Ditch Sprint and go to T-Mobile?

Jay20

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I used to be on my dad's ATT plan, but he suspended the account and nixed my unlimited data and I moved to Sprint. Now I kind of have buyers remorse because they embed their SIM cards, get terrible signal inside buildings (being a non VZ CDMA carrier) unless you're right next to a window, and have a slow 3G network, and are taking forever to get LTE up. VZ is not an option, its too expensive, altho its by far the best network. I'm thinking of going to T-Mobile, because their 3G is HSPA+, which is kind of 4G, and LTE gets bad battery life anyway. They also have unlimited data, and I feel like even if I got to the point of throttling, it might STILL be faster than Sprint. I also like the idea of GSM too. But T-Mobile is going under and I wanna know more about their service.

I'm in Eastern LI right now, and probably will be in NYC later this year. I do still own a Photon, which I could use for overseas if Sprint doesn't update their GS3 like Verizon will, but I don't wanna bother owning 2 phones. Helpppp!

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I used to be on my dad's ATT plan, but he suspended the account and nixed my unlimited data and I moved to Sprint. Now I kind of have buyers remorse because they embed their SIM cards, get terrible signal inside buildings (being a non VZ CDMA carrier) unless you're right next to a window, and have a slow 3G network, and are taking forever to get LTE up. VZ is not an option, its too expensive, altho its by far the best network. I'm thinking of going to T-Mobile, because their 3G is HSPA+, which is kind of 4G, and LTE gets bad battery life anyway. They also have unlimited data, and I feel like even if I got to the point of throttling, it might STILL be faster than Sprint. I also like the idea of GSM too. But T-Mobile is going under and I wanna know more about their service.

I'm in Eastern LI right now, and probably will be in NYC later this year. I do still own a Photon, which I could use for overseas if Sprint doesn't update their GS3 like Verizon will, but I don't wanna bother owning 2 phones. Helpppp!

I would use photon on tmobile with there prepaid 100min with 5gb unthrotled data. Then get next nexus :)

Sent from my Tab 2

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I wanna stay on post-paid, not pre-paid.

Not trying to flame or anything but why in the world would you want to stay post paid? I understand about getting a cheaper phone but do the math it will cost alot more over the 2 yr contract. For most instances you are still getting the same quality of network prepaid as with post. Since you are coming to Tmo the 30.00 prepaid is one of the best deals you can get.

What I would say though is see how the signal is by you. I'm in Northen NJ and I have to say I have had really good service with Tmo's signal. That being said I have an issue where I live more by the lack of towers here. Even at 1 to 2 bars the voice quality is great.

Now if you need the minutes that can change the equation. It still though would be way cheaper than post paid. Here's my example, I was on Sprint silver with 450 min unlim txt and data. Then I switched back to Tmo for the 30.00 prepaid plan. Yes I know the minutes are only 100. I don't talk that much but if I did I still save. With Sprint I was paying with tax about 90.00. Lets say I talked over my allotment on Tmo by 100 more minutes. At .10 per min over that's another 10.00. So we have Sprint at 90 vs Tmo with overage at 40.00. I'm still saving a boatload here.

At this point I don't think i'm ever going to go post paid again. But again to each his own. :D

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
When you do tmobile prepaid does that include data?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

It depends on the prepaid. It's not so much that you pay extra for the data it might just be quiet limited (first 200mb @4G the rest of the 2GB at slower 3G). Now with the plan that was offered at walmart. The Tmo plan was just 100 minutes talk, unlimited txt and 5GB 4G data. There are different plans depending on what you want or need.

