T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
2G Edge speeds are worthless for any web browsing. I tried it once set my phone to 2G and not only could I not stream even 64k streams but Amazon mobile home page took over a minute and it did not even fully load. If anything you should be throttled to at least 1MB to 3MB not puny 128kbps.

droidfan2014

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Sprint still has unlimited data plans. However, starting June 1st, 2014
Sprint will be throttling the so called
Top 5% data user's in congested areas. If you ask me? Every where in the US seems to be in that category when your on Sprint's network.
Sounds eerie similar to what AT&T said before they implemented a capped /throttled data speeds to grandfathered unlimited data customers

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Throttled Internet doesn't mean it's not unlimited

Posted via the Android Central App

droidfan2014

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but if there isn't high demand in your area the throttling should either not be existent or less???

I've been on the $30/month plan and use LINE and GrooveIP and haven't had any problems at all... I've gotten so used to using voip and LINE for calls that some months now I don't even use my 100 minutes.

Also I don't even come close to using the 5G in a month of LTE 4g usually anyhow...

Voip uses ALOT Of data

Carson C

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
For fun, I tried connecting to 2g, speed tested it(very slow) and could use tunein at a lowered bit rate, and used basic websites. I love music, and if your music stream bit rate is lower than 128 kbps, it runs just as fast, even with the slow latency!

Za Capo

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I could be saving big bucks from switching from sprint to tmobile but how slow is the throttle after 500 mb?

It says "2G speeds" but is that still LTE, so I still get the benefits of the LTE latency?

What speed tests do you usually get? Is it better than the unusable 3G on sprint?

Do things like Pandora, Netflix, youtube still work?

To be honest, the 2G speeds are way slower than the 4G/LTE speeds but I have found most social media to work fine, YouTube works great actually. Streaming music is the only thing I haven't tried on their 2G netwlrk. T MOBILE FOR THE WIN

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully in a few years throttling will switch from 2g to 3g.
Carriers want to phase out 3g and such in the future to re-purpose it. When throttled you don't drop to 2g.. You're still on LTE it just slows it down. Throttles can happen on any network if setup that way to limit only a certain amount of throughput.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming the throttled speed is the same as the throttled roaming speed I got while in West Virginia (no native coverage, roamed on att entire time on their hspa network). My speeds as tested were max 128kbps. Typically saw 115kbps. So... Best case about twice as fast as dial up. Not that that's saying much. 128k slacker streams buffered too much to be usable but 64kbps worked fine. So Pandora should work. I don't see how you'd do any video at all unless you want to wait a while. Websites generally worked but had to wait longer. It was mostly tolerable. Facebook actually worked just fine. The biggest problem with 2g was the latency measured in seconds. I used 1x on sprint. It's speeds seemed usable. But because of its absolutely ridiculous latency, everything took forever. It was useless. Throttling on t-mobile means at least you get low latency. Unless you're actually on t-mobile edge or (gasp) GPMS. In which case don't even bother

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
After using your data allowance how does something like Netflix work? I figure not too good. My prepaid plan just has data optimization and not the full binge.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
After using your data allowance how does something like Netflix work? I figure not too good. My prepaid plan just has data optimization and not the full binge.

If you're on throttle Netflix and things won't work. Only basic internet pages would.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
How can you you tell your being throttled? My daughter and I regularly go past the theoretical 22 MB cap with in a week or two into our billing cycle. We have binge turned off. Youtube, netflix, [redacted], MLB.com, etc works great. I assume not all areas are subjected to throttling? So, therefore your area might not be throttled too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How can you you tell your being throttled? My daughter and I regularly go past the theoretical 22 MB cap with in a week or two into our billing cycle. We have binge turned off. Youtube, netflix, [redacted], MLB.com, etc works great. I assume not all areas are subjected to throttling? So, therefore your area might not be throttled too?

I assume you meant 22 GB cap ;). Either way -- you would notice by just crappy speeds. Struggling to do things you did in the same area without an issue. They only throttle if you go over the "soft cap" and the area is congested. If the area isn't congested they don't do the throttle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87