3G data super slow?

gggplaya

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Data on my new phone is faily slow. I live in Lancaster PA zip code 17601 which is mild to densely populated and every other carrier is super fast. Verizon i consistantly get over 1mbps, att i can get about 3-4mpbs on my brothers iphone 4g, and sprint which i had before this i can get over 1mpbs and up to 8mpbs when i switch to 4g on my epic.

But i switch to tmobile to get this phone in particular and i got 500k at best with a great signal outside my house? Typically its 100-200k at best with a good signal and for some reason my upload speed is higher at about 362kpbs?????

I also think it's stupid how tmobile labels it as switching from 2g to 4g with no intermediate 3g in between. Even at 3g my data speeds are typically 2g, and at 2g my internet almost doesn't work at all at 9kpbs.

Is tmobiles data network that crappy? Or is there something wrong with my phone? The coverage map says i should have 3g data at my house and 4g down the street 5 mins. I can't get good data at all anywhere around my area it seems?

I just got this phone and have no mods and just proven popular apps so far. Only a couple, and have owned 3 android phones before this.

r3g

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Data speeds depends on a lot of things such as location, how many people are using the network at any given time, signal strength, etc. You could be getting slow speed because of any one of those things. It has always been fast for me here in California but because of those factors data speed will always be slower or faster depending on where you are.

gggplaya

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I travel all over the country to very rural areas and have been using sprint and smartphones for the last 6 or so years. From palm treo to 2 windows mobile phones, to 3 android phones. Sprint has been pretty speedy everywhere i have signal.

T mobile has been in my area for years, and this is not a rural area. It's showing good 3g coverage and 4g coverage in my area. But i never seem to get more than what 2g edge is capable of. It's almost as if they capped my speed or are limiting it for some reason. I may go to a tmobile store and try out some of their other phones to see how fast they are. It's just hard for me to believe the data is this slow in my area. I can believe for some of the places i travel, but not here so close to philly and having such large cities here all within a small radius.

r3g

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The network in your area could be congested. Or your phone may not be communication with the towers properly. I'd give tmo a call and see what they can do about it.

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep me too, this phone suffers with mid to low connections. Even my phone connection would disconnect in my home. I had never had any issue with any phone ever before. Ive used Metropcs, Virgin mobile, Verizen and Sprint and no problems only with this phone and Tmobile. Unfortunetly my G2x went back for a refund before my 14 days went by. I will wait 1-2 months then check it out maybe, but by then we will have the Sprint LG 3D and the Verizon Bionic and who nows what other dual core phones. LG and Tmobile dropped the ball on such a sweet phone. I loved my G2x and it hurt to return it.

r3g

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I never saw a 3G icon on either phone, only 2G or 4G.

And none of us ever will. T-Mobile's "4g" is just an upgraded version of 3g so the icon will read 4g in HSPA and HSPA+ areas. I really dont see what people are so bothered by this.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is that there is currently no way for Android to tell the difference between HSPA and HSPA+. Until we see an update to the OS we will be stuck with 2G and 4G icons.

gggplaya

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
last night i noticed i get much better reception with it standing straight up in my hand then laying on a table at the same height. I think LG may have poorly designed the antenna in this unit and it gets really awful reception.

But last night with it laying down i got a speed test of 125kbps. Then stood it straight up at the same height in a second floor bedroom and was finally able to get 4g 5000kpbs. It just sucks that the reception of this phone sucks. I may have to send it back and switch to another carrier or phone. I'm losing complete signal all over my work building where people with att, verizon, and sprint all have reception.

I like their plans, but this is not acceptable for me to use as a cell phone. Feels like i have my old nokia 5165 again with the interchangeable faceplates back in the late 90s, that's what the reception feels like with tmobile in 2011.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
last night i noticed i get much better reception with it standing straight up in my hand then laying on a table at the same height. I think LG may have poorly designed the antenna in this unit and it gets really awful reception.

But last night with it laying down i got a speed test of 125kbps. Then stood it straight up at the same height in a second floor bedroom and was finally able to get 4g 5000kpbs. It just sucks that the reception of this phone sucks. I may have to send it back and switch to another carrier or phone. I'm losing complete signal all over my work building where people with att, verizon, and sprint all have reception.

I like their plans, but this is not acceptable for me to use as a cell phone. Feels like i have my old nokia 5165 again with the interchangeable faceplates back in the late 90s, that's what the reception feels like with tmobile in 2011.

Okay, first of all, did you even bother to check your coverage maps? Your zip code is only partially covered by T-mobile's HSPA+ network. The rest of it is '4G available' which means you may or may not have 4G signal. (but more likely than not, you won't) And by far the majority of t-mobile's network in your area is 3G, which is significantly slower. (and is the reason for some of the speeds you're seeing)

So the issue isn't with the phone, its with the coverage in your area. Those slow speeds you're seeing? Those are t-mobile's 3G speeds. Usually somewhere between 500kbps and 1500. It isn't an issue with the phone, and it isn't an issue with the network; t-mobile does not have significant 4G coverage in your area.

Now you have to make a choice; whether you can live with the slower speeds for now. If you decide not to, do yourself a favor and actually check the coverage maps of the other carriers this time so you know what you're getting yourself into.

gggplaya

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay, first of all, did you even bother to check your coverage maps? Your zip code is only partially covered by T-mobile's HSPA+ network. The rest of it is '4G available' which means you may or may not have 4G signal. (but more likely than not, you won't) And by far the majority of t-mobile's network in your area is 3G, which is significantly slower. (and is the reason for some of the speeds you're seeing)

So the issue isn't with the phone, its with the coverage in your area. Those slow speeds you're seeing? Those are t-mobile's 3G speeds. Usually somewhere between 500kbps and 1500. It isn't an issue with the phone, and it isn't an issue with the network; t-mobile does not have significant 4G coverage in your area.

