100% new to smart phone question. Help?

EMTspud

May 16, 2011
Visit site
New to forum. New to smartphones. Just bought a Charge yesterday. Please be gentle :)

I am slowly but surely figuring this thing out. I am fairly computer savvy, but need help with a small thing:

On my old dumbphone (LOL- I like that).... If I missed a text, there was a feature which would remind me every five minutes with an alert tone that there was a text which had not yet been opened. I REALLY miss that. Is that feature available on my Charge?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to reading and learning much more.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
yeah depending on the SMS client (thing that you read text in :) ) there is one called Handcent SMS but to be honest i am not a fan...I will continue checking to see if i can find a better one that supports that feature.. some ROMS will use alternative sms clients that support it i know so you may just have to be a little patient for a good one but i will check around.

nopants

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
There is also an app in the market called NoLED that will add both visual and audio notifications. It's pretty customizable and, while I don't use the audio function, I know it's an option.

EMTspud

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I just D/L'ed NoLED. Seems pretty cool. I would really like an audio reminder as well. Sometimes the phone is in my pocket and I just can't get to the text when it comes in. It would be nice to have the phone beep/buzz me every five minutes to let me know that a message is ready to be opened.

On a side note, THANK YOU for not flaming me. Often times, new guys get hammered on forums. It is refreshing to be among helpful people.

Kudos.

EMTspud

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I feel like an idiot for asking all these seemingly moronic questions, but anyway- I have been called much worse.

I have Go SMS on my home screen- I would like to move it to the bottom of the screen to replace the stock app. Can't seem to move the stock app. Am I screwed?

I can't figure out how to set reminders on Go SMS

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
to replace a bottom launcher icon first click apps then on the top right there is a little gear icon. Click it and you will see boxes form around the icons. You can then drag icons around to remove or add things ot the bottom..

If you cant get it let me know i can do some screenshots

Reactions: EMTspud

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
For reminders, in the go SMS main screen, tap menu then settings. Notifications, default notification settings. Scroll down and enable reminders.

To disable the stock SMS notifications, go to the default SMS app. Menu, settings and uncheck notifications.

Reactions: EMTspud

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I feel like an idiot for asking all these seemingly moronic questions, but anyway- I have been called much worse.

I have Go SMS on my home screen- I would like to move it to the bottom of the screen to replace the stock app. Can't seem to move the stock app. Am I screwed?

I can't figure out how to set reminders on Go SMS

For one, you're not an idiot, and 2, you have to ask questions to learn...I can't even begin to tell you how many questions I had to ask when I got my 1st blackberry, things that now come so easily to me now..some things you can figure out just by playing around a little bit and some things need to be asked..there are so many people here on AC that are more than happy to help you understand your phone, no matter what the question is..

imapepper2#AC

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
For one, you're not an idiot, and 2, you have to ask questions to learn...I can't even begin to tell you how many questions I had to ask when I got my 1st blackberry, things that now come so easily to me now..some things you can figure out just by playing around a little bit and some things need to be asked..there are so many people here on AC that are more than happy to help you understand your phone, no matter what the question is..

I am just going to come out and say it. This community is much more helpful and understanding of newbies than the BlackBerry community.

I just switched to the Charge last night and I am blown away at how helpful this sight is.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am just going to come out and say it. This community is much more helpful and understanding of newbies than the BlackBerry community.

I just switched to the Charge last night and I am blown away at how helpful this sight is.

What he said^ I have found this forum to be really helpful. Even though I am still a noob I respond to questions if i know the answer. Its a small token of thanks for the answers I got that saved me from hrs of frustation. I still ask a lot of questions because I have a lot to learn yet. Remember the only stupid question is the one thats not asked.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Just long press the GoSMS icon until it changes color and then drag it to the bottom row where you want it. It will automatically replace the icon you drop it into.

For GoSMS - Settings>Advanced Tab>Notification Settings>Default notification settings>Scroll down to Reminders

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I too was a n00b, back in the Summer of 2011, I got my first smartphone, the Droid Charge. When I first got it, I used stock (default programs) for everything, as time went on, I got to learn about customization such as "launchers" and "rooting" and "ROMs."

I can tell you right now, don't bother with Touchwiz (Samsung developed home screen). Take a look into Go Launcher EX, Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher EX. I personally use Go Launcher EX and love it. After you find a better replacement launcher, I'd recommend looking into rooting your phone. I avoided doing this for a long time because I was afraid I'd brick my phone and I'd have to pay full price for a new phone, but in the end, nothing bad happened.

Once I put Tweakstock ROM on my phone (a fan-developed operating system), I was so happy with it, and I highly suggest you look into it. One of the most annoying things about running the terrible Samsung/Verizon software is that when you need to reformat your phone (and believe me, a time will indeed come where you'll need to reformat), you can't save anything important outside of your contacts sync'd to your Google account. I've lost game save files and app files etc. multiple times. It won't happen to me anymore though. Rooted users have a peace of mind that OTA (over the air Verizon software) users simply don't have.