LTE on Both T-Mobile & Verizon

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I've been searching this topic for at least a week now.
At first I thought my Verizon Note 2 was capable, but now I read it isn't.
What phones are compatable with both Verizon and T-Mobile's LTE?

Posted via the Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
LTE on Both T-Mobile & Verizon

Nexus 6 and iPhone 6 and 6 plus for sure ....idk about the rest. I don't think others have the required frequencies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: LTE on Both T-Mobile & Verizon

S4,s5,note 3, note 4,note edge, Moto x 2013&2014,htc one m8(NOT m7),lg g2,g3,iPhone 5s,5c,6,6p,Nexus 6, droid turbo, droid mini, droid ultra, droid maxx (NOT the Droid razr maxx or the Droid razr hd maxx). Probably others.

Keep in mind many don't have aws hspa+ so you won't be getting 4g in some areas. Also I am referring to lte band 4 support, which is tmobile primary lte l. TMobile also has lte band 2and 12 currently.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
So my s3 from Verizon will not work? I am asking because I considered buying a tmobile sim and trying the service with prepaid for one month.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Verizon Galaxy S5
NETWORK LTE Band 13/4 (700/1700
MHz), CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900
MHz); Global - EDGE/GSM
(850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS
(850/900/1900/2100)

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Verizon Note 4
NETWORK: LTE Band 13/4
(700/1700 MHz), CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A
(800/1900 MHz); Global Network: EDGE/
GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS
(850/900/1900/2100)

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
So my s3 from Verizon will not work? I am asking because I considered buying a tmobile sim and trying the service with prepaid for one month.

The Verizon S3 not only lacks T-Mobile's primary LTE bands, but does not have a GSM radio at all. Not only would LTE not work, but you could not make calls or texts or get low speed data either.

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Well that won't work. What I need to get one through them? Would it be different technology? My mom has a iphone 5c. Would she need to get a different phone as well? Will her 5c get all the signals like it is supposed to with t-mobile?

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Well that won't work. What I need to get one through them? Would it be different technology? My mom has a iphone 5c. Would she need to get a different phone as well? Will her 5c get all the signals like it is supposed to with t-mobile?
The Verizon iPhone 5c is compatible but it will only get up to 4G. It will not work with T-Mobiles LTE.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

You need a phone that is 1) unlocked, 2) has the correct radios and 3) supports the correct bands. For radios, both Verizon and T-Mobile use LTE for high-speed data, but Verizon uses CDMA for voice and low-speed data while T-Mobile uses GSM. They are both transitioning to LTE for voice as well but it will be some time before that's the standard nationwide. Most new Verizon phones support GSM as well for the sake of being compatible overseas.

Band support gets a little trickier. Verizon uses Band 13 at 700MHz for the bulk of its LTE network, but is using Band 4 for its "XLTE" service. They are also adding Band 2 for additional bandwidth. T-Mobile uses Band 4 primarily and supplements with Band 2. They are also building out Band 12 but that's in the early stages right now. What that amounts to is that newer Verizon phones that are compatible with XLTE will work with LTE on T-Mobile, but older phones (even just a couple years old) will not.

The iPhone 5C is compatible with all of T-Mobile's bands (except for Band 12, which I wouldn't worry about right now) per GSMArena below.

Apple iPhone 5c - Full phone specifications

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You need a phone that is 1) unlocked, 2) has the correct radios and 3) supports the correct bands. For radios, both Verizon and T-Mobile use LTE for high-speed data, but Verizon uses CDMA for voice and low-speed data while T-Mobile uses GSM. They are both transitioning to LTE for voice as well but it will be some time before that's the standard nationwide. Most new Verizon phones support GSM as well for the sake of being compatible overseas.

Band support gets a little trickier. Verizon uses Band 13 at 700MHz for the bulk of its LTE network, but is using Band 4 for its "XLTE" service. They are also adding Band 2 for additional bandwidth. T-Mobile uses Band 4 primarily and supplements with Band 2. They are also building out Band 12 but that's in the early stages right now. What that amounts to is that newer Verizon phones that are compatible with XLTE will work with LTE on T-Mobile, but older phones (even just a couple years old) will not.

The iPhone 5C is compatible with all of T-Mobile's bands (except for Band 12, which I wouldn't worry about right now) per GSMArena below.

Apple iPhone 5c - Full phone specifications

Also all Verizon devices (or well newer ones .. from the 5S and on I believe) are unlocked by default.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Also all Verizon devices (or well newer ones .. from the 5S and on I believe) are unlocked by default.
Actually they started in 2013. I know know the iPhone 5 was the first factory unlocked phone for Apple through Verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site