AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III refusing to update to Jellybean 4.1

Kendall Lane

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
hey guys, sorry if this has been covered in another post already, but I've been unable to find help anywhere. I've been trying to update my Galaxy S III ever since the day that Jellybean was released but for some reason it wont complete the process. I downloaded Kies and plugged in my phone to my computer and this is the screen the main screen came up asking if i would like to update my phone. i clicked the update button and then the firmware update page came up that asked if i would like to proceed with saving or not. I've tried both saving and not saving but with the same result. Next came the 'progress for firmware update' screen and once it loads to 100% the screen disappears and Kies shuts down. I've left my phone plugged into the computer for some time and nothing ever happens after everything shuts down. Is there something that i am doing wrong?

tigerpierre

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem! I kept trying a couple times each night and it finally worked like a week later! Don't know what the problem was but it happened and I'm jelly beaned!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If you have the most current version of Kies, enable USB debugging and disable the screen update and strict mode in Developer Options. Open Kies. Connect the GS3 and do not disconnect until prompted. After disconnecting, pull the battery for two minutes and restart your phone. There known issues with Kies. It may take a number of tries. Others have also suggested updating the Java version.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

heathroi

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I had that too, had a lot of problems with keis crashing,finally worked after a couple of days, make sure you right click and run as administrator.

myteemike870

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you have your phone to auto lock after certain amount of time? That was my problem. Changed it to 30 min and had no problem downloading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jafa666

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I had similar issue and then my phone bricked. What i found out was if you didn't know yet, is you have to disable firewalls and antivirus before you start the process. Also, you have to download the newest version of kies to your computer. When i did this, it worked like a charm even though it cost me a ton of money to get new phone.

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Just got my S3 today. Downloaded Kies, set USB debugging to on, set screen to not turn off. Everything downloaded and updated fine for me. Guess I was lucky.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Many people forget they need enough space on their computer for the update operation, and assume the update just magically goes to their phone. If you have less than 2GB of available hard drive space on your computer, that COULD cause some issues.

Ruben Reyes

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I am having a problem too updating to jelly bean i put it into kies and it states that device not supported by kies i did unroot it recently and is working great is this why or is there something else that i can do to update it or is it just a kies issue

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 refusing to update to Jellybean 4.1

If you have rooted your phone, or installed an unofficial firmware update, then KIES will refuse to update you. Antivirus on your phone, or firewall software on your computer can prevent the update process from working as well(uninstall antivirus on your phone before you try doing the update).