1 month review of the S5 from an Apple guy......

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
We'll I would like to give the S5 a shot and I thought that coming here on the forum would give me positive thoughts but I'm finding just the opposite. But what I really would like to know is how so many have so much trouble and some who say they have none. Is it just because they left the phone in its stock form with no mods?

But why would u still consider getting a phone that you feel has all these problems? i am a s5 user who has not had any of the issues brought up in this forum.im not rooted and i switch back and forward from stock to a launcher with no problems. My phone works fine. I can't explain why they have the issues they have.

Posted via Android Central App

gsxr800

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
But why would u still consider getting a phone that you feel has all these problems? i am a s5 user who has not had any of the issues brought up in this forum.im not rooted and i switch back and forward from stock to a launcher with no problems. My phone works fine. I can't explain why they have the issues they have.

Because if there is a particular way the phone should be for the least problems I would like to know. If I do decide to try it I'll only have 14 days to make a decision. I feel that's not long enough to really get to know the phone so just trying to give myself the best chances.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Because if there is a particular way the phone should be for the least problems I would like to know. If I do decide to try it I'll only have 14 days to make a decision. I feel that's not long enough to really get to know the phone so just trying to give myself the best chances.
The reason you see more people with issues is because this is an Android forum. People come here to share their experiences with devices, but a user have issues with their device is more likely to share that than someone who isn't. If it was nearly as common as it seems on here, then Samsung would establish a replacement program like Apple did a couple of times with the iPhone 5 :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
We'll I would like to give the S5 a shot and I thought that coming here on the forum would give me positive thoughts but I'm finding just the opposite. But what I really would like to know is how so many have so much trouble and some who say they have none. Is it just because they left the phone in its stock form with no mods?

I never rooted but I have every application I could want from music, Xbox, PlayStation, banking, weather, video, sports, etc. I have no issues what so ever with my S5. I've also never had performance issues with any other Android device I've ever used and I switch a lot because I'm a tech geek.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Resendetra

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity how is it that there are pages of complaints on all those topics and yet you can say you have none of them. How are the rest of these people running into those problems?
I have never had a problem with my phone either and mine is completely stock with no tweaks. Some people have problems and some don't, doesn't matter the product, it's the luck of the draw. It's like when my boyfriend and I both had Galaxy S3's, his lagged constantly and had battery drain issues six months after we got them, and mine didn't.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Active using Tapatalk

sctbc2

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Not my intention to negate the problems some people are having with the s5;
Just want to chime in and say that my experience has been positive.

Excellent battery life: 24-30 hours with 4-5 hours of screen time, phone is not glitchy/laggy , Nova Prime is very fluid/fast. Turned off some apps that I don't use, but I get the battery life despite keeping Bluetooth/WiFi/data on (and I do not use the power saving mode).

Had a brief issue with Bluetooth auto connect with Subaru Outback, but that is now sorted.

Not sure start you mean by not being able to send photos without backing out of camera app.

When I take photos, there is a small icon bottom left corner (while still utilizing Camera app) that shows the most recent picture that I have taken.

If I select the icon, the full size picture is displayed, and I can swipe through pictures (in the order that I have taken them) and am able to send them by email, sms, Bluetooth, post to FB.

Once picture is sent, phone automatically reverts back to full size picture, one touch of the back key puts me back to camera app. (with no glitch or lag issues)

Last edited by a moderator:

FastMoneyPlaya

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I have had my S5 for about 6 weeks and it runs great. I haven't experienced any of the glitches mentioned above. I am running stock, don't use Facebook, but do use Twitter a lot. One thing I do run, which I highly recommend, is Clean Master. It is good at alerting you when too many apps are running and using up all the RAM. If you simply shut down all the open apps every once in a while, that will usually keep the phone running smoothly.

