Touchstone Mod for the S3

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
That looks awesome, mine is still work in progress. I have not taped down yet. Still moving around to minimize bulge.

I see the problem... You need to take the coil off of the plastic backing to avoid the bulge.

I also ordered some stronger magnets in order to keep it on the touchstone better, but I don't think that that's absolutely necessary.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

astrokidd

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I see you have the coil higher than I do. Does that interfere with nfc since it's on the battery. Thanks for removing tape to show me what you did. Your mod looks factory. Great mod you did. Also gonna get magnets also. Are those 1/4 by 1/32.?

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
No, NFC still works like a champ.

Here's a link to the magnets (they work great)...

K&J Magnetics - Products

I bought a replacement battery cover off of Ebay to do the mod on, just in case I messed up and damaged it, and/or I had to take the phone in for warranty work (which I ended up needing to do).

astrokidd

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply and link for magnets, I will definitely be picking some up. Going to work on mod in next couple of days. I will post pics when done, thanks again for all your help.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply and link for magnets, I will definitely be picking some up. Going to work on mod in next couple of days. I will post pics when done, thanks again for all your help.

Cool, good luck! :cool:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
HA! Indeed, lets see what do I miss about the pre3? Slider keyboard, multitasking via cards, touchstone, a million patches, etc etc.

Dont misunderstand, i love the gs3, lte, all the apps, but this phone with all these apps and webos would have been great. Damn fools, thats what HP is.

Keep in mind, while I strongly believe webOS is superior, and more polished than Android. Android has the mindshare. There's a slew of things Palm could have done in the beginning(like launch with Verizon first) that would have severely changed the course of smartphone history and quite possibly made this a 2 man race between Palm, and Apple.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
the more I see these mods the more I want one. But my case gets in the way. I'll probably just buy a dock

Yup, I can see how that might be a problem. I use TPU cases, so it's really easy to take off to charge. Then again, you can't use a case with most docks.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I can see how that might be a problem. I use TPU cases, so it's really easy to take off to charge. Then again, you can't use a case with most docks.

I have a otterbox defender lol. If it can work through this I'll be happy lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have a otterbox defender lol. If it can work through this I'll be happy lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Ooooo... That would be interesting. I bet it would work if you mounted it to the inside of the case instead of the battery cover, and had stronger magnets to hold it in place...

I don't have an Otterbox case, though, so I don't know how thick there are.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
With 4 Touchstones laying around the house, I am considering doing this. I don't really want to tear up my Pre3 though. Looks like I'll have to hit up eBay, or maybe webOSNation Marketplace for an old cheap phone. Glad I found this thread, I thought I remembered hearing about this somewhere. :)

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
With 4 Touchstones laying around the house, I am considering doing this. I don't really want to tear up my Pre3 though. Looks like I'll have to hit up eBay, or maybe webOSNation Marketplace for an old cheap phone. Glad I found this thread, I thought I remembered hearing about this somewhere. :)

You won't need to tear a phone apart... You just need the coil from one of the touchstone covers (a Pixi works best, since it's thinner, and the contacts are in the right place). You can get the for a couple of dollars on Ebay or Amazon.

scobb

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I also ordered some stronger magnets in order to keep it on the touchstone better, but I don't think that that's absolutely necessary.

I too am a "touchstone junkie". I have been playing around with the mods and placements, but haven't committed yet.

I like the idea of the extra magnets. Do you have a source?

Thanks!

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I have just completed the Mod successfully using only copper tape and electrical tape.

NO SOLDERING.

I would recommend also reading this thread for reference

I would Recommend watching these videos
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0ga4N_Ih9GE[/YT]

and the video posted above
[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAqP3T_Mbzg&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

this method i think produces the least bulk to the back case.

I can confirm that is does not work with casemate pop with stand for the S3

hope this helps

just to update my post

the copper tape adhesive I have used does not work reliably, the adhesive is not enough make the tape adhere to the contact points from the coil. Electrical tape does not stabilize it enough. Couldn't find a way to make it stay. My charging would go on and off sometimes.

I soldered the copper tape to the contacts of the coil. Note that the soldering parting not on the phone itself but the part you removed from the back cover of the webOS device I used.

also, I think it is better to use one continuous strip of copper tape.

I think this has all the links you need to do the mod.

Just to update. I went on a road trip with my whole family. From Miami to Orlando, took around less than 4 hours. My navigation was on, bluetooth streaming music and podcast to my vehicle, tho those muic and podcast are pre-downloaded.

My s3 was on the touchstone all the time. It was charging but it wasn't gaining charge. I had to turn off the screen for a positive charge.

Experiance overall was excellent. No fumbling wih wires. And phone is not falling from the touchstone even on bumps.

Portrait or landscape

gysedesy.jpg

ze7yhe5y.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress