Other than 4G, is the Nexus S on T-Mobile any different from Sprint's version?

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Is there any notable difference between the Sprint Nexus S and T-Mobile Nexus S? Can the T-Mobile version utilize Google Voice as well?

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Is there any notable difference between the Sprint Nexus S and T-Mobile Nexus S? Can the T-Mobile version utilize Google Voice as well?

no there is no other difference and yes it can use google voice but sprint is allowing you to combine the numbers where as on tmobile unless you port your number it would be a separate number.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well the Nexus S of T-Mobile does take advantage of the HSPA+ "4G" T-Mobile has so if you live in a "4G" city then your Nexus S should get faster speeds, maybe even faster than the Nexus S 4G

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So it can get to 4G speeds to some extent? How are the 3G speeds?

So if I were to use the Sprint one, I can use GV and not worry about my minutes decreasing?

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
So it can get to 4G speeds to some extent? How are the 3G speeds?

So if I were to use the Sprint one, I can use GV and not worry about my minutes decreasing?

The 3G speeds are good but I am not too sure because I am using my Nexus S on EDGE. The Nexus S could probably get better speeds than the Nexus S 4G in some areas.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Nexus S on T-Mo takes advantage of HSPA +, but isn't fully compliant. yeah, it's confusing. In a HSPA+ 3G area, I get better speed on my Nexus S (a steady 5-7 Mbs down, 1-5 up, ping in the 60s) than i do with the G2X, which is always over 2 or 3 mbs down, but not as consistent.

In what T-mobile calles a 4G HSPA+ area (again, I'm as confused as you are here lol) I get a maximum 7.2 mb/s down on the Nexus S, but have seen 13 mbs down on the G2x. At Google I/O at the hotel, I was seeing 6.9 mbs down on the Nexus S, and 11.5 down on the G2X.

I'll be honest -- unless I'm tethering a computer, i see no difference in speed for browsing or streaming music/video once i get past ~3 mbs. Big difference on a PC while tethering though.

I hope I've throughly confused everyone lol. I no longer even care about the G's. I just call it normal, fast, and zomg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07