6P Camera - Not THAT Impressed?

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P Camera Performance

Here's what I was referring to as far as the flash goes - lights up the object ok (sometimes not even that) and the rest of the area is so much darker. Both are in decently lit areas:

IMG_20151118_183750_zpstubbde4y.jpg

IMG_20151118_183754_zpsxrguex8s.jpg

and:

IMG_20151123_192834_zpshcctxkpv.jpg

IMG_20151123_192840_zpsyrqy2pwp.jpg

IDK if this is considered normal or not, but previous phones (OPO & N5) lit up a good portion of the background in addition to the foreground, much more so than the 6P - some flash shots are practically unusable, where barely the object is lit up as well. All were tapped to focus on the object.

Why this matters: I take a lot of pics of the car (i.e., suspension parts) when I'm working on it and context is crucially important. This effect is exacerbated at night in the dark compared to a lit room.

Last edited:

anon(30235)

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
After reading all the reports of how good this camera was - i.e., almost as good as S6? I was seriously stoked to use this guy. And while it's better than the Nexus 5 and the OnePlus One's camera that I used to have, IMO it falls way short of the S6's... like way short.

It probably doesn't help that I was using my girlfriend's S6 the week before my 6P arrived, but that camera is amazingly good - like better than my point and shoot good... The 6P's camera takes decent pictures, but they are nowhere near the quality of the S6's.

Any settings I need to change to get the camera working a little better? And by that I mean, it looks pretty good, but when you move in, the detail is nowhere near as fine as the shot taken by the S6. Thoughts/ideas?
I came to my Nexus 6P from a Galaxy S6. I like the camera on both phones. Here's a picture that I took from work last night. Not to bad considering that I was right against a window.
2a49048df15c5266945f14e6fbd6f310.jpg

krabby

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Personally I don't give a crap about what some website says a pro can do with a camera, I'm not a pro and I'm not going to be anytime soon or more likely, ever. I want to pull out my phone and end up with a reasonable exposed and in focus picture without thinking about it for one second, push the button, the end. I also had my S6 along side my 6P and there is no question that the S6 does better at getting good pictures of fast moving objects called grand children. Not huge but definitely better. They're more likely to be in focus and more likely not to be under or over exposed. Other than the "snap shot" scenario I don't have any downs on the 6P camera compared to the S6, it's pretty solid in my opinion and the software is simple and easy to use. While I would disagree that its playing on par with the S6 camera its certainly hitting in the same ballpark and good enough for me.

jonclegg

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P Camera Performance

My problem with the 6p's camera wasn't the photo quality, it's what I had to do to get a photo. First off, the camera doesn't open that quickly all the time, if it needs to free up some RAM it can take a bit. 2nd there is often over a 500ms shutter lag; the time from when you press the button and the camera actually takes a photo.

But those aren't the biggest problems. The biggest is that the autofocus is dumb, it just picks a point in the middle of the view, it doesn't search for faces, it sometimes doesn't even pick objects in the foreground, this requires me to pick the focus point. Last, the auto HDR mode creates a large lag between taking multiple photos, sure i could turn off HDR, but then the low light performance and dynamic range are pretty poor.

I have gotten really great photos out of the camera, it's sharp, has good balance, dynamic range, overall the hardware is really good, but when a moment comes up with the grandparents and my newborn i want to take the phone out of my pocket and capture it, and with the 6p i missed quite a few.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
My 6P cannot take photos of checks of sufficient quality for them to be accepted for deposit in my banking account. It does not work with the bank's auto mode or manual. I have had no issues using any other phone. In fact, the LG V10 worked first try with the same checks and the same lighting, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024