T-Mobile: How slow is the throttle?

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I could be saving big bucks from switching from sprint to tmobile but how slow is the throttle after 500 mb?

It says "2G speeds" but is that still LTE, so I still get the benefits of the LTE latency?

What speed tests do you usually get? Is it better than the unusable 3G on sprint?

Do things like Pandora, Netflix, youtube still work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: How slow is the throttle?

I could be saving big bucks from switching from sprint to tmobile but how slow is the throttle after 500 mb?

It says "2G speeds" but is that still LTE, so I still get the benefits of the LTE latency?

What speed tests do you usually get? Is it better than the unusable 3G on sprint?

Do things like Pandora, Netflix, youtube still work?

I have heard it is around .02 MB/s. Pandora, and YouTube probably won't work. Netflix I highly doubt will work.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I have heard it is around .02 MB/s. Pandora, and YouTube probably won't work. Netflix I highly doubt will work.

Data speeds are typically measured in kbps or mbps, so around 150kbps (approximately 0.15mbps) for 2g

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

It will be 2G Speeds, which is slower then 3G! You would be surprised though!!! I have Verizon... Always have LTE, but when i am inside the beverage cooler stocking at my job, i have 1X (CDMA Symbol for 2G Speeds) and i stream SPOTIFY Just Fine! :) It All Depends on the carrier though!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The throttle sucks.. I wouldn't be able to take it lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

It will be 2G Speeds, which is slower then 3G! You would be surprised though!!! I have Verizon... Always have LTE, but when i am inside the beverage cooler stocking at my job, i have 1X (CDMA Symbol for 2G Speeds) and i stream SPOTIFY Just Fine! :) It All Depends on the carrier though!

2G or 4G that is "2G speeds"

Big difference when it comes to latency

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

The throttle truly sucks. It tricks you too because you see the message go over and everything is still nice and fast 4G and you think everything's okay.

But then once it goes through you realize you're horrible reality. .02 MBPS is fast I believe. I never got over .05 MBPS. When I was in major cities it was always under .05. T-mobile means business when they say they throttle you. I loved the cost of the walmart plan but the throttling wasn't worth it. I'm on unlimited $70 a month now and I love it. Don't ever make yourself go through the throttle hell. Either set your own limits and be cautious otherwise go over and wait 5 minutes for a page to load T_T

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

The throttle truly sucks. It tricks you too because you see the message go over and everything is still nice and fast 4G and you think everything's okay.

But then once it goes through you realize you're horrible reality. .02 MBPS is fast I believe. I never got over .05 MBPS. When I was in major cities it was always under .05. T-mobile means business when they say they throttle you. I loved the cost of the walmart plan but the throttling wasn't worth it. I'm on unlimited $70 a month now and I love it. Don't ever make yourself go through the throttle hell. Either set your own limits and be cautious otherwise go over and wait 5 minutes for a page to load T_T

With the Walmart plan, was it only thottled after 5gigs? Did you have full LTE speeds until the 5 gigs was up?

Posted via Android Central App

Jay Holm

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Walmart plan? I have a real plan, T-Mobile post-paid, no throttle, truly unlimited data.

Posted using Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4 T-Mobile

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Walmart plan? I have a real plan, T-Mobile post-paid, no throttle, truly unlimited data.

Posted using Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4 T-Mobile

The Walmart plan is unlimited text, unlimited data (5GB at 4g), and 100 min voice.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

2G or 4G that is "2G speeds"

Big difference when it comes to latency

IT Doesnt Matter with TMOBILE, Whether you are on LTE, 4G HSPA or 3G... ALL SPEEDS Will be THROTTLES to 2g Speeds after the initial Data CAP Limit!! I was saying, that with VERIZON... I get 1X (Which is 2G) When i am working in the Cooler which blocks most signal and i can still stream SPOTIFY

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

IT Doesnt Matter with TMOBILE, Whether you are on LTE, 4G HSPA or 3G... ALL SPEEDS Will be THROTTLES to 2g Speeds after the initial Data CAP Limit!! I was saying, that with VERIZON... I get 1X (Which is 2G) When i am working in the Cooler which blocks most signal and i can still stream SPOTIFY

Well, if you're on 4G, but throttled to 2G speeds, the latency is much better compared to just being on 2G. Speed isn't everything, latency matters more when it comes to say web browsing

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

With the Walmart plan, was it only thottled after 5gigs? Did you have full LTE speeds until the 5 gigs was up?

Posted via Android Central App

I have an Alcatel One Touch Fierce..trying to get a new phone. The phone is only capable of 4G. The highest speeds I got when I wasn't throttled was 12 MBPS. Which is MORE than enough to really do anything online. And that went all the way down to .02 MBPS. I get what you're asking about if LTE gives you better data once they cap you. I don't think think it matters if it's 4G or LTE. I think you are reduced to speeds slower than edge regardless. You can try it out if you want but I don't recommend it. Not until you are almost at the end of the billing cycle at least. That's why i left the walmart plan and went to $70 unlimited.

It might cost a bit more but the unlimited plan really is worth it. Don't have to worry about saving 100 minutes or using Groove IP or trying to conserve your data. Also, the 2.5 to tether is NICE. Even nicer when t-mobile for some reason doesn't detect your data usage. Should have taken advantage of that more.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
500MB is pretty much useless, 2G speeds will not stream any of the apps you are asking about. While improved low latency will help in response time, in my opinion it is not enough to overcome the constant broad streams needed, especially involving video. $70 will get you unlimited LTE and that is what I have. Therefore, I can't really test to see whether T-Mobile kicks you off the LTE frequency once you reach your limit or not. Either way, I don't think that is what you want. Also, T-Mobile appears to be the only carrier currently offering unlimited LTE to new customers.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
500MB is pretty much useless, 2G speeds will not stream any of the apps you are asking about. While improved low latency will help in response time, in my opinion it is not enough to overcome the constant broad streams needed, especially involving video. $70 will get you unlimited LTE and that is what I have. Therefore, I can't really test to see whether T-Mobile kicks you off the LTE frequency once you reach your limit or not. Either way, I don't think that is what you want. Also, T-Mobile appears to be the only carrier currently offering unlimited LTE to new customers.

Sprint doesn't offer unlimited data to new customers anymore?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Unlimited 4G? It is not really clear on their site. Also there is this limitation: "Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps."

If you add unlimited data to Sprint you get unlimited 3g/4g.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
t-mobile throttled is fast enough for web and email , and web is even noticeably slow but usable.
You might be able to stream low quality streams like the free pandora streams but Google music is no go, even on low quality.
Quite frankly the high probability of buffering while trying to streaming music make me not want to even attempt it.
I've got a 2.5GB cap right now and that's more than enough for me most months. When I go over I don't try to stream music or definitely not video.
It's not worth the pain, though web, email and most apps that are mostly pulling text are fine to use, just a little slow but usable.
I wouldn't say the data after throttle is worthless, it's usable for a few things. But they make sure you feel the difference because they want you to pony up for the more expensive plans, which makes sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38