5.1.1 update for the D6603

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi, anyone know when and if the D6603 (Z3) will be getting Android the OTA 5.1.1 update. At the moment the device isn't listed on any website I've come across. Anyone got any news?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Lu99ke

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Yup... Already some full firmwares available for 6603 variants on xperifirm.... France , Germany, Nordic...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

htc0076969

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Only overseas models ya wish it was here for the D6616 experia z3 lollipop 5.0.2 sucks my brothers had the z3

Posted via the Android Central App via..nexus 6 / Samsung note 4 edge

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I really hope T-Mobile doesn't make us wait another couple months for the update like they did the last time.smh This is what I dislike about Android. Updates are not only different between models but also by carrier which is annoying.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I really hope T-Mobile doesn't make us wait another couple months for the update like they did the last time.smh This is what I dislike about Android. Updates are not only different between models but also by carrier which is annoying.

The only platform that doesn't suffer with this nonsense is iOS and only them.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The only platform that doesn't suffer with this nonsense is iOS and only them.
Yes and one of the remaining perks of switching to Apple which I'm considering. Holding out until the Microsoft flagship announcement to make that decision. But it is irritating to literally have the same device as someone else but be stuck waiting on your carrier to update it.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
And from what I have gathered from asking around is that Sony has still elected not to include the Camera2 APIs with this update(although it may vary for the T-Mobile specific version). How Sony can continue to ignore this feature despite what competitors like Samsung and LG are doing with mobile photography is beyond me. It's this lack of effort despite the many users who voiced their support for getting these features that has really begun the countdown to me getting rid of this phone now. I wouldn't have switched to Android in the first place if the Camera2 API were not available and I thought the OEMs would have a say in whether or not to include them.

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I just researched the 5.0 rollout and it looks like the nordic countries got it first and the US got it two weeks later on the D6603 model.

Posted via the Android Central App

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes and one of the remaining perks of switching to Apple which I'm considering. Holding out until the Microsoft flagship announcement to make that decision. But it is irritating to literally have the same device as someone else but be stuck waiting on your carrier to update it.

That's why I buy unlocked now. I'll never buy another carrier phone. I'd rather wait 6 months for the cost to drop and buy the phone I want than get a carrier locked phone.

As for updates from OEMS some are better than others. A smartphone is only good for you as long as it does what you need it to do. I tend to think of phones as ~2 years. Looking at it from an ROI perspective that's less than £1/day of use depending on the cost of the device. That's not too bad really. If you can wait a month or two from a release you can normally get the phone for a lot less if you shop around.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
True and valid points but it's easier for me to get the phone I want through T-Mobile for $20 something a month than trying to buy unlocked cause most flagships will still be well into the $500-600 and up range even months after release and if you want an iPhone you can expect to spend a lot more. With having a family and enough gadgets besides my phone I can't justify spending that amount of money at one time versus spreading the cost over the course of two years or sooner if I decide to pay it off quicker or get another phone after half the device is paid off which I'll be doing this November. In my case I will have paid essentially $300 for a brand new phone which I'll return for a new one.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
UK here, have the 5.1.1 update. I'm very pleased so far. Haven't had time to play with the camera yet but I will be doing that soon enough. :)

teletraan1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
One thing I don't like: the change to the sound profile quick settings. Before it was one touch to toggle between normal (sound) and vibrate. Now it requires an extra click as it goes through the silent option (never use that) as well. It's a nitpick and completely personal preference but noticeable to me as I change sound profiles daily when going to work.

On the positive side: you no longer need to hit enter after your lock code on the lock screen. That is definitely a welcome change as I unlock my phone countless times throughout the day.

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
On the positive side: you no longer need to hit enter after your lock code on the lock screen. That is definitely a welcome change as I unlock my phone countless times throughout the day.

Have you played with the Smart Lock options? I recently started using it. If the phone is in my pocket, it doesn't lock, but if I put it down on a table, it locks right away.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Have you played with the Smart Lock options? I recently started using it. If the phone is in my pocket, it doesn't lock, but if I put it down on a table, it locks right away.

If my phone is in my pocket unlocked it does all kinds I wonderful things. Start apps, tries calling some weird number, etc.

I prefer my phone locked all the time. I use double tap awake to look at the clock and I use Heads Up notification app to wake my phone so I can decide if I need to action the notification. So much simpler.

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, mine's unlocked! I never get contract phones, and I bought it for the camera and the sound quality, but it's starting to anoy me. All these tiny variations D6603, D????... It's frustrating, and TBH it's holding back Android as a serious OS. What's the real point of having all these stupid little variants. If Google want Android to be taken seriously they need to get past all this role out stupidity for OS updates...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
UK here, have the 5.1.1 update. I'm very pleased so far. Haven't had time to play with the camera yet but I will be doing that soon enough. :)
Let me know if the Camera2 APIs are there or not. I've heard that they weren't and that is a real shame. But I'm not sure if it's region specific or not.