My Android Experience Only Gets Worse

Citizendino

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I was having a discussion on Google Plus, and I realized that I have Android 2.3.4 on my Nexus S, unrooted, on ATT.

So, that puts me several updates behind.

Seriously, this is horrible. I do not even have the most current version of the OLD SOFTWARE.

Is there a setting I am missing? Because when I check the System update spot, it says I am up to date, when clearly I am not.

This is a horrible experience.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You're having a horrible experience because you found out you're not on the latest version? Are you even having any issues with the phone? Just flash a custom rom and you'll be up to date.

Citizendino

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I am having a horrible experience. Why do I need to actively flash software to an operating system on the Nexus line of phones? Why is this not supported by an OTA update?

I know this other company, and when they talk about new versions of software, your phone magically gets that software.

Now, my phone does not even have the newest, and the fact is that the selling point for the Nexus line is that you were supposed to be first in line.

This is pathetic from Android, and Samsung.

feastingonflesh

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I can both agree and disagree with you. I was a BlackBerry user for years and updates were hit and miss but when they were official it was super easy to get them from RIM. You also had the option of custom os builds. So now with Nexus i agree that if you don't want to flash software, it would be great if it was easier to get "official" updates. The other side is, I find it great that this phone has the options to be open source. just my two cents.

Citizendino

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Sure I am. I own a phone, in which the software is created by Google. This software has been released. But, the maker of my PHONE will not update said software. My carrier will not update said software.

If I go to my carrier and ask for technical support, they have none. Literally no help with android at all. No matter the question.

If I go to my phones builder, Samsung, they deny that the update exists, then they say it is not official, then they also tell me that 2.3.7 is not official.

So, I have a device that no one supports the hard ware, I have a device that no one supports the software, and I have a device that well, is great, unless I need some help with it.

So, how does a company choose to use android? Can they? No, not really.

How does any individual get help with a Nexus S, the supposed flagship Android line (the Nexus line), well, you can't.

I can go to an XDA or here, and people can give me directions. But, even the exact directions from THIS FORUM about updating my exact device do not work. I am a mac user, and the directions do not apply.

Do not get me wrong, it is a nice enough phone. But, the fact that Samsung, Google, and ATT cannot help me makes this a horrid experience. The maker of the phone, the maker of the software, and the carrier have nothing to say.

That sucks.

PhxBlue

Super Geek
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
i can understand your frustration. I'd be annoyed as well. I choose to root and flash a custom rom tho so my experience is different than yours.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Sure I am. I own a phone, in which the software is created by Google. This software has been released. But, the maker of my PHONE will not update said software. My carrier will not update said software.

If I go to my carrier and ask for technical support, they have none. Literally no help with android at all. No matter the question.

If I go to my phones builder, Samsung, they deny that the update exists, then they say it is not official, then they also tell me that 2.3.7 is not official.

So, I have a device that no one supports the hard ware, I have a device that no one supports the software, and I have a device that well, is great, unless I need some help with it.

So, how does a company choose to use android? Can they? No, not really.

How does any individual get help with a Nexus S, the supposed flagship Android line (the Nexus line), well, you can't.

I can go to an XDA or here, and people can give me directions. But, even the exact directions from THIS FORUM about updating my exact device do not work. I am a mac user, and the directions do not apply.

Do not get me wrong, it is a nice enough phone. But, the fact that Samsung, Google, and ATT cannot help me makes this a horrid experience. The maker of the phone, the maker of the software, and the carrier have nothing to say.

That sucks.

That's understandable. At first I thought you were just saying that you realized you didn't have the newest software and all of a sudden the phone sucked. They definitely should do a better job of support. The main reason I bought a Nexus was because it's unlocked but I think people who don't really want to do so should be given a heads up before they purchase the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87