Thinking about switching

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on Verizon and have 1 line on project fi. Since I don't have a Google phone, my fi sim keeps my phone on T-mobile all the time. I've had no issues. Are all of you happy with T-mobile? I know verizon just lowered their prices, but T-mobile still has the better plan. Your feelings would be appreciated.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on Verizon and have 1 line on project fi. Since I don't have a Google phone, my fi sim keeps my phone on T-mobile all the time. I've had no issues. Are all of you happy with T-mobile? I know verizon just lowered their prices, but T-mobile still has the better plan. Your feelings would be appreciated.

Do you travel internationally? Fi offers better data speeds overseas than TMO does.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Do you travel internationally? Fi offers better data speeds overseas than TMO does.

I do, (not the OP) but I'm on Verizon. Verizon's service overseas has been pretty decent IMO, though one time it did get rather stupid expensive. I only responded because I want to switch to TMO the absolute minute they have acceptable service in my area.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I do, (not the OP) but I'm on Verizon. Verizon's service overseas has been pretty decent IMO, though one time it did get rather stupid expensive. I only responded because I want to switch to TMO the absolute minute they have acceptable service in my area.

Verizon I believe charges $10 extra/day for HS data overseas? Fi basically extends your US data plan to a lot more countries than TMO does, for no extra cost.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Isn't project fi 10 dollars a GB? And in 135 countries? T-mobile has free roaming in over 140 countries.
In Japan the speeds(roaming on softbank) are just fine even in the subways. Even though the speeds weren't Lte type? The latency must have been pretty good because I could use Google maps and YouTube just fine.
Texting and sending mms pictures back and forth with friends back in Hawaii didn't even seem like I was in a foreign country. Connect to a WiFi and calls back home was seamless too. And all this was free. Highly recommend T-mobile if your an international traveler like me.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on att and Tmo says it has LTE in VT...Must be pretty new if this is the case. I know about 4-5 years ago they never had any towers in VT.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
At this point, T-Mobile has closed the network gap to the point where it's a wash for most people (which is the core reason why Verizon was pressured to intro a unlimited plan in the first place)... either carrier will get you what you want. So it's a matter of which gives you the better deal. Now, on a per-line bases, T-Mobile's One plan is still a better deal (in particular if you have two lines)... not only is the base charge less, T-Mobile now rolls taxes and fees into the price... So for 4 lines, T-Mobile's One plan is $160 flat, where Verizon's is $180 + taxes and fees.

Now, the tricky bits is current customers. Both are throwing stuff like free phones when you port in a number and trade in an eligible phone... or ETF reimbursement fees, etc... So for, say, a T-Mobile customer switching to Verizon, a free phone or two can alter the economics of the plan.

Competition works!

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Isn't project fi 10 dollars a GB? And in 135 countries? T-mobile has free roaming in over 140 countries.

Yes, but Project Fi's $10/GB is good for free high speed roaming data in the US or any of those 135 countries. TMO's base plans give you high speed in the US and maybe North America. In the remaining 130+ countries you get an average of at most 256 kbps (ONE+, $85.)

So if you use limited data in the US (up to ~4GB) or internationally and/or need better coverage in the US, Fi is the carrier to go with over TMO.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Very happy since switching. I live in the Williamsburg area of Virginia and frequent Richmond area along with the peninsula quite a bit. Great signal overall but still doesn't get into more of the remote rural areas. Nobody has ever competed well against Verizon out here in Virginia. I'm very surprised TMobile has invested and grown so much in this part of the state. At&t doesn't even sell plans down here the coverage is so bad for GSM. I guess LTE is changing that

mustang8918

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm in in the Hampton Roads/VA Beach area myself and am really thinking about switching to TMobile from Verizon. My biggest complaint with verizon is that they always remove some features from their android phones that the manufacturers include and I'm tired of that. The prices are higher but that not a big problem for me but removing features from a phone that I'm paying for is. I'll do some research over the next few days and maked a decision by Saturday.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i know every area can be different, but I switched 5 lines from VZW to T-Mobile and it has been great. I actually get better speeds and coverage in some locations

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I had to drop TMo last year for ATT (I am using prepaid with both) as I could not get a signal at work or home; I am in NYC. I have an Idol 3 which lost band 12, I have no issues at all with ATT.
Has Tmo improved where I should have no issues without Band 12 inside of buildings with Tmo?

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez