WiFi Dropping - Possible Fix

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Doing some research, I noticed that I was not the only person with an LG G2 that had problems staying connected to my home WiFi network. So while browsing around on different sites, it became clear to me that it was not the phone causing the problems, but possibly the home network. I have a D-Link Dir 655 wireless network. I decided to get a couple of apps to monitor the network, one being the really nice WiFi Analyzer for free from the app store. I had a very strong signal (I should have as I was in the next room) so I knew that the signal degradation was not the problem. I checked out the channels and there was no interference coming from to many users on the channel or even on nearby channels. There are only a couple of wireless networks in my neighborhood and most are on the lower channels. I was on channel 6 but moved to channel 11 as channels 11 through 14 (if you have them) were the better choices for me according to the Analyzer. This did not resolve the problem. So I went to the D-Link site and noticed that there was a new firmware release that was specifically targeted at the Samsung S4 for the same issue. So I updated the D-Link and that solved the problem. I have now been connected for over 20 hours with no drop at all.

So if your phone is dropping the WiFi and you have a D-Link wireless router, you may want to investigate if there is a firmware update and that may fix your drop out issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good tip, thanks! Updating firmware is usually a good idea, although not always--I updated the firmware on my Asus router a while ago, and it totally messed up! Had to downgrade it again. In your case, though, sounds like a good move!

danicheman

May 16, 2011
Visit site
OMG I have the D-Link DIR 655 Router and the T-Mobile LG G2, I clicked "check for updated firmware" within the router pages, and it said I was "up to date". Then I clicked on the product page link, and there was a 2-month-old firmware update! I feel silly that I didn't check this out before. Thanks so much for your advice. Fingers crossed for no more "shadow disconnects"!

MonkeysP

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my new LG G2. What is your Dlir-665 version. Mine is Version A4. Does the new update 1.37 apply to my Dir-665 version?

Shemp McGillicuddy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got a G2 on AT&T today and noticed WiFi dropping. My other wireless devices were losing connection also. I have a DLink DIR-655 with firmware from 2009. I found this thread and updated to latest firmware 1.37 and it's working fine. The firmware upgrade reset the router to factory so had to reconfigure.

Psycem

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Just recieved my G2 (international D802) today, and instanly grew concerned with wifi dropping connection. I too have the Dlink dir 655 router.

Found the firmware update with the Samsung GS4 fix on the Dlink support page, and installede it onto my Dir 655. Works like a charm. Been a couple of hours - no drops since. :)

Best of luck.

porcelina4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I joined this forum to share what all I had to do to get my LG G2 (Verizon) to connect to our router. We have an old DLink router but I refused to accept it wouldn't connect. My husband amd I got the phones at the exact same time and for some reason his would connect to the WiFi at our house and mine wouldn't. Both phones would connect to WiFi networks elsewhere.

I'm an absolute knob when it comes to technology so reading a few forums I troubleshooted some settings and found that if I changed the DLink settings to:

WPA Settings: WPA2 (only!)
Cipher: TKIP (only!)

I hope someone is saved some time with this.

jtc303

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I joined this forum to share what all I had to do to get my LG G2 (Verizon) to connect to our router. We have an old DLink router but I refused to accept it wouldn't connect. My husband amd I got the phones at the exact same time and for some reason his would connect to the WiFi at our house and mine wouldn't. Both phones would connect to WiFi networks elsewhere.

I'm an absolute knob when it comes to technology so reading a few forums I troubleshooted some settings and found that if I changed the DLink settings to:

WPA Settings: WPA2 (only!)
Cipher: TKIP (only!)

I hope someone is saved some time with this.

Just wanted to say thank you, I have been dealing with wifi dropping issues for months, but this change has seemed to eliminate it... hopefully it continues.. ugh what a pain in the rear... thanks again!

mbrewzer

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone having Wifi issues with a D-Link DAP-2553 and the LG G2? I cannot get my G2 to stay connected to this D-Link Router. It's up for a minute and then disconnects for 30 seconds and keeps going back and forth. I have updated the firmware but I'm wondering if this router or Access Point is not having the same problem as the DIR-655 but because the DAP-2553 is a higher end router or AP, there are just not as many of this router out there and not as many people effected by it. I have 2 of the DAP-2553's here at work and have the same problem with both of them. I have had a replacement G2 which I sent back because it fared no better than my current G2. (Same exact issues) So what other conclusion can you make? I have tried many variations in set up, even open with no security. I have had brief success with changing settings but the problem always comes back after a short while. Any suggestions would help or if your like me call D-Link and complain so we can get this thing fixed.

