Verizon Galaxy Note 20 One UI 3.0 / Android 11 update inbound

FACTagent

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Forum is blocking me from posting link to Verizon support page. But changelog is there for Note 20 Ultra. Not showing up on "check for updates" on my phone yet.

Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G Software Update
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a software update for your device. This software update has been tested to optimize device performance, resolve known issues and apply the latest security patches.

Before you download:
Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network, or make sure it has a strong Verizon Wireless network connection.
Ensure your battery is fully charged before starting the software update.
System Update 5
The details:

Release date: 12/18/2020
Android™ Security Patch Level: December 2020
Software Version: RP1A.200720.012.N986USQU1CTL4

What's changing:

This software update brings the latest Android OS 11, with new features including Conversations, Bubbles, Categorized Notifications, and One UI 3.0. It also introduces Advanced Messaging (RCS) for your Galaxy Note20 Ultra.

The latest Android security patch is also included in this update.

Android OS 11 Update

Android OS 11 offers some of the newest ways to control your privacy, customize your phone, and get things done. It's Android, just the way you want it.

Conversations

See, respond to and control your conversations across multiple messaging apps. All in the same spot. Then select people you always chat with. These priority conversations show up on your lock screen.
Bubbles

With Android 11, you can pin conversations so they always appear on top of other apps and screens. Bubbles keep the conversation going—while you stay focused on whatever else you're doing. Access the chat anytime or anywhere.
One UI 3.0

The new One UI 3.0 improves user interaction for Quick Panel, Toolbars, Notifications, Settings, and more.
Privacy Controls

One-time permissions – Give one-time permissions to apps that need your mic, camera or location. The next time the app needs access, it must ask for permission again.

Permissions auto‑reset – If you haven't used an app in a while, you may not want it to keep accessing your data. So Android will reset permissions for your unused apps. You can always turn permissions back on.
Samsung Galaxy Note20 Privacy screenshot
Advanced Messaging (RCS)

This update introduces Advanced Messaging (RCS) for your Galaxy Note20 Ultra.

Advanced Messaging features include:

Send larger text messages: Create larger messages up to 8,000 characters long. With Advanced Messaging you're no longer limited to 160 characters.
Typing indicators: See when your contact is typing in a conversation.
Read receipts: See when your message has been read.
Large group chats: Create group chats with up to 100 participants.*
High-quality media sharing: Share pictures and videos in high-quality.
Chat over Wi-Fi: you can send messages over Wi-Fi, even when you don't have a cellular connection.
Transfer larger files: Send larger attachments than ever before.
Location sharing: Share your location as you travel.
*Group message recipients must also have Advanced Messaging enabled on a compatible device.

See our Advanced Messaging FAQs for more information.

Samsung Galaxy Note20 Advanced Messaging screenshot

FACTagent

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded and installing now. Verizon locked Eastern PA. Got the notification when it was automatically downloading, so VZW is pushing it.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I've installed. Other than some things looking different, what exactly should I be looking for in improvements? I wish they would let me run quad hd with 120hz.

bmetelsky

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Tried the factory reset just to rule out any OS corruption. Advanced messaging still does not work, which is strange since Verizon lists it as a feature in the changelog.
I believe VZW is only supporting it in the S10 line of phones. Everything I read about it on their site specifically talks about it for the S10 phones.

Perhaps they will enable/support it on our Note20s soon enough?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Tried the factory reset just to rule out any OS corruption. Advanced messaging still does not work, which is strange since Verizon lists it as a feature in the changelog.

Verizon is famous for stripping features out of Android devices. :(

How can you get the advanced messaging screen to pop up again? Mine has vanished.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I got the notification of the update on my phone this afternoon and I started doing it, and now my phone is stuck in a never-ending boot loop! What do I do???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000