T-Mobile: Shady Way of making me pay for Jump?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Shady Way of making me pay for Jump?

You signed up for those because you wanted to use those services .... You did NOT ask for insurance and they REQUIRE it to upgrade your phone it is BS shady tactics and if it wasn't for the fact it is cheaper I would go back to AT&T

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

It is a requirement for the service.. You want the service you get the free trial... Which you are told about and have a month to cancel before being charged... Therefore it's your fault if you don't do it.. No different than any other trial.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh and yeah as you said you want the service.. Well you want T-Mobile? Same thing as wanting to try Netflix... You want the service.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Oh and yeah as you said you want the service.. Well you want T-Mobile? Same thing as wanting to try Netflix... You want the service.

I want the service not the BS insurance that is "required" but really isn't still shady no matter how you want to spin it

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I want the service not the BS insurance that is "required" but really isn't still shady no matter how you want to spin it

Not really. You want Netflix? Free trial and charge after. You want T-Mobile? Insurance free trial charge after if not canceled and you're told this upon purchase so you are aware.. It's not hidden from you so no surprise on your bill if you don't cancel.

It obviously doesn't bother you as bad as you're making it sound since you're staying with T-Mobile rather than compensating with AT&T by using a lower data plan or something. T-Mobile must be doing something right for you to want to stay.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Op, you had the option to opt out by not switching to TMo. Once the rep said you HAD to, there was your chance to say no thanks, and walk away.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Not really. You want Netflix? Free trial and charge after. You want T-Mobile? Insurance free trial charge after if not canceled and you're told this upon purchase so you are aware.. It's not hidden from you so no surprise on your bill if you don't cancel.

It obviously doesn't bother you as bad as you're making it sound since you're staying with T-Mobile rather than compensating with AT&T by using a lower data plan or something. T-Mobile must be doing something right for you to want to stay.

It is cheaper... Service is 10 times better in my house with AT&T.... Shady is shady and that is shady it'd not a free trial because it isn't it is shady business tactic. There is no reason why it is required to add it other than for you to forget to cancel it and charge you more money

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Op, you had the option to opt out by not switching to TMo. Once the rep said you HAD to, there was your chance to say no thanks, and walk away.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

I needed a phone to actually work longer then 9-10 hours (nexus 5). Funny part was she said it was required when I signed up and borough my nexus 5 with me but you can't put insurance on a phone I did not buy from them lol. T-Mobile also doesn't require you to add it online and just their stores.... It's BS and has it written all over it just a way to take more money out of your pocket hopi g you forget

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is cheaper... Service is 10 times better in my house with AT&T.... Shady is shady and that is shady it'd not a free trial because it isn't it is shady business tactic. There is no reason why it is required to add it other than for you to forget to cancel it and charge you more money

There is a reason.. The company says so. You want to use their network you have to go by their terms.. Not yours.

You could argue anything about having things required.. Why is a data plan required with smart phones on some carriers? They tell people it is but most allow data blocks on the line but that is only if the customer knows before hand.. Otherwise they tell you that you need a data plan.. They don't pitch the data blocked smartphone because they want to up charge you... Even though some could survive solely on wifi.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
There is a reason.. The company says so. You want to use their network you have to go by their terms.. Not yours.

You could argue anything about having things required.. Why is a data plan required with smart phones on some carriers? They tell people it is but most allow data blocks on the line but that is only if the customer knows before hand.. Otherwise they tell you that you need a data plan.. They don't pitch the data blocked smartphone because they want to up charge you... Even though some could survive solely on wifi.

Main Entry: shady
Pronunciation: \ˈshā-dē\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): shad?i?er; shad?i?est
Date: 1579
1 : producing or affording shade 2 : sheltered from the sun's rays 3 a : of questionable merit

It is Shady... I'm not moving out that statement at all because it is Shady. You don't need insurance to upgrade a phone and is a optional premium PERIOD.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Shady Way of making me pay for Jump?

Well, T-Mobile isn't AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. Just because one carrier does or does not do something doesn't mean they are all going to follow. If that were the case, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint would be offering unlimited data plans, but that ain't (yes, I know it's not a word) happening.

When I ported all 4 of my lines to Tmo after many years with Verizon, the rep said she had to add Jump but I could take it off. When she explained what Jump is, it was no brainer. I kept it.

I don't think this is shady at all. I think it's a good business practice. It gives you time to think about it before you decide if you don't want it. Because law of averages states that as soon as you call and remove it from your account, something IS going to happen to your device, at which point you're screwed. :)

Sprint does have unlimited plans.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
In the end I decided to keep since I love upgrading my phones but still don't like how they forced it upon us to turn it off and "requires" it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you decided to keep it, why is this still an issue?

Sent from my Anthem filled Note 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Main Entry: shady
Pronunciation: \ˈshā-dē\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): shad?i?er; shad?i?est
Date: 1579
1 : producing or affording shade 2 : sheltered from the sun's rays 3 a : of questionable merit

It is Shady... I'm not moving out that statement at all because it is Shady. You don't need insurance to upgrade a phone and is a optional premium PERIOD.

Sorry you do have to have it to upgrade. It is a requirement by T-Mobile and you are using their network. Don't like it? Go elsewhere.

It obviously doesn't bother you as bad as you make it seem since well you are still on T-Mobile and.. You kept the thing you are mad at.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry you do have to have it to upgrade. It is a requirement by T-Mobile and you are using their network. Don't like it? Go elsewhere.

It obviously doesn't bother you as bad as you make it seem since well you are still on T-Mobile and.. You kept the thing you are mad at.

I can still call it Shady which it is

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is shady to me..

Sprint charging a 4g charge and adding 10 dollars to everyone's bill when they started Wimax when majority of customers didn't even see 4g for a long long long time.. And you couldn't.. Again.. COULD NOT get out of that charge. Even in a 3g only area you HAD to pay this charge...

That's shady. Not a.. Hey we are going to add this.. Cancel before a month and no charge.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can still call it Shady which it is

And I can still completely disagree and say it's not. That's the joy of opinions :)... They are just our interpretation of things.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I won't speak for other carriers but Verizon requires a data plan for all 4GLTE smartphones. You can not block data to remove the data charge even on older plans that charge data individually per line.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also if you want something shady, Tmobile's initial simple choice offering was shady because they didn't sufficiently let people know that you have to pay the remainder in a lump sum should you decide to leave tmobile. A state attorney general sued them and tmobile changed their policy to provide sufficient warning of this policy and offered people who bought phones a chance to return them even past the return period.

This one, not so much so long as they inform you that you can cancel jump at anytime.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra