New unlimited plan still throttles after 4.5 gigs

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's not unlimited. Thought you guys would like to know. This is why 4.5 gigs and unlimited cost the same

T-Mobile claims 99% of users use less than 4.5 gigs so they feel comfortable calling it unlimited since only 1% will notice it's not and have to pay another 10$ for two more gigs

Sent from my Nexus 4

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
It's not unlimited. Thought you guys would like to know. This is why 4.5 gigs and unlimited cost the same

T-Mobile claims 99% of users use less than 4.5 gigs so they feel comfortable calling it unlimited since only 1% will notice it's not and have to pay another 10$ for two more gigs

Do you have any source on this? T-Mobile said no caps since Sept. 5 on their data plans. They even tweeted the news https://twitter.com/TMobile/status/238410282332995584

Sent from my Nexus 4

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Any proof of this? Would want to see someone on the actual simple choice plan who has used 4.5 gb and is now throttled.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Any proof of this? Would want to see someone on the actual simple choice plan who has used 4.5 gb and is now throttled.

This. In fine print any carrier says they can slow you down.. That's to cover their.. Yeah.. But some don't act on it.

So I'd like to see proof of your claim.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This. In fine print any carrier says they can slow you down.. That's to cover their.. Yeah.. But some don't act on it.

So I'd like to see proof of your claim.

Agreed. That wording is so they can deal with those that ABUSE the network. I signed up for unlimited data because I want to be able to use my phone without worrying about hitting a cap not because I want to replace my home internet. To me there's a difference between the two.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Any carrier is going to throttle you if you stream movies all day long. It does not matter what price you paid. If you adversely impact the network for others they will throttle you. I would like to see some proof of the first post where you say they will throttle you after 4.5GB, or any specific amount for that matter. That is simply incorrect.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Verizon doesn't throttle unlimited data users on 4G LTE no matter how much data you use.

I've read this elsewhere too, saying it was a 4g limitation and there's no way to throttle. not yet anyway. But on 3g they will throttle, just depends.... I've seen posts saying they're a truck driver or something and how they go through tens of gigabytes per month streaming music, or whatever. No idea why, I thought that's what XM radio, etc was for...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I've read this elsewhere too, saying it was a 4g limitation and there's no way to throttle. not yet anyway. But on 3g they will throttle, just depends.... I've seen posts saying they're a truck driver or something and how they go through tens of gigabytes per month streaming music, or whatever. No idea why, I thought that's what XM radio, etc was for...
It's free to stream music you own and is stored in the cloud and there are free streaming radio services whereas you have to pay for XM radio. You can also watch netflix on your tablet wifi tethered to your phone if you are a trucker at night when you pull over. There are some TV services, too.

Some people who live in rural areas don't have cable or dsl and they use it as their home internet service.

Technically Verizon says it can throttle the top 5% of data users if there is network congestion. I have never heard of them actually doing it on 4G LTE and it has something to do with the terms of their Block C licenses.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

As said previously you can stream XM from your phone so people will use the app rather than buy another radio for their car.

Also data is easy to go through if you do media heavy things. I stream a lot of music at work but sometimes I will watch netflix or hulu or even just HD youtube. You do enough and you can easily see GB of data being used. As you can see I've used a good amount (there are currently 8 days left in my billing cycle).

So some people do use it and can use 10+ a month.. The terms that say they can throttle are (as people have said previously) just people who want to replace their home internet and use 50-100+ GB or sometimes even more.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364847861341.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364847861341.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 140

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As said previously you can stream XM from your phone so people will use the app rather than buy another radio for their car.

Also data is easy to go through if you do media heavy things. I stream a lot of music at work but sometimes I will watch netflix or hulu or even just HD youtube. You do enough and you can easily see GB of data being used. As you can see I've used a good amount (there are currently 8 days left in my billing cycle).

So some people do use it and can use 10+ a month.. The terms that say they can throttle are (as people have said previously) just people who want to replace their home internet and use 50-100+ GB or sometimes even more.

I'm just surprised you can use 4gb of EVDO in a month. When I was on Sprint I couldn't break 1gb even with tethering.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
A thought I've had for a while... What if wireless carriers adopted the hone broadband method of charging based on maximum bandwidth and network priority? There's been discussions about network shaping is a better way of dealing with network use than hard data caps.

kotbn18

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Well Im on their prepaid unlimited plan. And last month i used over 12gb of data and didn't get throttled at all. In my area Im pulling down fast speeds. But i stream all of my music and watch netfilx a lot.

Sent from my underrated galaxy s blaze 4g

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364883975621.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364883975621.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 104

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm just surprised you can use 4gb of EVDO in a month. When I was on Sprint I couldn't break 1gb even with tethering.

Two words... Network Vision :). The 3g isn't the best but as you can see its improved and the LTE is pretty nice. Below are some LTE speed tests.. These are only test sites since Jacksonville isn't officially launched yet.. But I'll take it :).

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364921908316.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364921908316.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 249
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364921971514.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364921971514.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 247

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Two words... Network Vision :). The 3g isn't the best but as you can see its improved and the LTE is pretty nice. Below are some LTE speed tests.. These are only test sites since Jacksonville isn't officially launched yet.. But I'll take it :).

Again it's all about location. Sprint in the DC area was comparable to other carriers until about 2 years ago when the other big 3 forged ahead while Sprint continues to stay well behind.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Again it's all about location. Sprint in the DC area was comparable to other carriers until about 2 years ago when the other big 3 forged ahead while Sprint continues to stay well behind.

Oh I agree for sure on location. Just saying every place they do NV at its improving. So I am just glad they are finally stepping in that direction.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh I agree for sure on location. Just saying every place they do NV at its improving. So I am just glad they are finally stepping in that direction.

And sprint is slowing coming into the DC area as on s4gru.com

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Naw bro nv would've been kicked it by then plus lte 800 1900 2500 also haha. Me and my wallet is really feeling sprint.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa