My First Samsung

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Believe it or not the 22 Ultra is my first Samsung smart phone - ever. I've had nothing but Motos up to this point (Atrix, all the X's, Edge). It's been a big adjustment but in a good way, since I love playing around with settings, which is why I love Android in the first place. The more stuff I discover on my burgundy beauty the more I really love it. The only thing I can honestly say I truly miss from my Moto is the always on display. Everything else - the reliable Bluetooth connection, beautiful screen, camera etc. - is just so much better.

To be fair I paid a heck of a lot more for this phone than I did my Edge, but I got tired of the mediocre camera. If you want the best camera that means Apple, Google or Samsung. I love my iPad but have never had a yen to get an iPhone. I'm surrounded by a sea of them at work so I know how great they are, but I will always prefer Android.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Samsung! I had a couple of Moto devices in the past, and I liked them too. I think you'll be happy with Samsung even though it's different. Great choice of device for camera.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Believe it or not the 22 Ultra is my first Samsung smart phone - ever. I've had nothing but Motos up to this point (Atrix, all the X's, Edge). It's been a big adjustment but in a good way, since I love playing around with settings, which is why I love Android in the first place. The more stuff I discover on my burgundy beauty the more I really love it. The only thing I can honestly say I truly miss from my Moto is the always on display. Everything else - the reliable Bluetooth connection, beautiful screen, camera etc. - is just so much better.

To be fair I paid a heck of a lot more for this phone than I did my Edge, but I got tired of the mediocre camera. If you want the best camera that means Apple, Google or Samsung. I love my iPad but have never had a yen to get an iPhone. I'm surrounded by a sea of them at work so I know how great they are, but I will always prefer Android.

The S22 has Always on Display. You can even set it to function only to come on when you tap the screen like the MotoScreenshot_20220306-194448_AlwaysOnDisplay.jpg

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The S22 Ultra also offers always-on display. Or do you mean that you prefer the particular AOD on your Moto?

I do have the always on display activated on my S22 but it's not the same as on the Moto. Anyone who's ever had a Moto can appreciate the difference. But it's definitely not a game changer for me when everything else is better on the Samsung.

NationalTrust

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
This is my first Samsung as well (S22+ 512Mb). Coming from 4-5 years with LG. I'm very happy so far. Haven't missed 3.5mm jack or sd card yet. I have BT headphones and have a USB C to 3.5 dongle if I want to use wired headsets.

Last edited:

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
This is my first too! I was all HTC up until the Pixel 4 XL, but I just wasn't digging the design of the Pixel 6 line. So far so good with the Samsung. I do miss pure Android a little bit, but I've been clearing out all of the Samsung bloat to make it run smoothly. I really dig the form factor of the S22+.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

The Atrix was my last Motorola... They promised an update and didn't deliver, a lesson learned.

What about their AOD is special? You might be able to replicate it with good lock.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The Atrix was my last Motorola... They promised an update and didn't deliver, a lesson learned.

What about their AOD is special? You might be able to replicate it with good lock.

Basically all you have to do is move or pick up the Moto and you can see your clock and notifications. You can also see a preview of emails or texts. With the Samsung I have to tap the screen to activate the always on display. Plus I haven't figured out if there's a way to preview stuff without unlocking the phone. It's not a game changer; it's just something I got used to with my many Motos.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Just tried changing to the always on display being always on, which is much better. Thanks for the tip dov1978!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
This is my first Samsung as well (S22+ 256Mb). Coming from 4-5 years with LG. I'm very happy so far. Haven't missed 3.5mm jack or sd card yet. I have BT headphones and have a USB C to 3.5 dongle if I want to use wired headsets.

I'm also coming from a long line of LG phones (LG v60 bring my current) and the S22 ultra 512 will be my first Samsung as well. Fingers crossed.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Prior to my LG G7 I had nothing but Motos; starting with the first droid; ending with the Z-Force model.

From that went to the LG-G7 for a short time, then to a Pixel 4XL; now waiting for a S22U.

However, I had a 22U for a few days (long story), have another on order, and you can set the AOD to show if you have messages, weather temps,

From S22 Owner Manual:

Always On Display

You can view information, such as the clock or calendar, or control music playback on the
screen when it is turned off.

You can also check notifications for new messages or missed calls.

The Always On Display is set to appear only when you tap the screen. To change the settings
to make it appear continuously, during a set time, or when receiving notifications, on the
Settings screen, tap Lock screen → Always On Display, and then select a mode you want.

The brightness of the Always On Display may change automatically depending on the
lighting conditions.

I would suggest if your first Samsung; go to this link and download the owner manual. It helps.

And for functions, head to Youtube look up: Jonathan Casey. The guy has done a lot of S22 how to videos from security and safety to how to use pro mode on the camera and more.

And my Z-force Moto still works, plugged in a clock and still works if a SIM card is installed.

MikeSo

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Same here, the S22 is my first Samsung, after having only had Motorola and OnePlus before - and the same OnePlus for over four years.

Curious to see if I will grow to love it as much as I did my Motorola and OnePlus phones. They both had cool little things that I liked, and so far Samsung feels a bit boring in comparison. Maybe that's why they're the biggest? :)

MikeSo

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I do have the always on display activated on my S22 but it's not the same as on the Moto. Anyone who's ever had a Moto can appreciate the difference. But it's definitely not a game changer for me when everything else is better on the Samsung.
My Motorola had a sensor so you got the notifications and time just by moving your hand above it. That was a nice little feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali