Question ADB fails to uninstall system apps

planeboy

Banned
Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
Well before I had a system app uninstaller, I cheated to uninstall apps using ADB, but it fails to uninstall. It simply kept erroring out.
Even using ADB shell doesn’t work. The rm -rf command I used to delete the folders containing the apps’ .apk files doesn’t do jack**** and they keep coming back even though I had root.
Does Xiaomi not allow you to uninstall system apps on budget smartphones like my 6A? I want a de bloated version of MIUI.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Try putting your phone and computer/laptop aside for a bit, restart both devices, and then go through the again from a 'clean start'.
These directions from XDA might help:
Be extra judicious about which apps you remove. if something goes wrong and you're lucky you'll just soft-brick your phone. In that case you'll probably just need to flash a stock firmware to restore the phone back into working condition. If you're not lucky and you hard-brick it, that's game over. Time to replace the phone itself.

This is all pretty intensive stuff that includes a lot of risk, is this your daily usage phone or just a secondary spare?
If the former be sure you've got a complete backup of your data. ADB itself might not be the magic utility required, and this applies to not just budget class phones but flagships too. Sometimes rooting is a requirement, and some models are notoriously very difficult to root.

planeboy

Banned
Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
Try putting your phone and computer/laptop aside for a bit, restart both devices, and then go through the again from a 'clean start'.
These directions from XDA might help:
Be extra judicious about which apps you remove. if something goes wrong and you're lucky you'll just soft-brick your phone. In that case you'll probably just need to flash a stock firmware to restore the phone back into working condition. If you're not lucky and you hard-brick it, that's game over. Time to replace the phone itself.

This is all pretty intensive stuff that includes a lot of risk, is this your daily usage phone or just a secondary spare?
If the former be sure you've got a complete backup of your data. ADB itself might not be the magic utility required, and this applies to not just budget class phones but flagships too. Sometimes rooting is a requirement, and some models are notoriously very difficult to root.
I am aware of what I am doing, but it kept saying an error when trying the following commands:
adb uninstall <package-name>
adb shell pm uninstall <package-name>
rm -rf in shell did delete the apks, but they kept coming back.
I tried uninstalling apps through TWRP by using its file manager, and again, it always fails until I tried to use ADB again.
I tried the two commands again, and they actually worked!
But of course MIUI put them back immediately on boot.
Why does rooted MIUI do this? I don’t need or want a custom ROM.
Device details:
Redmi 6A
MIUI version: MIUI 11
Android system version: Pie (9)
(serial and IMEI are not shown)
This is my daily, despite me always using this iPad Mini that runs Minecraft horribly at times.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Why does rooted MIUI do this? I don’t need or want a custom ROM.

ADB is a really useful utility, but it's also not going to be able to do everything and anything you want. I'm not saying rooting will be able to solve your problem either, it's also a way to be able to do more intensive, low-level tweaking. Rooting also involves a lot increased risk and usage problems. It's not a magic fix that some claim it is, do it to specific reasons. In your case, rooting your phone would allow you to try to clean up bloat locally, using native Android uitilies on your phone. ADB relies upon remotely accessing your phone. But again, some models are difficult to root.

Also, switching ROMs is not a requirement after rooting. Basically you're rooting the installed Android OS, just changing its permission levels. Continue using your rooted phone with its stock ROM or go through the added process of flashing a third-party ROM. That's your choice.
When your phone is rooted, this allows you access to the operating system and base file structure. In its normal status, unrooted, there's always a disctinction between root status and a general user. It's not like Windows as so many people mistakenly believe. With Windows you can just give a give a general user Administrative privileges (as long as you know the Admin password). With Android however, that kind of easy access isn't as easy to bypass.

Have you looked through some of postings at XDA Developers on your model for tips:
Something lhis MiUI Debloater might help:

This being your daily usage phone, be extra careful.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

planeboy

Banned
Apr 19, 2024
Visit site

ADB is a really useful utility, but it's also not going to be able to do everything and anything you want. I'm not saying rooting will be able to solve your problem either, it's also a way to be able to do more intensive, low-level tweaking. Rooting also involves a lot increased risk and usage problems. It's not a magic fix that some claim it is, do it to specific reasons. In your case, rooting your phone would allow you to try to clean up bloat locally, using native Android uitilies on your phone. ADB relies upon remotely accessing your phone. But again, some models are difficult to root.

Also, switching ROMs is not a requirement after rooting. Basically you're rooting the installed Android OS, just changing its permission levels. Continue using your rooted phone with its stock ROM or go through the added process of flashing a third-party ROM. That's your choice.
When your phone is rooted, this allows you access to the operating system and base file structure. In its normal status, unrooted, there's always a disctinction between root status and a general user. It's not like Windows as so many people mistakenly believe. With Windows you can just give a give a general user Administrative privileges (as long as you know the Admin password). With Android however, that kind of easy access isn't as easy to bypass.

Have you looked through some of postings at XDA Developers on your model for tips:
Something lhis MiUI Debloater might help:

This being your daily usage phone, be extra careful.
I’ve already been banned on XDA, and secondly, I’ve already bricked my phone from deleting the Security and PowerKeeper app.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ugo