Reactions: sandyvern

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would stay with sprint if I were u. Yeah data is getting buggy only because of network vision if u can last out only a couple months u will have a good and unlimited 3g wimax and lte network for cheap I know I'm staying also u do get better benefits being post paid I was with boost for 8 years and now I'm with sprint I never got this good cs at boost

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Jay20

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I would stay with sprint if I were u. Yeah data is getting buggy only because of network vision if u can last out only a couple months u will have a good and unlimited 3g wimax and lte network for cheap I know I'm staying also u do get better benefits being post paid I was with boost for 8 years and now I'm with sprint I never got this good cs at boost

do you work for Sprint? I wanna know if Sprint coverage around the US is as good or better than Sprint. My Sprint coverage blows as of now, and I'm on their "unlimited," which is BS bc of how slow their 3G is, and their non-existent LTE. Yea TMo doesn't have any LTE but at least their HSPA+ is way faster than Sprint's 3G.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
do you work for Sprint? I wanna know if Sprint coverage around the US is as good or better than Sprint. My Sprint coverage blows as of now, and I'm on their "unlimited," which is BS bc of how slow their 3G is, and their non-existent LTE. Yea TMo doesn't have any LTE but at least their HSPA+ is way faster than Sprint's 3G.

Sprint coverage around the US is exactly the same as Sprint.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Coverage is Dependant on area. I think sprint coverage as a whole would be a bit better. Data speeds on t mobile are miles ahead of what sprint would offer in almost any area.

If you are planning on paying an etf you could always try out a $30 plan to check coverage.

I would say that eventually sprint will get better. If you are willing to wait or not is up to you.

Around here my edge speeds on t mobile were normally better than. Y sprint 3g. However sprint had better overall connection. T mo doesn't seem to penetrate buildings well. I had no problem with sprint in that area. If sprint data speeds weren't pathetically slow they may be worth the premium they charge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Jay20

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Coverage is Dependant on area. I think sprint coverage as a whole would be a bit better. Data speeds on t mobile are miles ahead of what sprint would offer in almost any area.

If you are planning on paying an etf you could always try out a $30 plan to check coverage.

I would say that eventually sprint will get better. If you are willing to wait or not is up to you.

Around here my edge speeds on t mobile were normally better than. Y sprint 3g. However sprint had better overall connection. T mo doesn't seem to penetrate buildings well. I had no problem with sprint in that area. If sprint data speeds weren't pathetically slow they may be worth the premium they charge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Looks like I'll be paying an ETF. I can't have a situation where I cannot answer a call at work because even on roaming with Sprint, I get no service. At least on t-Mobile I'll get 2G, which is better than anything Sprint has which isn't LTE. Wi-Max is a joke, and their voice coverage is horrific. Plus T-Mobile's getting spectrum from VZ, has more than Sprint, and is actually still running at a profit. Did I mention that swapping your SIM card to another phone doesn't cost 39 dollars?

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Shhh I wish I did work for sprint my bill would be cheaper than it is now lol but honestly I made the choice to get a ns4g until lte comes wimax suits my needs just fine now and I have coverage everywhere I go as soon as Chicago gets lte in a month or two I'll be purchasing the sgs3

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Tmobile right now in Financial District on Manhattan.

d0362585-9923-00ff.jpg

Sent from my HTC One S

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
My two cents:

Prepaid mobile service isn't the redheaded stepchild it used to be. With T-Mo offering BYOD 4G plans and companies like Straight Talk contracting out prepaid T-Mo and AT&T service, it gives people a lot more choices. And I think this market will open up even more if and when more device manufacturers start offering high-quality unlocked phones at a reasonable price, like Google is with the GNex.

I'm leaving Sprint (after 11 years of being a customer) and going to T-Mo prepaid because I'm not going to sign another 2 year commitment so they can *maybe* get LTE deployed where I live. And I'd be saving hundreds of dollars per year, even with the higher initial cost of getting an unlocked phone (GNex is what I'm looking at).

In my mind, the only real advantages with postpaid are:

1. You can get a brand new device every couple of years at a considerably lower up-front cost, if you don't mind signing another agreement. It's still the cheapest up-front way to get a high-end device.

2. Many postpaid plans include free mobile-to-mobile and night/weekend minutes. But depending on the prepaid plan, this point can be relatively moot if it's already giving you unlimited talk.

3. You can get optional replacement insurance through your carrier in case your device gets lost, stolen or damaged. With BYOD prepaid, you generally have to go third-party.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Prepaid is becoming more and more attractive
Tmobile's $30 plan/100 min talk/unlimited text/unlimited data (capped at 5gb for 4g speed) was alot better than $55 prepaid Boost on "3G" service that was slower than dialup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1aas