I'm also curious how the former iPhone users find the battery on the S5 compared to their old phones? Mine always last me all day - no problem.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
One thing I do run, which I highly recommend, is Clean Master. It is good at alerting you when too many apps are running and using up all the RAM. If you simply shut down all the open apps every once in a while, that will usually keep the phone running smoothly.

If you're on anything newer than 4.2.2 this is a bad idea.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity how is it that there are pages of complaints on all those topics and yet you can say you have none of them. How are the rest of these people running into those problems?

Well for one I uninstall or "turn off" any bloat from the carrier, Samsung or Google in app settings that I will not use. Second, I def don't use the Facebook app which is very glitchy. I use Nova Launcher. As for the battery I can't really use my phone at work so I am getting 24-30hrs with 4.5-5 hrs on screen.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Not sure start you mean by not being able to send photos without backing out of camera app.

When I take photos, there is a small icon bottom left corner (while still utilizing Camera app) that shows the most recent picture that I have taken.

If I select the icon, the full size picture is displayed, and I can swipe through pictures (in the order that I have taken them) and am able to send them by email, sms, Bluetooth, post to FB.

Once picture is sent, phone automatically reverts back to full size picture, one touch of the back key puts me back to camera app. (with no glitch or lag issues)

I understand how to use the phone. It gives me an error and says it can't complete what I am trying to do.

Another thing I noticed, is when I get shipping notifications via email of things I have ordered (car parts and such) I get a tracking number in the email. On my iPhone, when I clicked the tracking number, it would automatically search the internet for that tracking number giving me its information. On the S5, it tries to call the number with the phone app. Lol. Just a dumb little feature I miss. I now have to copy and paste the number instead of it being one click.

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
For me, there are things I like about the S5 better than an iPhone that made the decision easy for me.

Then again, I love my iPad, and I have no sense of one OS being superior or inferior to the other. Both have their benefits and drawbacks. For me, the right combination is an iOS tablet and an Android phone.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Another thing I noticed, is when I get shipping notifications via email of things I have ordered (car parts and such) I get a tracking number in the email.

Posted via Me

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-30-07-37-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-30-07-37-40.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 47

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Another thing I noticed, is when I get shipping notifications via email of things I have ordered (car parts and such) I get a tracking number in the email.

Posted via Me

Lol. So I have to download another app. Awesome. Thank you. One more thing to drain my battery when it doesn't "close" when I "close all" of my apps.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Lol. So I have to download another app. Awesome. Thank you. One more thing to drain my battery when it doesn't "close" when I "close all" of my apps.

You don't "have to" download anything.
Some of the fun of Android is having access to fantastic applications for any purpose. However, the choice is yours.
And if you learn about Android task management, you'll realize there is absolutely no battery drain when used correctly.
However, suit yourself. Excuse me for trying to help. 😱
Posted via Me

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
You don't "have to" download anything.
Some of the fun of Android is having access to fantastic applications for any purpose. However, the choice is yours.
And if you learn about Android task management, you'll realize there is absolutely no battery drain when used correctly.

Posted via Me

Exactly my point. If I want to have the native features my iPhone had I have to download a ton of apps. If I want the amazing battery life everyone talks about, I have to do research, turn stuff off, know the secret handshake to get in the club to learn how. "When used correctly?" Explain that to me please? Example: I used the PayPal app to check my balance. When I was finished, I went to the app drawer, "closed all apps", and went about my business. 4 days later, I check my battery usage, PayPal was using 20% of my battery. 4 DAYS LATER. I deleted the PayPal app. What did I not do correctly?

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
The fact that you have access to fantastic applications is supposed to be fun, not a drag.
The practice of "closing all apps" actually uses more battery and is an example of not using task management correctly.
As for pay pal, it's very likely that the application is flawed and has nothing to do with Android.

Posted via Me

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
It would be extreme bad luck since this is the 2nd phone directly from Samsung I have received. The first was worse than this one. So what you're telling me is that Samsung made the close all apps button, but didn't intend people to use it to close all of the apps? I'm confused.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko