2.3? when and if?

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, oddly enough they ARE in the business of SELLING phones. They don't make any money by constantly pushing out updates to old devices.

you are right to some extent...

but the better the support .. the public will see that the phone has value longer. and win more market share and therefore more sales.

oversight

May 14, 2010
Visit site
You know, most people outside these forums actually do hold their phone for the duration of a contract (unless they lose the phone and dont have ins, etc).

So honestly, holding back 2.3 on Evo classic makes no sense. That would be basically saying the Evo 3D is only a marginal upgrade anyway and they need more bullets points on why X consumer needs to upgrade. And also the argument can be made that the true gadgets freaks that would dump their current working phone and pay retail for the next are the types to have been using 2.3 via root+flash.

Most average consumers outside these forums don't really care or obsess about if/when their handset is going to get the next Android update. They are more concerned about whether their device works as it is supposed to. Can they make calls? Does their information sync correctly? Are they getting their email? Can they access the web and other services?

The HTC's and Samsung's of the world make money by selling new hardware, not by pushing out updates to old phones. The EVO had it's time in the spotlight. It received it's OS update to 2.2 along with a handful of smaller updates and fixes. Expecting much beyond that is silly. With few exceptions, few smartphones/pda's have ever received multiple OS updates during the life of the device.

If the EVO gets a GB update, great. If it doesn't, oh well. It's not that big a deal because the EVO is still a great handset.

oversight

May 14, 2010
Visit site
you are right to some extent...

but the better the support .. the public will see that the phone has value longer. and win more market share and therefore more sales.

Sprint and HTC HAVE supported the EVO very well. Since the handset was released last June they have pushed out a major OS update (2.1 to 2.2), along with a number of smaller maintenance releases. I just think that expecting them to perpetually push out major updates to Sense and the OS is unrealistic when their core business is to SELL handsets. The value in the EVO is whether the owner can use it for what they need, not which OS update it receives.

When the EVO 3D is released, I would expect Sprint and HTC to follow the same general pattern. A fairly quick update to 2.4 when it is released, along with a series of smaller updates and fixes. By the time the "I" update is ready, they will be starting to focus on a new round of hardware that is even more sophisticated.

Last edited:

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
it is my opinion.. and you have yours.. that is ok.

there are a lot of phone makers.. trying to sell their products to the same market.

so if one maker has a reputation of keeping their products more update and longer than the others...I would think that maker gets a lot of consideration by that buying market.

not everyone cares about the os updates and what that means.. true enough.
but the 10% that does... are the techies that others turn to for advice to getting tech devices.
and i would guess that the small 10% affects most of the others.

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
English Translation : There wasn't any known SMS bug in either 2.1 or 2.2 versions of updates.( In his recognition)

Gingerbread update won't be available for the OG EVO phones, until the EVO 3D is released in summer of 2011(June)

You guys don't believe me but whatever.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/android-news/51986-poll-have-you-seen-sms-bug.html

Nexus One gets tiny update to Android 2.2.2, fixes SMS routing issues -- Engadget

It used to always happen where I selected a contact in my messaging thread, and it brought up the last thread on the page. I always caught it, but if you don't, it appears you sent the message to the wrong person.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe