Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    I am looking around at the various HTC phones and I have noticed that of the 4 that I am considering (Sprint Evo, Verizon Thunderbolt, Tmo Sensation & AT&T Inspire) that the Inspire is the most heavily discounted of the phones.

    It is $29 at Amazon right now:


    I know the phones came out at various times but isn't the Sprint Evo the first of these phones to have arrived? Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted? Am I missing something? The pricing has me considering this phone, but also wondering if there is something wrong that I don't know about? Thanks all.


    EDIT: Ok I just checked, it is $19.99 at



  2. #2  

    Default

    At. Radio shack you can get both colors of the inspire for $29.99. I checked with my local Walmart and they still have it for $89.99
  3. #3  

    Default

    From what i understand from when i last spoke to an HTC rep. They said they wanted to sell more of these phones more quickly, so they were willing to eat more of the price and discount it further
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet



    If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  4. #4  
    RoboWarrior's Avatar

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Unity

    Default

    I also thought this was a little fishy that this phone would be so heavily discounted. But after I bought the phone I am heavily pleased with it. Even without dual core its flash playback is faster than Tegra 2 processor (something weird about adobe's optimization). Burnout joke this probably better than attic and infuse. Remember it is the 4 best and most popular phone in the us, even androidcentral said that!

    Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Question Loss leader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    From what i understand from when i last spoke to an HTC rep. They said they wanted to sell more of these phones more quickly, so they were willing to eat more of the price and discount it further
    More so of the Inspire than the Evo or some of the others? I wonder why?
  6. #6  

    Default

    My friend has the Thunderbolt and spent a couple hundred dollars on it. I got my Inspire for free at Costco (temporary sale they were running), and there's no perceivable difference. Spend more money if you want, but I'm completely happy with my Inspire. And AT&T's network has been fine for me for 10 years.
  7. #7  

    Default

    This is just an opinion, but I feel like AT&T is DESPERATELY trying to show that iPhone isn't the only great phone on their network anymore. (since they lost the exclusivity deal) Even the price of the Infuse has dropped drastically since it's first weeks out. AT&T's phones have always been significantly cheaper at alternate suppliers, though. Personally, I expect their Android options to explode and dwarf iPhone's appeal in the next year.
    I like being angry. It makes me happy.
  8. #8  

    Default

    I seem to recall some free offers around xmas time last year for the Inspire. I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger on the deal at that time so I missed the boat. Still, I think it's a pretty awesome phone.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo5000 View Post
    I seem to recall some free offers around xmas time last year for the Inspire. I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger on the deal at that time so I missed the boat. Still, I think it's a pretty awesome phone.
    The Inspire was released in early Feb.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
  10. #10  

    Default

    $0.01 on Amazon for new accounts or individual upgrades
    I like being angry. It makes me happy.
  11. #11  
    torreyblack's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vortex Rom

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaverReturns View Post
    $0.01 on Amazon for new accounts or individual upgrades
    trying to wait for the Infuse to drop a little lower, it's $109 on amazon right now, but that $.01 for the Inspire is tempting
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by torreyblack View Post
    trying to wait for the Infuse to drop a little lower, it's $109 on amazon right now, but that $.01 for the Inspire is tempting
    The Inspire is an overall better deal, in my opinion. Maybe I just didn't like the "Fisher Price" feel of the Infuse.
    I like being angry. It makes me happy.
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Default

    I got mine last weekend for $19.99 at Costco on upgrade. Gave my wife my Samsung Galaxy S (she upgraded from an iPhone 3G which was almost nonfunctional because of Apple's software bloat). She's happy because she gets the functionality of Android and I'm happy because the HTC Inspire works great with a 4.3 inch screen

    Having said that, I've used the Galaxy S (bought it the day it came out) and I've used the Inspire for a week and in my opinion, the Inspire is a better phone. It's not the 4g (which I don't think AT&T has available in my area plus, is it really 4G?). It's the way HTC does Android. They integrate things better and add all of the little things that I wish I had with the Galaxy S.

    I'm not badmouthing the Galaxy S. I loved that phone as well but HTC's Sense software just makes their phone better.
  14. #14  

    Default

    The Inspire 4G is probably going to be the best value of all time in my opinion. $29.99 at Radioshack for an Android phone that's pretty new, Android 2.2, good processor, 4.3 inch screen, and if you sign up for the AT&T contract it's just $100. Best value ever.
  15. #15  
    trevorr77's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    Quote Originally Posted by JackImageX View Post
    I got mine last weekend for $19.99 at Costco on upgrade. Gave my wife my Samsung Galaxy S (she upgraded from an iPhone 3G which was almost nonfunctional because of Apple's software bloat). She's happy because she gets the functionality of Android and I'm happy because the HTC Inspire works great with a 4.3 inch screen

    Having said that, I've used the Galaxy S (bought it the day it came out) and I've used the Inspire for a week and in my opinion, the Inspire is a better phone. It's not the 4g (which I don't think AT&T has available in my area plus, is it really 4G?). It's the way HTC does Android. They integrate things better and add all of the little things that I wish I had with the Galaxy S.

