How many on contract?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So how many of you guys got your Nexus on a new two-year contract? I've been considering getting a contract-free version so that I can go month-to-month. (I don't like sticking with phones for more than a year these days) The only issue I would have with it is that if I got a Nexus off contract it would be around $540, plus monthly costs. (which would be there anyways) If I got a contract version it would be $199, and then whatever the ETF is if I end early. (as high as $200 if I do it within the first year)

dadds27

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
im on contract and next dec is when i will make a tough choice im sure. but right now im happy and dont mind the extra 20 a month to have paid less upfront

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I almost got it on a two-year contract, but then I found out that my monthly plan would have gone up 24.99 (or something more than 20) and I decided to just pay the full price for it.

mab4285

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean?

If you go off contract and buy the phone outright, you get better plan pricing for your plan. I've got my Nexus S bought outright, and my plan is $59.99 a month for 450 min, unlimited text, unlimited data. All that on contract would be $79.99 on contract.

So if you think about it
$540 + $59.99x24 = $1979.76 (outright)
$199 + $79.99x24 = $2118.76 (contract)

Plus, I'm pretty sure tethering is automatically included in this plan.

southgarcia

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering purchasing a Nexus S in the next few days. I'll definitely NOT go with a contract. I have a ToGo SIM I can put in the device and buy minutes as I need them. Since I use Skype at home and work and ToGo minutes discounts abound, voice usually costs me around $200 a year. For data, it's amazing how many free WiFi access points there are these days. When I'm on a trip and need data on the go, I have a Virgin Mobile MiFi 2200 router for which I can purchase 100MB of data for 30 days for $10 or 5GB for 30 days for $40 (used to be "unlimited" but Sprint is getting realistic in their data offerings). By putting up with a little inconvenience I've brought my total service costs to less than $300 a year with no bills, taxes, or fees. That allows me to spend where I appreciate it the most, on the phone.

P.S. I see the phrase "unlimited data" being bantered about. Read the contract: unlimited data means unlimited e-mail and web browsing. That may be enough for most but make sure of the consequences before you attempt to replace your wired broadband service with your phone!

netninja

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
No contract for me. Cheaper in the long run.

I would recommend if you can afford paying for the device in full upfront to do so as you'll be better off for it.