4G LTE data speeds very slow especially the up speed

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6 on the at&t network and for the pass 3 weeks I am able to hear people during a call, but they can't hear me. I got a phone replacement thinking it might of been an issue with my phone, but with the replacement phone I'm experiencing the same.

I called att and they said there are no outages in my area Piscataway, NJ. Also while on the phone with support I tried disabling the HD voice over LTE and that fixes the issue. I do speed tests and only get around 0.8mbps - 3mbps down, but for upload it either fails and says there was a network issue or I only get 0.01mbps up speed. I tested with speedtest.net android app.

Turns out bc HD voice over LTE uses the cellular data to receive and make calls and my upload speed is so bad that people can't hear me.

I used to get anywhere from 6-14mbps down and 4-10 mbps upload speeds in my area. What else can I do since att has told me they have seen issues with HD voice, but the issue is really the slow up speed. They basically said nothing else they can do for me. Does this mean I might need to switch carriers?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Posted via the Android Central App

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
No same speeds. Looks like it's just in my area. If I drive away for like 2 miles it's good connection I got 24 down and 8 up. So for some reason it seems like something changed in my neighborhood. This sucks as att said they are not seeing outages.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've done tons of testing already. Yeah maybe I can send them screen shot, but they basically told me they don't see any outages and made it seem like I'm out of luck. Very weird. Thanks for your feedback.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Also consider that the folks you can talk to via phone or in the store have pretty much nothing to do with maintaining the infrastructure. While it is remotely possible they have heard some things or might have friends that work the infrastructure, don't count on getting valid info or news from them. Almost like talking new models or Android updates - customers frequently know more than they do - and they are certainly discouraged from rumor mongering. Unfortunately, carriers don't seem to provide a way for customers to report coverage issues and ensure that info gets to the infrastructure team to investigate. If carriers were smart, phones would constantly report location and signal strength, anonymize the data, and flag coverage issues.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I've done tons of testing already. Yeah maybe I can send them screen shot, but they basically told me they don't see any outages and made it seem like I'm out of luck. Very weird. Thanks for your feedback.

What do other AT&T phones around you experience, particularly S6's?

Legendary Crusader

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Switch to T-Mobile they are better faster cheaper.

This kind of bulldrek helps nobody. Hawk your pet carrier in the carrier forums. Two things about the other responses, yes the customer service reps will know about outages, and yes they will admit to it. Thinking they don't know or won't tell, please don't call customer service ever, because that kind of attitude is what makes a customer service rep want to choke someone with their phone cord. Keep in mind which departments handle which responsibilities. Don't ask someone in billing if there is an outage. Ask someone in tech care. Etc.

As to the OP's issue, see if you can have them deactivate HD voice on that line for a little while instead of doing it on your phone. Then you will still have LTE but not simultaneous voice and data. It's what Verizon would do and their network/tech care is comparable to AT&T's for that kind of issue.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
So yeah I did speak to an engineer. They scheduled a back call with me and my original post was the results of that call.

This has been going on for almost a month and if indeed it was an outage I would assume at least hope it would have been fixed by now. I used to get such good service too.

I'm gonna test with my in-laws mobile devices they both have att phones as well. My wife is on verizon so I can't test with her phone. Thanks everyone for your feedback.