    I'm not badmouthing the Galaxy S. I loved that phone as well but HTC's Sense software just makes their phone better.
    Wow...almost the exact same experience here. Wife on iPhone, I was on the Captivate. I just upgraded to the Inspire and she's going to take over my Captivate as a trial to see if she likes Android. She's due for an upgrade and wants to either get the iPhone 5 or if she likes android, a new Android option later this summer. I liked the Captivate but there were things about it that really bugged me (the GPS, battery life, etc). So far, I looooove the Inspire. Its lightning fast, battery life is much better so far, I like sense more, etc.
  16. #16  
    Jalarm's Avatar

    Posts
    810 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I hated my captivate. You had to wait like 3 seconds after pressing the home button for to actually go home. It was s laggy mess.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    First off, I love this phone,

    But I'm guessing that the lack of a front-facing camera makes retailers believe it will hinder future sales.

    No netflix streaming without extra help sucks.

    Battery life not great either.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    Quote Originally Posted by trevorr77 View Post
    Wow...almost the exact same experience here. Wife on iPhone, I was on the Captivate. I just upgraded to the Inspire and she's going to take over my Captivate as a trial to see if she likes Android. She's due for an upgrade and wants to either get the iPhone 5 or if she likes android, a new Android option later this summer. I liked the Captivate but there were things about it that really bugged me (the GPS, battery life, etc). So far, I looooove the Inspire. Its lightning fast, battery life is much better so far, I like sense more, etc.
    If you want to see something REALLY cool coming out later this year, check this out. Best i can tell so far, HTC seems to have about the best build quality around.

    I like being angry. It makes me happy.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    Quote Originally Posted by RaverReturns View Post
    If you want to see something REALLY cool coming out later this year, check this out.

    Holiday looks great, any idea on the initial cost?
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    Quote Originally Posted by repligator View Post
    Holiday looks great, any idea on the initial cost?
    No, not yet. Still no release date, either. If AT&T's track record is any suggestion, I'd expect it to be about 200. Still, if you wait until a month or so after the release, you'll probably get it on Amazon for at least half off the initial price.
    I like being angry. It makes me happy.
  21. #21  
    arisenfury's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Sense 3.0

    Default Re: Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    Things to consider: Tiny battery with the Inspire compared to others, though probably on par with the OG Evo. No sideloading apps on AT&T without Root. That being said, I talked my brother into bringing his Captivate back after signing up with AT&T to get the Inspire and he loves it (first time smartphone user). TBH I believe the EVO 3D is the best value at the moment. Highest specs out of all the HTC "monsters", and one of the best priced (no rebates required).
  22. #22  
    bduran727's Avatar

    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 2.3.5 + Sense 3.0

    Default Re: Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    Quote Originally Posted by A Risen Fury View Post
    Things to consider: Tiny battery with the Inspire compared to others, though probably on par with the OG Evo. [HL]No sideloading apps on AT&T without Root.[/HL] That being said, I talked my brother into bringing his Captivate back after signing up with AT&T to get the Inspire and he loves it (first time smartphone user). TBH I believe the EVO 3D is the best value at the moment. Highest specs out of all the HTC "monsters", and one of the best priced (no rebates required).
    AT&T issued an update to allow sideloading starting last may.
    HTC One
    HTC Inspire
  23. #23  
    arisenfury's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Sense 3.0

    Default Re: Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    Shows what I know lol. Even more pluses then.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    Im guessing its because the Inspire doesn't do LTE and the difference between the storage limits. But for me, the speed dif of ~ 4MB/S vs ~15MB/S and memory diff of 2GB vs 8GB internal and 8GB vs 32GB external weren't worth the extra $200 to me. The Inspire's speed is plenty fine for video streaming, if I want a bigger SDHC card I'll just buy it when the price drops, and I've got several apps installed to internal storage and I've only used a few hundred MB on there so far. YMMV, tho, of course.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Why is the AT&T Inspire so heavily discounted?

    plus in my particular situation if I'm in a place where I can sit and watch video Im almost always on wi-fi anyway...

Posting Permissions

B