FrownBuzzy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Like the others above using the Dlink DIR-655 if had this same issue.... LG G2 connected to wifi and had internet connection for period of 30 seconds to maybe several minutes at the most... then no data transfer even though it still appeared to be connected to the network.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest available (1.37NA) and this corrected the problem completely for me.

One of the changes noted in the comments/release notes was something about a fix for problem with Samsung S4 connectivity. Nothing mentioned about other phones.

FrownBuzzy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
mbrewzer:

I've never contacted Dlink CS so I don't know how helpful they are... but if I were in your shoes with a less typical model then yeah I'd definitely agree that trying their CS to report the issue and inquire about previous knowledge/upcoming fix would be something that I would try to do.

Darik James

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Its amazing how people just dont take time to think, to use deductive reasoning, nor logical problem solving. Taking an IT course can greatly help your problem solving process.

If your WiFi periodically goes on the blink, then obviously its something to do with either your APPS and/or your SYS CONFIGURATION SETTINGS ...

REBOOTING:
Doing a Hard Boot is unnecessary, Soft Boot gets the job done, albeit temporarily. Yes there is a difference between the 2 as you neophytes seem to use the words carelessly. Hard booting is where you remove the battery & wait 20 secs, then put it back in. Soft booting is simply turning off and back on again; gets the job done but temporarily.

APPS - External
such as Batter Dr, Advance Task Manager Killer, et al, need to be investigated as to whether they're set up to kill wifi. If so, you need to adjust kill to OFF for wifi.

SYS SETTINGS - Internal
Turn Off your Power / Battery Saving Mode. This defies logic, but when you think about it, it makes sense. If you're running another battery saving APP, then it makes sense to turn this OFF as it is overkill, plus your battery drains faster. Not only that, but this last step really permanently solves this issue as i have NO reocurrences of waffeling WiFi. For LG G2, go into SETTINGS, then Device and BATTERY ... turn OFF.

Now onto your IT classes, Lil kids, to develope your problem solving techniques.

jtc303

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Its amazing how people just dont take time to think, to use deductive reasoning, nor logical problem solving. Taking an IT course can greatly help your problem solving process.

If your WiFi periodically goes on the blink, then obviously its something to do with either your APPS and/or your SYS CONFIGURATION SETTINGS ...

REBOOTING:
Doing a Hard Boot is unnecessary, Soft Boot gets the job done, albeit temporarily. Yes there is a difference between the 2 as you neophytes seem to use the words carelessly. Hard booting is where you remove the battery & wait 20 secs, then put it back in. Soft booting is simply turning off and back on again; gets the job done but temporarily.

APPS - External
such as Batter Dr, Advance Task Manager Killer, et al, need to be investigated as to whether they're set up to kill wifi. If so, you need to adjust kill to OFF for wifi.

SYS SETTINGS - Internal
Turn Off your Power / Battery Saving Mode. This defies logic, but when you think about it, it makes sense. If you're running another battery saving APP, then it makes sense to turn this OFF as it is overkill, plus your battery drains faster. Not only that, but this last step really permanently solves this issue as i have NO reocurrences of waffeling WiFi. For LG G2, go into SETTINGS, then Device and BATTERY ... turn OFF.

Now onto your IT classes, Lil kids, to develope your problem solving techniques.

Does being an unnecessary jerk make you feel better about yourself?

A. Soft boots temporarily fix the issue. AWESOME, too bad we're looking for a permanent fix.

B. I don't use any battery saving apps.

C. Don't be condescending to people when you're the one acting childish, ok kiddo?

But thanks for the amazing tips, you truly are an IT guru. :thumbup:

|[JTC MaxxHD]|

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87