45 Watt charging is just a number

MikeSo

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I watched the videos before buying too, and concluded that the higher charging speeds on the + and Ultra were only on paper. Disappointing.
Don't know why Samsung continues to be five years behind the Chinese phone makers when it comes to charging.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I watched the videos before buying too, and concluded that the higher charging speeds on the + and Ultra were only on paper. Disappointing.
Don't know why Samsung continues to be five years behind the Chinese phone makers when it comes to charging.
Note 7 disaster comes to mind. That cost Samsung around 20 million dollars.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It's been a long time since then. And they make $20M in a week.

They'll lose far most than $20 million if their phones start catching fire again. Their reputation would never recover.

Besides, there is some debate as to the long term effects on the battery from these blazing fast speeds. Apple and Samsung both air on the side of caution.

MikeSo

May 15, 2014
Visit site
They'll lose far most than $20 million if their phones start catching fire again. Their reputation would never recover.

Besides, there is some debate as to the long term effects on the battery from these blazing fast speeds. Apple and Samsung both air on the side of caution.

Now your username makes sense ;) :D

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I used the 25w charger not my 45w yet and have battery set to charge at 85% from 20% to 85% was like done in 25 minutes ..

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I think 12 minutes was on the range of charge time difference between 25w and 45w charging on the Note 10 Ultra from what I recall so this appears to be about right.

I bought a 45 watt charger when I had the N10 Ultra. The biggest plus was really just that it can charge my Elecjet Portable battery at 45 watts. Though, it's my gf that uses the battery most often to charge her iphone. I rarely run out of battery and I got the Samsung wireless portable battery with my Note 20 Ultra, so I don't use the Elecjet battery often. It's possible I could use it for other devices as well, so having a 45 watt charger isn't necessarily a bad thing as more and more devices are going to be using USB-C. In fact, I picked a Square Terminal for my business last night and saw the included charger was 45 watts. Rather than plug it into the included charger, I used the Samsung 45 watt charger and it charged up fairly quickly. I've also used my Elecjet battery to power my work laptop. I can conceive just taking the Samsung charger with me and be able to charge up my phone or my work laptop without having to pack so many chargers. If anything, it would offer flexibility...

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I agree, this is what I came up with regarding the 25w, the 2019 45w and now the brand new 2022 45w. Very disappointed in the lies from Samsung on this.

Attachments

• 11006.jpg
    11006.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 75

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
...Very disappointed in the lies from Samsung on this.

It's kind of like the push to get people poked... No one from Samsung officially came out and said that it would be faster than 25Watt charging. Some took it upon themselves to assume that since 25watt is faster than 5watt charging that 45watt must be much faster than 25watt. Big pharma never said that getting jabbed would stop, prevent or slow the spread just that would minimize symptoms. Then like the mainstream media, vloggers and reviewers took the little information, without verifying, and started pushing that 45watts was going to be some blazing fast speeds. Which it is fast from 5% to 50% but after 50% it gets throttled to protect the battery and the device and only after some testing are we finding this out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I used the 25w charger not my 45w yet and have battery set to charge at 85% from 20% to 85% was like done in 25 minutes ..
This is another of those Samsung threads that comes out with every phone release I think dating back to the Note 10. The phone controls the rate of charge and the 45 watt charger only makes a difference on the front half of the charge cycle if the battery is really low.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This is another of those Samsung threads that comes out with every phone release I think dating back to the Note 10. The phone controls the rate of charge and the 45 watt charger only makes a difference on the front half of the charge cycle if the battery is really low.
And this should end this discussion, but it won't.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Your right lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I've said this elsewhere and I may be totally wrong, but I wonder if the stigma attached to the Note line after the Note 7 fiasco factored into the decision among other things to drop the Note name.