3G data super slow?

tmogx2

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Lancater PA 4G

We actually do a couple different Prepaids.
I was on Route 30 merging onto 222 north when I hit 5000mbs in lancaster.

I did take a trip to Reading PA yesterday and had very good High Speed Coverage. It was 3G but it was solid.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Old thread but worth replying to, since I moved to this area.

T-Mobile's coverage is terrible and the only places you'll really get great coverage, aren't really places where you'll be all the time. I get over 3mbps in the SPRINT store, and at Wal Mart near Giant, but I get 250k in my apartment and basically all of Downtown Lancaster, or anywhere in the general vacinity. It's basically full 3G signal, but you get EDGE speeds. The upload speed, however, is like 1-1.2 Mbps, oddly.

Keep in mind I only live one mile from that Sprint Store... Yet I only get EDGE speeds (but with a 3G icon, marvelous!).

So I'm selling all my T-Mobile phones and switching to AT&T next month. Just got rid of my Vibrant this morning. The HD7 is next. I'm going to AT&T. Lots of people say "whaaa too expensive" but when your data speeds are that terrible you realize some things are worth paying... a lot ... for.

And I will hapily let AT&T raid my wallet for decent HSPA+ speeds.

T-Mobile's 3G speeds are basically crap in the entire major areas of Lancaster City, including downtown. You're basically on Edge if you have this carrier here and live (and especially work) in the city. I'm not going to the highway to get decent speeds. I want it in my living room and with Unlimited Data (or 5GB) I shouldn't have to be tethered to my WiFi connection just to surf the internet decently...

gggplaya

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Old thread but worth replying to, since I moved to this area.

T-Mobile's coverage is terrible and the only places you'll really get great coverage, aren't really places where you'll be all the time. I get over 3mbps in the SPRINT store, and at Wal Mart near Giant, but I get 250k in my apartment and basically all of Downtown Lancaster, or anywhere in the general vacinity. It's basically full 3G signal, but you get EDGE speeds. The upload speed, however, is like 1-1.2 Mbps, oddly.

Keep in mind I only live one mile from that Sprint Store... Yet I only get EDGE speeds (but with a 3G icon, marvelous!).

So I'm selling all my T-Mobile phones and switching to AT&T next month. Just got rid of my Vibrant this morning. The HD7 is next. I'm going to AT&T. Lots of people say "whaaa too expensive" but when your data speeds are that terrible you realize some things are worth paying... a lot ... for.

And I will hapily let AT&T raid my wallet for decent HSPA+ speeds.

T-Mobile's 3G speeds are basically crap in the entire major areas of Lancaster City, including downtown. You're basically on Edge if you have this carrier here and live (and especially work) in the city. I'm not going to the highway to get decent speeds. I want it in my living room and with Unlimited Data (or 5GB) I shouldn't have to be tethered to my WiFi connection just to surf the internet decently...

Tmobile oversold it's connection at that tower, that's why the downloads speeds are so slow and the uploads are so high. It's very capable signal and connections, just a poor internet pipe from the tower to the world wide web.

Sprint has great 4G coverage in lancaster, it's the same as the Clearwire service offered heavily in lancaster. Clearwire uses sprint towers, in return sprint uses their 4G connection. I can get 6-8Mbps while sitting in the Brickyard. It's bloody fast, like cable internet a few years ago. Sprint Iphone doesn't have 4G, you'll have to get an android if you want those speeds. I also get 4G coverage at my house in East Petersburg too, just not in the basement. But neither does any carrier in my basement.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I travel too much to depend on WiMax for decent internet speeds. I'd discount LTE for the same reasons. I'm really only interested in a GSM carrier with at least HSPA+ 14.4 deployed that isn't T-Mobile, and that only leaves me with one choice in this country :p

gggplaya

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I travel too much to depend on WiMax for decent internet speeds. I'd discount LTE for the same reasons. I'm really only interested in a GSM carrier with at least HSPA+ 14.4 deployed that isn't T-Mobile, and that only leaves me with one choice in this country :p

I also travel alot. 4-5 months out of the year. I've been all over the U.S. and western/central europe. I used to have an ATT aircard, but their coverage in the midwest was total crap. I convinced my boss to switch me over to a verizon aircard, and while it didn't have the higher peak speeds in major cities that ATT had. It at least consistently gave me speeds above edge speed. The total coverage of Verizon is way better, but ATT has higher peak speeds in certain areas.

I have sprint for my personal phone, the 3G data is like ATT when not in a major city. But Wimax is in every major city and it's fast. I was watching netflix in HD tethered to my laptop at the Atlanta airport last month, pretty awsome. Good luck with that 2GB data cap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali