Question Android 13 app notification limit

defiantsnack000

May 20, 2023
Visit site
Hi all! I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S23, and as much as I love it, I hate that I can't have more than 24 notifications from a single app in my notification shade at one time. I go hours without checking my phone sometimes, and I'll miss notifications entirely sometimes because they will stop showing in my notification shade/panel after that 24 limit. I know there is the notification history feature that exists, but that isn't readily accessible like how notifications show on the lock screen and notification shade. Does every Android phone have this same limit per app? If not, which phones are known to allow more than just 24 per app?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. I don't want to say it is never the device limiting the number of notifications but I will say that it is almost always the app itself. I actually had this discussion and debate back in 2020 where we proved that some apps can display over 100 while others only displayed 20 or 30.

You mentioned 24, would the app in question be Twitter? Twitter starting with Android 10 began limiting their app badge/notification count to 24. YouTube 99, a few email apps 100+, and I believe someone posted a screenshot of an app with over 300 . It is the app not the device or it was in those cases.

I could only find two threads that I participated in talking about this but neither appear to be the one I'm thinking of but you can see them for yourself here in these links.
Hope this helps.

defiantsnack000

May 20, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. I don't want to say it is never the device limiting the number of notifications but I will say that it is almost always the app itself. I actually had this discussion and debate back in 2020 where we proved that some apps can display over 100 while others only displayed 20 or 30.

You mentioned 24, would the app in question be Twitter? Twitter starting with Android 10 began limiting their app badge/notification count to 24. YouTube 99, a few email apps 100+, and I believe someone posted a screenshot of an app with over 300 . It is the app not the device or it was in those cases.

I could only find two threads that I participated in talking about this but neither appear to be the one I'm thinking of but you can see them for yourself here in these links.
Hope this helps.
Hello! In my case, while badge notification numbers that appear on the apps' icons have and do exceed 24 (like Gmail and YouTube as you mentioned), the notifications that can be shown (let's call them "active" notifications) specifically in the notification panel and lock screen cease to show beyond 24 at a time. At first, I thought it was just one of my apps, but I've tested this over and over with dozens of different ones, and this issue (or possible design) is present with all of them. No single app can show more than 24 "active" individual notifications. I get upwards of 1000+ notifications a day, so you can imagine there are a lot them that I miss if I don't clear my notification shade/panel fast enough for them to not accumulate

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Interesting findings. I am one to let certain notifications pile up, mostly email, and mine only go to 3 or 4 before they stack together and then, in the case of my email notifications, it never displays more than about 4 individual subjects for each account before new items begin pushing out older ones. They are always there when I open the app and show up as unread where I can easily see what I've missed. I don't have many notifications that I care about and don't check the app with regularity. I mean if it's important to me I'm more than just looking at my notifications I'm also opening the app. 24 would be a lot to me and go back far enough that if I saw it sitting at that number I would just assume there were more/others needing to be checked. When you go into the app, you haven't named a specific app, does it not show an unread count, or take you to a dashboard for all of your missed or waiting items? I don't doubt that you may miss some with a volume like that, I'm sure the design is to keep things clean and uncluttered.

The only other thing I could think of would be to do something like changing your launcher. I know a lot of them offer customizations for displaying notifications and other things. Maybe a Nova Launcher or Windows Launcher or something would allow you to up that number. I don't have enough experience with 3rd party launchers or interest in that aspect to offer any better advice. Perhaps someone else will chime in on this as you're probably not alone in this desire.

Best wishes. If you find a solution post back so that others who find your thread can find some help too.