Now you have to make a choice; whether you can live with the slower speeds for now. If you decide not to, do yourself a favor and actually check the coverage maps of the other carriers this time so you know what you're getting yourself into.

Actually I did check the coverage maps before making my purchase. It showed very good 3g coverage in my area and some 4g. Also shows voice coverage is all over my area but it doesn't tell you where the towers are. It also showed 3g all over my area including my job and 4g at my house as well. As i am typing this as the phone sits at my desk, the signal is 2-3 bars, then through out the day i've noticed will intermittently lose signal and give me an x. Does that all day and worse as i walk around the building at work too. Doesn't do that with anyone elses phones, not my verizon company phone, nor my old sprint phone or coworkers att phones. I figure i should at least get voice coverage to hold all day long, i should expect at least that. Also, i don't even get 3g data speeds, it's faster and more consistent when i set it to do 2g only data. I at least get over 100k with that. Most of the time the so-called 3g in my area is dirt slow, no faster than 56k dial up. According to the coverage map 3g coverage is good, so i dn't know why it sucks most of the time. I'm used to sprint and verizon aircard service all over the country and in my area. Even with 1 bar my sprint phone gets at least 350kbps, same with verizon. I'm just used to faster data all the time, whereas data doesn't work alot on the G2X at all, and if it does it's slow.

I also did notice that if i prop my phone up the reception is much better and holds better. I haven't had to do that with any other smartphone i own, kind of odd, but leads me to believe there is an issue with the antenna design for this phone.

I love this phone, but i think i may return it.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Everybody needs to calm down. Let's keep this civil. Nobody is where gggplaya is except for him (or her). So they are the only person that can comment on REAL coverage and not how T-Mobile says it is.

I would be curious to know what other T-Mobile phones do in the same area. Some people have had much better luck with the myTouch 4G for reception.

I have good coverage so I haven't noticed any issues.

tmogx2

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I am also from the Lancaster PA area. The folks in The Lancaster Tmo store claim that the Park City Mall tower is overloaded and technicians are working on it.
I just signed up with Tmo myself and have a GX2.
All around I get 3g like speeds that are labeled 4g. I also dont understand since 4g is supposed to be 4-8GBS. Instead I get about 300-700kps.
I had a Thunderbolt with Verizon which was fast and always connected.
However it was expensive and I find the Lancaster & Reading Tmobile folks to be kind, workable & inexpensive.
I wish T mobile the best and hope they do some definite checking into what is wrong with the Lancaster/ Ephrata 4G network.

gggplaya

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I switched back to sprint and my epic 4g. I get 4g coverage throughout most of lancaster like the brickyard, park city, and around town, and get about 4mpbs at my house in the neffsville area. Tmobile and sprint are priced to compete, so if you just got the phone, you have 14 days to cancel without a fee. Sprint launches their dual core EVO 3d on june 24th.

most importantly i get 3g coverage anywhere i have signal in this area. I travel all over the county all the way down to oxford and up to ephrata, to new holland, and over to york. I get 3g everywhere, just like verizon. With Tmobile, you'll see that edge symbol alot.

tmogx2

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes I do get a lot of 2G areas. I want to try and negotiate with T mobile and see if I can get a really cheap plan like some have.
Then I may be able tp put up with the inconsistent connection. Voice is definately OK.

My other option is Pageplus or something similar.

gggplaya

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't go with page plus if you wanted a smartphone. Get boost mobile or virgin mobile in our area. Both are pretty cheap for unlimited talk, text and data. Both run on sprints network btw, which is excellent in our area. I also travel all over the country for my job as well, i've been to even some of the most remote places in the south and midwest, towns with populations of under 1000 people. Sprint's nationwide coverage is actually pretty good. Verizon is best in the midwest, and ATT is best down south. All three is great near cities with a decent population.

Trust me, i didn't want verizon or ATT due to price, so i researched all the alternatives already. Tmobile, sprint for post paid plans. Virgin or Boost for prepaid. Except the phones suck, but you can score a LG optimus S or Samsung intercept for about $100 on craiglist.

tmogx2

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree Boost Mobile & Virgin Mobile really have a strong product. I am actually signed up as a dealer for them now & am working on a Tmobile sub-dealer account.

2G Speeds Lancaster, PA
ping 444ms
33 kps Down
152 kps up

At time as much as 240 down.

Ok just got 135kps which is enough to download a webpage.

gggplaya

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
That's basically double a 56k modem. But considering how rich the content is on webpages these days, that's not enough for me to surf the web, just check emails and that's it.

With sprint or verizon, my internet is never that slow, only in the most rural parts of lancaster county. I'm from the Solanco area, and it's not even that bad when i go to visit my old friends. Usually 300k-400k at it's worst.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree Boost Mobile & Virgin Mobile really have a strong product. I am actually signed up as a dealer for them now & am working on a Tmobile sub-dealer account.

2G Speeds Lancaster, PA
ping 444ms
33 kps Down
152 kps up

At time as much as 240 down.

Ok just got 135kps which is enough to download a webpage.

Hmmm.....t-mo dealer eh? :)

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindaoliver