Note 3 Note Reading New Micro 64GB Card ....

vja4Him

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I was excited to receive the 64 GB Micro SDHC card (Samsung microSDXC UHS-I Card Pro) for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Now very disappointed ... I put the card in my iBook G4, but it would not read it. Option to Eject or Format, so I tried formatting Mac OS. Phone would NOT read card. Then formatted DOS. Phone still will not read card.

Last, my Note 3 formatted the card, but now my Mac will not read the card!!! The only way that I can load files onto the card is from my iBook. ALL, yes every single one, of my other SD and SDHC cards are readable with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, so I can load files onto the phone.

Is there a Hidden Secret to getting this card to work with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, or is the card simply defective?

-- Jim ....

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think part of the problem is the two OS will format and save data differently. At least, that is the only thing I can think of.

willanaya

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I was excited to receive the 64 GB Micro SDHC card (Samsung microSDXC UHS-I Card Pro) for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Now very disappointed ... I put the card in my iBook G4, but it would not read it. Option to Eject or Format, so I tried formatting Mac OS. Phone would NOT read card. Then formatted DOS. Phone still will not read card.

Last, my Note 3 formatted the card, but now my Mac will not read the card!!! The only way that I can load files onto the card is from my iBook. ALL, yes every single one, of my other SD and SDHC cards are readable with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, so I can load files onto the phone.

Is there a Hidden Secret to getting this card to work with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, or is the card simply defective?

-- Jim ....

How are you formatting the card? FAT32 or exFAT?

You should format it as a 32FAT, I believe that is the consensus on these forums. I read that a 64gb card should be formatted as a exFAT to get the most out it but 32FAT is the way to go.

I have that same card in my phone and I set it to 32FAT and I have had no problems.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

-- Jim ....

Did you ever get the SD card to work?

nixzero

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like you have a defective card, but I've read tons of posts from other people with similar issues. I have to wonder if devices just can't reliably handle larger SD cards yet, or if larger cards are just more prone to failure.

I received a 64GB SanDisk card as an Xmas gift, and it worked fine for a week, then the card was corrupt and needed reformatting. It's done this 3 times now, and I'm just using it to store photos. I already told the person who gifted it to me that it was working fine, so the receipt has been tossed. Worse yet, I don't have any other devices that support 64GB cards, so I'm stuck dealing with SanDisk. I talked to a friend who was using a 32GB card in his Note 3, and he said he removed it as it shortened his battery life. I wonder if something is constantly accessing the card? Would explain both the battery issues and the corruption...

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Buy Samsung card and format in device but copy to card using reader only. Not usb cable. This will help with indexing service which sucks juice like nobody's business. And Sandisk sucks with Samsung devices. Had many problems with sandisk. Switched to Samsung on last couple of devices and had zero issues.

ATT N3

Unicorn11B

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Almost every problem I've read about with memory cards, here and other forums, has been with the Sandisk brand. One or two problems with a Samsung card.
This leads me to think that Sandisk doesn't work well with Samsungs, or just are bad cards to begin with. From taking hours to index causing overheating, to formatting issues, they just don't seem to work well with Samsungs for some reason.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Almost every problem I've read about with memory cards, here and other forums, has been with the Sandisk brand. One or two problems with a Samsung card.
This leads me to think that Sandisk doesn't work well with Samsungs, or just are bad cards to begin with. From taking hours to index causing overheating, to formatting issues, they just don't seem to work well with Samsungs for some reason.

It seems to be more related to high capacity, high class cards. (32/64 GB and Class 10 or higher)
I have a 16 GB class 4 card and haven't had an issue with it since I bought it two months ago

Sent from my XT1056 using the Android Central App

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

My 2 Sandisk Ultras 64 gb Class 10s that I have in my Note 3, and my Note 2014 must be exceptions. They have been working perfectly from day one. They were both purchased at the same time around the 1st of October 2013. I aquired my Note 3 on Oct 11th, and put the card in right away. Formatted it on the phone. Proceeded to copy 20gbs of movies, pictures and music on the Note 3. Never a hicup. When I aquired my Note 2014, I installed the other one on my Note 2014. Formatted it in the Note 2014, had them both connected to a PC and proceeded to copy the 20gbs of movies, pics and music off the Note 3 onto the Note 2014. And in the almost 3 weeks I had the Note 2014, the Sandisk Ultra has performed without a hitch. Also, I have found out that Sandisk stands behind its products. I had a 32gb thumb drive that cost $160 a couple years ago. Anyway, it started acting funny, I contacted Sandisk, and they told me to send it back, they sent me the latest model one.

Also, they have some FAKE ones out there too. I ran across a couple of those too.

Unicorn11B

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
That you haven't had a problem with yours doesn't mean that people aren't posting problems and asking for help with theirs. I haven't searched, but in the past few weeks I can't recall seeing people posting about problems with any other brand of card, except a couple, maybe three with a Samsung brand (this one obviusly). Neither here, nor on other forums. Why do these to brands seem to have the most problems? Is it just because they are the most used, so there will be more of them out there with issues... just a simple numbers thing? Make a million of something and you'll have a mistake in there someplace?

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
That you haven't had a problem with yours doesn't mean that people aren't posting problems and asking for help with theirs. I haven't searched, but in the past few weeks I can't recall seeing people posting about problems with any other brand of card, except a couple, maybe three with a Samsung brand (this one obviusly). Neither here, nor on other forums. Why do these to brands seem to have the most problems? Is it just because they are the most used, so there will be more of them out there with issues... just a simple numbers thing? Make a million of something and you'll have a mistake in there someplace?

Good point, also, there is the handling of the card that makes a difference too. Such as , the way and where you format it. In all my dealings, the only problem I have had with card was when I got a fake one..Formatted it, it came out to 64gb, but when copied items to it, they were corrupted. This was a $17 64gb Class 10 micro sd card.. I got what I deserved..

In addition, the people having Sandisk cards that are not working, I am sure if they get in touch with Sandisk customer service, they will replace them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress