Android System GPS running always after 4.2.2 update

big_hercules

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
So I did a 4.2.2 software update of my AT&T LG G2.
I'm having Android System consuming unusually high battery (90%). See the attached screenshots. I go inside the Android System and see that GPS is running non-stop. I'm still getting a decent battery back up thou. But I'm just thinking why is the GPS always running despite it being turned off.

PS: I've disabled Carrier IQ already

2014-01-07-09-51-06.jpg
2014-01-07-09-51-18.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I did a 4.2.2 software update of my AT&T LG G2.
I'm having Android System consuming unusually high battery (90%). See the attached screenshots. I go inside the Android System and see that GPS is running non-stop. I'm still getting a decent battery back up thou. But I'm just thinking why is the GPS always running despite it being turned off.

PS: I've disabled Carrier IQ already

If I am reading that correctly (I have never seen this type of screen before; I am used to Android's battery stats) your device has been unplugged for 17 hours and you have 86% left? That is a lot of idle use. Basically all it is saying is the 90% of the 14%. In other words, 12% of your battery is used by Android. This happens when devices sit idle. Something has to account for your battery drain, and in this case it is Android, because the OS is always running.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way: Welcome to the forums! :D

big_hercules

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
If I am reading that correctly (I have never seen this type of screen before; I am used to Android's battery stats) your device has been unplugged for 17 hours and you have 86% left?
Yes. That is exactly what it is. The phone was charged by 5PM yesterday evening and, it stayed idle pretty much all night except few calls and 20-25 texts. The screen shot is of the built-in LG G2 battery meter app. My daily usage of smartphone is something like this.. 30-45 min of calls, 2 continuously synced email accounts, 1 continuously running internet based text application and occasional browsing. With good signal, I usually get about 80 hrs battery life. I usually charge once in 3 days.

That is a lot of idle use. Basically all it is saying is the 90% of the 14%. In other words, 12% of your battery is used by Android. This happens when devices sit idle. Something has to account for your battery drain, and in this case it is Android, because the OS is always running.
I guess my question is why does it show that GPS is running for 17 hrs 4m 35 sec? Basically all the time phone is running, it shows GPS is running despite GPS being turned off. Any idea why?

By the way: Welcome to the forums! :D

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes. That is exactly what it is. The phone was charged by 5PM yesterday evening and, it stayed idle pretty much all night except few calls and 20-25 texts. The screen shot is of the built-in LG G2 battery meter app. My daily usage of smartphone is something like this.. 30-45 min of calls, 2 continuously synced email accounts, 1 continuously running internet based text application and occasional browsing. With good signal, I usually get about 80 hrs battery life. I usually charge once in 3 days.

I guess my question is why does it show that GPS is running for 17 hrs 4m 35 sec? Basically all the time phone is running, it shows GPS is running despite GPS being turned off. Any idea why?

I think that is referring to the Location Services. If you were to go to Settings>Location Access, you should see 3 options. On/off, GPS satellites, and WiFi/mobile network location. If the second box for GPS is checked try unchecking that. That is apps that may need to know your location to help you, i.e. Maps.
However, I think you phone probably would not last as long if the GPS radios were fully turned on.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think that is referring to the Location Services. If you were to go to Settings>Location Access, you should see 3 options. On/off, GPS satellites, and WiFi/mobile network location. If the second box for GPS is checked try unchecking that. That is apps that may need to know your location to help you, i.e. Maps.
However, I think you phone probably would not last as long if the GPS radios were fully turned on.

Says GPS is turned off. So as GolfDriver said check out the other location services. Maybe the apps draw automatically or keep asking for it. Wish I could offer more help. I got more confused while writing this. Lol

Your battery life still seems great though. I have to believe the GPS isn't effecting anything and it may be an LG thing. My Samsung doesn't even show that statistic.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm fairly certain GPS isn't turned on as I don't see the icon in the notification bar.

It's not the GPS you'd use while traveling, it's the location services which return search results of businesses, etc. close to your location, report your location when you use Twitter or Facebook, etc...

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's not the GPS you'd use while traveling, it's the location services which return search results of businesses, etc. close to your location, report your location when you use Twitter or Facebook, etc...

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

I figured that out after I typed it. ;)

big_hercules

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site

All turned off.

Says GPS is turned off. So as GolfDriver said check out the other location services. Maybe the apps draw automatically or keep asking for it. Wish I could offer more help. I got more confused while writing this. Lol

Your battery life still seems great though. I have to believe the GPS isn't effecting anything and it may be an LG thing. My Samsung doesn't even show that statistic.

Over the weekend, it becomes still better. I think its cuz I've bad signal in office (1-2 out of 5) and I get far too many emails over the day as compared to weekend. The maximum I've gotten out of my battery is close to 4 days - 94 hrs during the Christmas break.

I don't use either of them. I found something else which I've mentioned in the last.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums. :)

Anyway here is what I figured out. Turns out that when I stopped Carrier IQ, it did stop GPS from turning on automatically, but the service/process that was used by Carrier IQ to turn on GPS had not closed correctly. I'm not sure if that is the exact reason. But I turned on GPS and let Maps run for few seconds and turned it off again and now the GPS process is not running anymore. So currently its at 72% of battery.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
All turned off.

Over the weekend, it becomes still better. I think its cuz I've bad signal in office (1-2 out of 5) and I get far too many emails over the day as compared to weekend. The maximum I've gotten out of my battery is close to 4 days - 94 hrs during the Christmas break.

I don't use either of them. I found something else which I've mentioned in the last.

Anyway here is what I figured out. Turns out that when I stopped Carrier IQ, it did stop GPS from turning on automatically, but the service/process that was used by Carrier IQ to turn on GPS had not closed correctly. I'm not sure if that is the exact reason. But I turned on GPS and let Maps run for few seconds and turned it off again and now the GPS process is not running anymore. So currently its at 72% of battery.

Better signal = better battery so that could be it.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
All turned off.

Try this: disable Carrier IQ. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/325138-guide-how-disable-apps.html
Now Carrier IQ may be protected from being disabled. Just to keep that in mind. However, this should work for many other apps.

TexasTammy

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Several weeks ago, my GPS kept turning on. I would turn it off and it came on again at random times. It was eating my battery life. I found this on another thread - try it. it worked for me:

Go to All Settings
Scroll down to Location Access
Turn on Access to My Location
Check the box next to WiFi & Mobile Network Location
Un-check the box next to GPS
Then, Turn OFF the Access to my Location

That sequence of of keystrokes worked on my phone. I got my battery life back!!
I have a LG Optimus G Pro running Android 4.1.2 / Kernel 3.4.0 / Build JZO54k / Software E98010p / AT&T Service
Good Luck All!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad