or a Sony device.

The CM team does an unbelievable job considering that Samsung is fighting them every step of the way.

Reactions: a_summers

Jonna09

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I see your point and I guess you are right. Damn Samsung,......and Atnt too.

Also, true, CM team did do a fantastic job with CM7.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
The CM team does an unbelievable job considering that Samsung is fighting them every step of the way.

They really do. First thing I did when I got my GS2 was put CM7 on it. Best thing I could've done to the phone. I get superb battery life, epic customization ability, and an all around solid, stable ROM.

I have now settled down with CM7, I like it, but I must admit, there is a difference in the QA that goes into a build that comes from a corporate and one from the outside. CM7 is buggy, specially evident when using the Market(phones hangs up), and sometimes, the camera doesn't respond and other such things. But I love the customizations and themes etc.

Yeah, the market lockup issue was a huge annoyance. Take a look at this thread if you don't mind running a slightly older 3.x.x.x series version. I'm running 3.3.12 without a hitch.

Reactions: Jonna09

Jonna09

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but I have actually circumvented the whole issue by browsing .... the play store (I still prefer calling it market......why google, why?!) through my laptop browser. It is actually easier and installs directly.

Other than that.......well, I am really loving CM right now. Can't wait for the CM9!

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I have never had good luck with CM7. It always seems to be 97% complete. The stable release tethering doesn't work. It is fixed in one of the nightlies, but not the latest as that gives me a FC for the status bar. It is just little things like that that drive me crazy with cm7.
I have been running ICSrewed and it works great. Battery life is amazing. But your results may vary.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but I have actually circumvented the whole issue by browsing .... the play store (I still prefer calling it market......why google, why?!) through my laptop browser. It is actually easier and installs directly.

Other than that.......well, I am really loving CM right now. Can't wait for the CM9!

I know. Play Store??? Really Google? :-\

And I hear ya on the CM9. Can't wait for that.

I have never had good luck with CM7. It always seems to be 97% complete. The stable release tethering doesn't work. It is fixed in one of the nightlies, but not the latest as that gives me a FC for the status bar. It is just little things like that that drive me crazy with cm7.
I have been running ICSrewed and it works great. Battery life is amazing. But your results may vary.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Are you using the official nightly or the twice weekly one put out by Sam3000 over at XDA? That one seems to work the best for me. I had the status bar force close issue with the official nightly too.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the official nightly or the twice weekly one put out by Sam3000 over at XDA? That one seems to work the best for me. I had the status bar force close issue with the official nightly too.

The second latest offical release got my tethering working and didn't give me a force close on the status bar. And this is my point about CM7, it is good, but never quite finished. Overall CM7 in general gave me more forced errors in the 24 hours I used it then ICScrewed has ever given me in the weeks I have been using it.

But thanks for the tip about Sam3000.

NEDNERBISH

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, don't know Jack about what this whole.post was about, but read it... why should/ shouldn't I put a "rom" on my stock gs2? I really, really love my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

XANAX

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
OK, don't know Jack about what this whole.post was about, but read it... why should/ shouldn't I put a "rom" on my stock gs2? I really, really love my phone.

It's really all personal preference. If you like stock, stick with it. I'm the type of person that loves to mess with things, so I installed a ROM within the first couple days of ownership. Right now I'm switching between CM9 and AOKP. I think ICS kicks ass, so I'm living with the couple of small bugs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

Reactions: NEDNERBISH

NEDNERBISH

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea I mess with things, I start deleting important things such as on my computer, I deleted the SOUND CARD.:eek: hahahaha.