45 Watt charging is just a number

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Like many of you I am Ultra excited to get my new device. Since I ordered a custom color I know my wait will be long so to pass the time I've been watching as many videos on the S22 series, mostly the Ultra, as there are being released. I don't care for the camera videos too much because most of the images look the same to me on screen. With the announcement of 45 Watt charging though I've found a new category of video, the charging comparison, which has lead to some new discoveries. Like did you know that OnePlus has an 80 Watt charger? Yeah neither did I.

Which brings me to the title of this thread. I thought if 25 Watts was fast 45 Watts would be ridiculously fast. I mean it's almost double, right. Well imagine my disappointment when 45 Watt charging is only 12 minutes faster than 25 Watt charging. Yeah you read that right. I've watched about 3 videos now and in the first one I watched the difference was like 3 or 4 minutes. I couldn't believe it so I went looking for another. I found the one attached in this thread. The difference being that the vlogger specifically mentions that not only do they have a 45 Watt charger but they also have the thicker cable recommended to be used with it. This all sounded promising and I thought that is the key, but 45 Watts ended up only being 12 minutes faster than 25 Watt charging.

In both videos the S22 Ultra failed to reach 50% by 20 minutes, which is what they claim, but only by a few percentage points each time. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 44%. Even so 44% after 20 minutes still works out to a full charge at around 50 minutes. The charging cycle really must slow down as it approaches a full charge, which most of us know and expect, but a mere difference of 12 minutes is very unexpected. The vlogger even states that they performed the test multiple times with similar results.

So what do you think?

https://youtu.be/kPQ9MB79kaQ

NationalTrust

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
I'm rarely in that big of a hurry. I prefer to charge wirelessly overnight to avoid plugging the cable in a billion times over the life of the phone.
25 watts is plenty for me.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, after about 40% it doesn't make a difference, it was the same on the Note 20U.

Oneplus got nothing, a friend of mine has a xiaomi phone with 120 watt lol.

I charge at 9W personally.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, after about 40% it doesn't make a difference, it was the same on the Note 20U.

Oneplus got nothing, a friend of mine has a xiaomi phone with 120 watt lol.

I charge at 9W personally.
120w is crazy lol
I have my One Plus 7 mclaren forget what watt it is but it fastest I have

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't buy the 45 watt charger. I've found 25 watt is fast enough and the 45 watt is over rated and limited in what it can do. As you say, it's just a number.
I wouldn't have bought the 45w charger either, but it was worthwhile as a free accessory and something that I'll have when I need fast charge.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I tried the fast charger yesterday when I set up my S22 Ultra. It worked OK, but I mostly plan to use the 25w charger at night when I go to bed.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't have bought the 45w charger either, but it was worthwhile as a free accessory and something that I'll have when I need fast charge.
That's how I got mine on one of my phones. I don't even know where it is right now, it didn't improve that much, I stopped using it. The 25 watt is smaller easier to carry. . I will also add that I would not waste your promo money on it. Just my opinion

Last edited:

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
I bought the 45w on Amazon from Samsung before I heard it was the older version. I assume it will work just fine or should I send it back and get an Anker Nano II 65w one? I will have the s22 ultra and s8 tab ultra to charge. Probably be better with a dual purpose one.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought the 45w on Amazon from Samsung before I heard it was the older version. I assume it will work just fine or should I send it back and get an Anker Nano II 65w one? I will have the s22 ultra and s8 tab ultra to charge. Probably be better with a dual purpose one.
@nizmo44: since samsung provided no details on these 45-watt chargers, no one knows yet!

until we have both of the 45-watt chargers and at least have the benefit of reading the tiny font print on the transformers by the plug, we wouldn't know.

i can't figure out why samsung would provided no details on these on their site! weird.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Yep, and plan to use it when I travel only really. I have a wireless dock at work and one at home to charge overnight.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That's how I got mine on one of my phones. I don't even know where it is right now, it didn't improve that much, I stopped using it. The 25 watt is smaller easier to carry. . I will also add that I would not waste your promo money on it. Just my opinion
I got a wireless charger and two cases as well. There wasn't anything else that I wanted, since I don't like earbuds, so I didn't want to waste my free offers.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I actually got my phone early and still waiting on my 45 watt charger but the 25 watt charger I presently have seems good enough I charged from 20% to 98% this morning in about 50 minutes or so

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if I would return the Samsung charger, but this Spigen charger is smaller, less expensive, prongs fold in, and it charges my Tab S7+ at 45W. I got it based on Flossy's recommendation in his Tab S7+ review.

USB C Charger, Spigen [GaN Fast] 45W Super Fast Charger, PPS Charging, Type C Charger for Galaxy S22 Ultra Plus S21 FE Z Fold 3 Flip 3 S20 Note 20 Pixel 6 Pro Tab S7 iPad(Cable Included/Foldable Plug) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PSR4R3...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU7040074

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I almost picked up the 45w charger as part off my Samsung cash offer. The only thing that stopped me was not pulling the trigger that time I had it in the cart. When I went back it wasn't in the line up. I tried refreshing multiple times but it never came back. I ended up checking out without any accessories because what I really wanted was Samsung tags and they weren't offered this time. I've got my eye on the 3 pack.

Anyway I'm not upset that I didn't get the charger especially after seeing that it's not much faster. Besides in the long run it's probably better for the battery to use a lower wattage.