Battery life?

velvetelvis

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
read the one review on both of those. do not buy. if you get a good battery it will cost you more than 9.99.

that being said, is it possible to make a bigger battery for this phone?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Today, I've been running the Sense, but, I've had no widgets running, just icons...

Thus far, my stats read: 16hrs 35 mins and 58% left...
Up time: 17:57:03
Awake time: 03:41:05

Now, having said that, I also installed Advanced Task Killer. Not sure how much of an affect that is having...

Reactions: iancull

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Please do not use task killers on Froyo. It will cause some issues with the app fighting the operating system.

@naviculture that battery life is awesome and is what I would expect out of this phone. I have the myTouch 4G which is (basically) the same phone with a smaller screen. Same chipset inside and everything. I get great battery life, and I had an EVO before that (it was pretty bad).

My question for everyone having concerns about battery life is: what's your usage like? Are you browsing the web a lot, texting, making phone calls?

If I'm using my phone lightly I can make it two days on a charge. If I'm using it heavily (web browsing, gtalk, texting, tapatalk, etc) then I'm charging mid-day. The screen is the biggest battery hog, then the modem. So if you're doing a lot battery life will suffer. And if you're a heavy talker then even more so.

Reactions: cycling56#CB

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
@iamlilysdad - today I'm going to use it with the Sense UI, and I've turned on auto syncing for GMail, Twitter and Facebook.

I typically use email, text, Twitter, Facebook and browsing the web. Let's see how it does today...

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Here is a quick suggestion to help you guys with your battery woes:

Why not just buy a cheap external battery backup that charges your phone on the go, just plug it up and you will have a fresh battery in no time? That way, you can use the phone as it was meant to be used (like a real smartphone) and not worry about gimping it by turning sync off, not using widgets and so on.

These little chargers are only like 30-40 bucks, which is a better alternative to an extended battery to me anyway.

Since I came from my second iPhone, and have had several iPods in the past, I found that the Apple USB chargers, coupled with some micro USB cables do the trick.

I have a charger next to my bed, one at work, one for traveling, and a car charger. During the week, I'm never far from a charger, and during the weekend, I let the battery drain some, and only charge at night to ensure the battery is a least being cycled on a regular basis.

Works well so far.

Reactions: cycling56#CB

iancull

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I set it to airplane mode overnight, it used 5% instead of 50%! But that just makes it more more useful than a brick.
I'm trying JuiceDefender now ...

iancull

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
GOOD NEWS!
Juice Defender Ultimate has got me to still above 60% at the end of the day (compared with below 15%); I still get my mail/etc notifications - on a 15 minute schedule but that's ok.

BAD NEWS:
My colleagues iPhone 4, at the same location all day and also delivering notifications (immediately not on a 15 minute delay), is at 93% ... both phones on AT&T of course.

iancull

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Given how much improvement Juice Defender made, and with the fact that my phone has mobile data disabled but is in a WiFi location at home and at work, I'd say that the WiFi circuitry is either very greedy, or else the phone is hopeless at scheduling background sync over WiFi.

CutRiteFX

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
A test last night my battery dropped below 50% from full charge, while I was asleep - so that's pure idle time!
Yes the phone has sync running and I've installed a few Apps, but coming from iPhone I should not have to figure for myself why battery life is terrible ...

Mine has been good and was at around 50% about an hour ago and out of nowhere I get this message that says my battery dropped below 15%. Must have been some program stuck that started to drain the battery. Over all it's been good except for tonight that happening.

beachboyde

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
A test last night my battery dropped below 50% from full charge, while I was asleep - so that's pure idle time!
Yes the phone has sync running and I've installed a few Apps, but coming from iPhone I should not have to figure for myself why battery life is terrible ...
Mine was the same why when I got it last week. Coming from the iPhone 4. I went into settings, applications,running services and then clicked each of them and stopped them from running. battery life was great there-after. I go in every two days and redo it if I open up a lot of high energy apps. ie.. navigation. etc.. Hope this helps. Jon

beachboyde

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is good now. Mine was the same why as most here. When I got it last week coming from the iPhone 4. I went into settings, applications,running services and then clicked each of them and stopped them from running. battery life was great there-after. I go in every two days and redo it if I open up a lot of high energy apps. ie.. navigation. etc.. Hope this helps. Jon

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't have an Inspire, but I know I've certainly had my fair share of battery problems on my Evo. I found that keeping the screen brightness around 25%, minimal widgets, and using WiFi rather than 3G when possible kept me sane.

Just want to add as well that turning off GPS will essentially do nothing. The only time GPS is a battery hog is when it's making location calls in apps such as Weather, Maps, or anything with location services. Otherwise it just sits idly in the background.

'course, now I've got my Seidio 3500 mAh extended life battery and life is grand:D My roommate just switched from an iPhone 3GS to the Inspire and has to charge it overnight, at work, and in the car just to keep it alive...hope HTC or a 3rd party comes out with an extended life battery soon...too bad HTC screwed up with that whole battery door situation though:(

Reactions: yankees368

rexdeaz

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Do More Research!!

You guys need to look into Evo forums on battery life. Pretty much every post I've seen thus far is everything we Evo owners found out last June. Just go there and follow the same steps we took. It gets better, I promise!!!!!!!!!!

dyne2199

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Keep your screen brightness at the lowest possible setting that you can tolerate, keep as few widgets as you can get by with on your home screens, set your apps/email to update manually (as opposed to auto or push), set your screen timeout to 30 seconds, and see how your battery life does with those settings. If it does get better, then loosen up on settings/widgets as you see fit. As a rule of thumb on this phone, your screen's brightness setting is the biggest battery hog. The phone's pros definitely outweigh its only con: the 1230mAh battery that powers this beast.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Powering the screen is what eats up most of the battery. Set the screen to the dimmest setting. Many phones have a light sensor that adjusts the brightness according to the ambient light. It helps, but I've found that turning off the auto and going with the dimmest possible settings really helps save some juice.

Apps or widgets that connect to social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter can be complete hogs too. They can be constantly pinging those sites for updates. You can usually adjust how often they check, or set the app to check when you start it and stop when you exit it.

4G antenna usage was one of the biggest problems for EVO users. If you're not in a strong 4G area, the phone struggles to find a good 4G connection and that eats up battery incredibly quickly. If you're not in a 4G area, turn it off.

WiFi is your friend. At home or at work, if you have a WiFi network you can use, use it. A phone constantly checks to see if it has the best cellular connection, so it's pinging towers all the time. If you use a WiFi connection, once connected, it doesn't seek another connection till you disconnect. If you're not in a WiFi area, turn it off as it will be searching for a WiFi if on and not connected.

Last edited:

yankees368

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is typical of HTC phones. The first 10-15% of the battery will go really fast. SenseUI also puts a strain on the battery, that is for sure. Keep screen brightness low, widgets limited, wifi when possible, do NOT use a task killer, BT off when not using it, GPS on (but don't forget to turn on network location so it does not have to be used if not needed).

The life will get better over time, and don't be afraid to get a spare. There is a good chance if you walk into a store, they might just give you one. Also, yell at AT&T for giving you such a low rated battery!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez