Text Message Problem

carlt828

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm almost at 2 weeks going from an iPhone 4 to the S3. I've been having random text message problems. I've had this in place of a text message 6 times in the almost 2 weeks I've had the S3. I never had any problems in 4 years with the iPhone. The text from this screen shot finally came through the next morning. The rest have not and trying to download it does nothing.

I'm going back to the AT&T store tomorrow and swap out the phone for another. What do you guys think?

Screenshot_2012-10-08-16-13-07.png

carlt828

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The top message in this screen shot is the one that finally came through the next morning. Then I was testing Go SMS Pro and got back another text that didn't come through. I am getting the text error with both the standard message app as well as Go SMS Pro.

Screenshot_2012-10-09-18-25-19.png

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
It is usually just an issue with MMS messaging. It has to do with AT&T only allowing MMS to be sent or received over mobile data. The S3 turns off mobile data when it connects to a wifi signal, so that means you have to disable it to get the message to download or send.

carlt828

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It is usually just an issue with MMS messaging. It has to do with AT&T only allowing MMS to be sent or received over mobile data. The S3 turns off mobile data when it connects to a wifi signal, so that means you have to disable it to get the message to download or send.

Thanks again.

What's even weirder now is that this past weekend I was down at my folks. I transfered both mom & dad to my account so they would get texting & data for dad. Dad got a S3 the same time I did. They're both set up the same (power saving, Juice Defender, etc...). A text message came in and dad got it but I got the download message. Both phones were on his wifi.

I still really like the phone though.

Last edited:

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
My 4S always had un downloaded text stuff (images etc) sitting hiding in the text stream and I'd never see them until I turned on my data (3G). Then all the sudden when I open the text app, I'd see all kinds of new messages pop up, I rarely used the 3G so that's what caused the issue. Same thing is going on with the S III.

myteemike870

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Im not to sure about your reply. Ive been with att for several years and am usually connected to wifi half of the time and I have never had that issue/notice while on wifi.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Im not to sure about your reply. Ive been with att for several years and am usually connected to wifi half of the time and I have never had that issue/notice while on wifi.
Well AT&T does use mobile data to send MMS, and even though Wifi is on, Mobile data is activated to send the MMS...Im not sure why WiFi affects it and I think it needs to be fixed by AT&T

Anand Mathew

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I've got a problem....whenever i receive a message all i see is "[] [] [][][][] [][] []?"
I can't see the actual text message but just these boxes....plz help

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
All MMS uses Mobile Data (does not matter who the Provider is) not Wi-Fi. I have Wi-Fi running 70% of the time and have no problem with MMS coming over Data. Now if you are in a weak 3G/4G area the MMS can be delayed.

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This is my only complaint with this phone. I also came from iphone and never had a problem with delayed or failed text messages. I live in a rural area with lil to no data service so I have to mostly rely on wifi.