A book case cover allowing you to flip over the front cover entirely but still record a video?

Mike994

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
When flipping over the front cover of a book case cover entirely (180 degrees) it will cover the camera. Taking photos or recording videos is impossible then.

Holding the smartphone with a half open book case cover whilst recording is less stable.
With a back cover the user can firmly hold the smartphone.

AFAIK there are no book case covers with the front cover being identical to the back cover, so, when front cover is flipped entirely, users can hold the smartphone in the same way as a back cover, but the front cover does not cover the camera.
I.e. users can can record videos and/or take photos the same way as with a back cover.

Is this a strange idea then?

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There are plethora of bookcover cases (granted, most are for tablets) that have a tri-fold design, so you can flip it to the back and actually use the triangular base it forms that would usually serve as a kickstand as a grip base for better device stability when recording.

The idea of a case with a camera cutout for when it's flipped is a lot less appealing when you'd have said cutout on the front most of the time as the use case scenario is a lot less common (recording VS just covering the screen during standby). Ergo, most people just let the flap hang.

Mike994

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I have spent quite some time on vainly searching for a smartphone book case type cover with a 'cut out' for the camera lens. I talked with a friend of mine about this and he said that he does not use a book case cover anymore as it is less stable whilst recording videos, which is my experience as well.
OTOH I prefer the safe feeling of a front cover protection and also the front cover makes the smartphone less 'slippery' so to say.

Though I am not aware of it, there must be a good (technical?) reason for not introducing such a book case cover (with front cover camera cut out).

I don't know what is being sold most (book case or back case).

Actually, I have both but still doubt what to do...

My S10 has Gorilla Glass 6 and has a screenprotector.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I have a cover for my tablet that let me record video with the cover completely folded back like SpookDroid described, but it made a terrible overall cover, so I dumped it for a traditional book cover. I use to use book covers on my phones when they were smaller, but as the phones have gotten bigger the book covers make them too bulky. I don't think book covers are big sellers for smartphones, so it might be hard to find the type of cover you're looking for :(

Mike994

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks.

I had a bookcase cover until a few days back. As said, for me, the only drawback of a book case cover is not having a good grip when recording a video (or taking a photo).
So, after a lengthy search, I decided to buy a Rhinoshield Solidsuit back cover. It offers a good protection. That is to say, they sell it that way. It is thicker than the book case.

I'll have to get used to it a bit I must say.
Depending on the use there may be some miner drawbacks over the book case type. For instance: if you want to move around your smartphone whilst having an app open, you can't touch the screen, whereas in the book case cover scenario you simply close the 'lid'/front cover. At least, I do that.

Also, with a closed front cover you'll have a better grip on the smartphone, even when the app is open (like listening to the radio, reading a news article).

To overcome this, I double-tap on the screen so as to shut it off. That way I will have more grip on the phone being more 'slippery' as before, with the slightly rugged surface book case cover.

As for tablet book case cover, I don't know. No doubt you are right.
I bought a book case cover together with my tablet quite a while ago, but actually it was a waste of money (usd.75) as I never used it, having a keyboard with the tablet.

Anyway, as said, I'll probably need to get used to it.

Note sure what type is sold most though. Some of my friends have a book case cover and others a back case.
That said, I believe neither one ever cared to consider, or sees any reason, to buy an alternative product ... :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unless the cut-out was functional on the front screen (like a smart cover), I would hate to have that hole on the front where the cover would reside most of the time.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
There are plethora of bookcover cases (granted, most are for tablets) that have a tri-fold design, so you can flip it to the back and actually use the triangular base it forms that would usually serve as a kickstand as a grip base for better device stability when recording.

The idea of a case with a camera cutout for when it's flipped is a lot less appealing when you'd have said cutout on the front most of the time as the use case scenario is a lot less common (recording VS just covering the screen during standby). Ergo, most people just let the flap hang.
That's the type of personality cover I use for my tablet.
I have a cover for my tablet that let me record video with the cover completely folded back like SpookDroid described, but it made a terrible overall cover, so I dumped it for a traditional book cover. I use to use book covers on my phones when they were smaller, but as the phones have gotten bigger the book covers make them too bulky. I don't think book covers are big sellers for smartphones, so it might be hard to find the type of cover you're looking for :(
For me, that type of cover is fine for my tablet, but I wouldn't want something similar for my phone.

Mike994

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Coincidentally saw somebody with S View Wallet Cover Galaxy A51
which comes pretty close to what I had in mind. Be it that the location of the camera lens is different and it has a different size.
But, as said, this comes close. Obviously the cut out should not be totally open to avoid adverse affects on photos.

I believe out of the trillion cases available, this is the only one that has this opening on the front.

Samsung Galaxy A51 - S View Wallet Cover-13072021.png