too many running apps

jdawest

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Using android booster, I see that I usually have about 77-90 apps running all the time. Most of these apps I havent even opened since turning the phone on. Even when optimizing, I still have 33 running! How can I control whats running automatically? I am rooted, if it helps.

nickmatteis

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Using android booster, I see that I usually have about 77-90 apps running all the time. Most of these apps I havent even opened since turning the phone on. Even when optimizing, I still have 33 running! How can I control whats running automatically? I am rooted, if it helps.

they are system apps, such as HTC SENSE, and rosie utility, you need them running to use your phone, and if you force quit them they will automatically restart.

they aren't effecting performance

jdawest

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ok, thanks, I'm just trying to stretch battery life as much as possible, and figured the less apps running, the better.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Android works this way and runs apps in the background, but they shouldn't use any resources. That said, that's on stock android. When I check a sense UI phone and see all those things loaded up it doesn't sit well with me. But it shouldn't matter. Check your idle current drain with the current widget to see how efficient your phone is running. It should pull less than 5 mA during idle sleep.

Bzow

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
ok, thanks, I'm just trying to stretch battery life as much as possible, and figured the less apps running, the better.

That's not always the best way to go about it. If you kill an app that your phone thinks should be running, it will just restart it. This will use up more of your phone's resources and battery, than if you just left it running. My suggestion, and this has worked very well for me, check out the app Watchdog (there's a paid and a free version). This is a monitoring utility, not an ATK (automatic task killer). Watchdog will let you know if you have any runaway apps or if any app is using more cpu than you think it should.

rocketry876

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
When you shut down the phone and then power it on again, does that close all running apps like pressing the power button and choosing restart does? I have only restarted my phone once (I only bought it about a week ago) and that seemed to take a lot longer to boot than turning the phone on and off.

Bzow

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about the specifics, but it may take longer for the restart because you have "Fast Boot" enabled. If you go to Menu -> Settings -> Applications, you'll see the "Fast Boot" option. Like I said, I'm not sure how exactly this works, but I think it's on my default and that's probably why you see a difference in time between Restart and Turn off/on.

Reactions: rocketry876

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87