After an update, only pattern lock opens Samsung Galaxy Note 5

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello,

This is my first time posting here and I would like to thank forum members beforehand for any responses I get to this issue. That being said, here's the problem. My sister ( I am sure you heard that one before, but I am being truthful) has a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (SM-N920P) that prior to an update, she used her fingerprint to open the device. After the update, she can longer access the device via biometrics and it requires the pattern lock to open, which she doesn't remember. At present, she is locked out of the device. When the device was purchased at the Sprint store, it was linked with her gmail account enabling the security features lock, erase, and find. I though this was a workaround for the pattern lock and locked the phone, thinking I could unlock and circumvent the pattern lock, which isn't the case. The pattern lock supersedes negates the ability to lock the device via Google Android Manager. We've contacted both Samsung and Sprint and were told the device would have to be hard reset, thereby losing all her data. -\_("/)_/- That doesn't seem fair, considering she, not being very tech savvy had Sprint enable the remote features associated with linking it to her Gmail account. I have a bit of a programming background and was looking at scenarios using ODIN and TWRP or The Android Studio to disable the pattern lock, but most require OEM Unlock to be enabled or the phone to be in debugging mode and that's not possible in it's present state. Recovering her data is the key and this seems like an interesting puzzle. Any information anyone can provide is appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you use fingerprint unlock, the phone will still ask for the backup password/PIN/pattern occasionally, for increased security. This is usually when doing a cold start, or if the fingerprint unlock was unsuccessful for a few times. It is very important to remember the backup password/PIN/pattern for this reason.

You could try using Samsung's Find My Mobile to remotely change the lock, but I'm not sure if that will work in this situation: https://findmymobile.samsung.com/

Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll probably have to do a hardware key factory reset: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-factory-reset-galaxy-note-5. When the phone starts up again, she'll have to enter her Google account and password, since Factory Reset Protection would have been activated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex-1999